PDA

View Full Version : Pirates...

callthedoctor
05-29-2003, 07:03 PM
Sorry, I'm new here....hope I'm not beating a dead horse...

Last year when we went to DL, Pirates of Carribean was CLOSED...and I now notice that it is down until May 30....

We will be there next week and I am hoping (praying) that it will be open...as I haven't been on in several years....

Could somebody give some details on the closure (why?) and will it for sure be open after 5/30?

Thanks...

TheManator
05-29-2003, 07:07 PM
Just it's standard rehab, and yes, it will be open Friday May 30th

CrayZforDisney
05-29-2003, 07:14 PM
Great Thread, callthedoctor! Hope you like mousepad!

Disney constantly needs to refurbish attractions. That is their trademark. Especially one of their most popular attractions... Pirates of the Carribean. Most refurbishments are for paint, general saftey inspections, air conditioning repairs, and other small elements. Currently, most of Disneyland is down for refurbishment. Space Mountian, Pirates of the Carribean, Tom Sawyer's Island, the whole New Orleans Square, and the Rivers of America are currently being refurbished. The current rehabilitation for Pirates of the Carribean is for preperation for the new movie premier at Disneyland. Don't count