PDA

View Full Version : First DL overnighter

callthedoctor
05-29-2003, 07:11 PM
Hi....

My family and I will be at DL (Paradise Pier) for 5 days and 4 nights 6/2-6/6....

This is the first time I have ever had the opportunity to RELAX and see it all....(used to be a SoCal'er and we always did the rushed 1 day per year thing...., now I'm grown up though :)

Any suggestions on special stuff....???

I've never been to DCL, but my kids are only 3 and <1....

Since we are at the Pier, I understand we can use the pool at the DLH ?

My 3 year old is about 38 inches tall...can I still get her onto Splash Mtn even though she is less than 40...seems odd that I can take her to R rated movies but not fun rides at DL....

Found out that the Tea with Mary Poppins at PP is done also...I thought they were going untill Nov.....big dissapoinment there....

Heard alot about the Fantasmic show....is it still on, when?

p.s. I'm a cheapskate on semi-limitied budget....

Thanks...

MammaSilva
05-29-2003, 07:40 PM
Since you are staying 'on property' and can pool hop... the Neverland Pool at the DLH is a 'must' for your little one.

I am guessing you are asking for special things for your little ones... it's sad that the Practically Perfect Tea no longer is available and they haven't gotten around to doing the Princess event that was rumored to take it's place.

However, there are some great things you can do with your little one ...besides the obvious.... make time to take them to the Aladdin show at Disneyland... NOT the show at the theater in DCA...... check and see what time the princess story telling event happens in fantasyland.....as for meals.. the two 'best' character meals are either the breakfast at the Plaza Inn with the 100 acre wood crew or Goofys Kitchen with Goofy and assorted Characters...

as for the rides.... while it's true you can take her to an R rated movie, and while I don't agree with the idea.. at least at the movie the only thing at risk would be her hearing/seeing things I personally wouldn't want my little one to hear/see.. rides are different.. her physical safety is at risk... is it worth trying to cheat the requirement and take her on a ride this year that she's too short for? What would you do if she should be hurt because of it?

mousketeer
05-29-2003, 07:40 PM
I'd be glad to give a few suggestions:

1. As per height, Disney is very strict due to legal liabilities. So, unless your dayghter's Weeboks have platforms, don't expect any exceptions.
2. If you really want to splurge on a Fantasmic experience, make reservations for the Disney Gallery Dessert show, which gives you a prime viewing spot, complimentary bevergaes (including Mint Juleps), and a box of gourmet desserts. I believe the costs is $45.
3. For dining, I always push guests to try a full-service restaurant, like the Carnation Cafe or the Vineyard Room. Other terrific choices are the Plaza Inn, Cafe Orleans, Petite Patisserie (when its open twice a year), Rancho del Zocalo, and DCA's Pacific Wharf eateries.
4. For your daughter, try to visit the Enchanted Tiki Room, Peter Pan's Flight, Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, and Mickey's Toontown. Take note that most Fantasyland rides are quite spooky, especially Snow White and Alice and Wonderland, and they will probably scare your daughter.
5. Take advantage of the parades, and the many unique live entertainment venues in New Orleans Square and Main Street.
6. For a great memento, buy your daughter mouse ears, and have her name engraved. I still have mine that my mother got me when I was four!

Hope you have a wonderful trip. Feel free to ask any more questions.

Disney Nick
05-29-2003, 09:34 PM
I don't even think that Fantasmic is running those days, as it isn't back from hiatus for a few more weeks.

Someone else will have more information.

swtkissez
05-29-2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by NMoreles
I don't even think that Fantasmic is running those days, as it isn't back from hiatus for a few more weeks.

Someone else will have more information.

I believe NMoreles is right, there is no info on the official website for Fantasmic within those dates. I believe it returns the 3rd week in June, but i could be wrong. Sorry about that, hope u have with your little one. :)

sydney
05-30-2003, 10:57 AM
Hope you have fun! Though Fantasmic will not be running (it returns 6/13, and the balcony seats are now $47), make sure you have a good spot to view Believe!

DivaPrincess
05-30-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by callthedoctor
Hi....

My 3 year old is about 38 inches tall...can I still get her onto Splash Mtn even though she is less than 40...seems odd that I can take her to R rated movies but not fun rides at DL....

p.s. I'm a cheapskate on semi-limitied budget....

Thanks...

I'm honestly not trying to be mean or rude, but I hope you understand that height limits are put there for your childs safety. I used to work at a theme park, and was often times horrified at parents arguing with me, trying to get their children who didn't meet the height requirement on the ride. I had to call security on more than one occasion. What saddened me was that I felt that I was more concerned for the childrens safety than the parents themselves. I'm not saying that you aren't concerned for your child, but as disappointing as it may be, it's for the best. I really wish I could take my 3-year old on Splash, but at the same time, I think I would have a hard time making her stay seated with the new seat configuration, and the drop would terrify her.

As for cheap, what we do is load the bottom of our stroller with water and powerade so we don't have to spend $2.75 on a bottle of water, and we bring a few snacks. We also eat before we get to the park, then eat lunch in the park, then have dinner off property. There are some decent restaruants across the street, and they make for a nice break. But, I think we save the most by bringing our own drinks.

callthedoctor
05-30-2003, 02:02 PM
Thanks for all your replies and your concerns over height req's....

We'll be safe rather than sorry...plus there is so much sensory overload at the Park anyway, I'm sure we can do w/o Splash Mountain....

I just remember all those characters....they were GREAT...however, I remember them from the America Sings days....which happened to be my favorite DL attraction...really wished they would have kept it....

Anybody remember that...what happened?

kisroo
05-30-2003, 02:17 PM
Some more suggestions for the "around 3ish" crowd: I agree with mammasilva~do one of the character buffets. I loved the one at Goofy's Kitchen!! We also explored the "grounds" in and around the hotels with our niece when she was about 3yrs. She loved all the gardens, the fish pond (do they still have that??), etc. It really is too bad about the Practically Perfect Tea~we did that as well.
We also spent time in our hotel pool and room.
As far as rides: She loved Pirates, but was scared of some of the dark rides (Pinocchio and Alice~we didn't even attempt Snow White). I've also heard other parents say their 3yrs loved DCA Bug's Land~so I would check that out. Muppets in a good one, but there are some surprising parts.

Have you considered getting one of the travel books? They do a nice job of outlining rides and things by age/tolerance level. I like the Unofficial Guide and the Birnbaums Guide.

Good luck and have fun!!! :)

DivaPrincess
05-30-2003, 03:25 PM
I do feel your pain - I think without the drop, Splash Mountain is a lot less scary than a lot of the Fantasyland dark rides. I know it's an impossible dream, but wouldn't it be nice if they had an alternative track that would bypass the drop, just for those of us with young-uns and weak stomachs.

And, keep in mind, I don't know how you feel about riding alone, but if you really need a ride, you can switch off with your wife by asking the cast member at the ride que about the rider switch program, or using the single rider line.

mousketeer
05-30-2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by DivaPrincess
I do feel your pain - I think without the drop, Splash Mountain is a lot less scary than a lot of the Fantasyland dark rides. I know it's an impossible dream, but wouldn't it be nice if they had an alternative track that would bypass the drop, just for those of us with young-uns and weak stomachs.

And, keep in mind, I don't know how you feel about riding alone, but if you really need a ride, you can switch off with your wife by asking the cast member at the ride que about the rider switch program, or using the single rider line.

I agree. Snow White still scares me today:crying:

dsnylndmom
05-30-2003, 06:14 PM
If your daughter is a Little Mermaid fan you may want to consider Ariel's Grotto for a character meal. We LOVED it, our food was delicious, the 4 year old girl with us loved meeting Ariel and Goofy, Minnie, Chip and Dale were great with our kids and doing the Conga!

If your daughter is scared of thunder, be prepared there is some at the end of the Tiki Room, when we went in April the 4 year old girl that was with us was freaked at that. On the other hand neither of my boys are scared of any of the dark rides(and never have been, they are now 4 & 8) or shows are either DL or DCA so it just depends on the kid!

As for being cheap, we bring our own water and capri suns, freeze them the night before to save cash and for snacks bring fruit snacks, granola bars, trail mix etc.

Oh your daughter will probably LOVE the autograph books and collecting the signatures too!:p

Have fun!
Tina

kisroo
05-30-2003, 06:52 PM
Fantasmic can be pretty intense for preschool age. Some will love it, some will be scared.

Also, don't miss the Electric Parade over in DCA if it is running~good for young and old! ;) And we had fun exploring the Redwood trail area (think that's what it's called).

Rangnar
05-30-2003, 07:27 PM
we went last Dec for my son's 3rd BD - and the baby was 4 mo. They both loved it - the baby just liked the attention from everyone: cm's, characters, and people (I carried him in a belly pouch often). The 3yo was 40" so he got to do a little more. And yes, just a little short is too short. He would get checked maybe 3 times for one ride at BTMRR (his favorite).

I think she will get a big kick out of the characters autographs - wow, I had no Idea my son would like it so much. We didn't even suggest it to him, he just saw the other kids doing it and wanted a try. He doesn't even know what an autograph is, just that "Buzz wrote in my book daddy (about 10 times)." He never got tired of it, and we have lots of great pictures with hugs. And, once you buy the book, the rest is free.

And don't forget the baby swap's!!! They are gold. Plus you can turn fastpasses into swaps as well. That is a great service and keeps the real young ones out of long lines - which is good for everybody.

Have a great time - you are never to young to start.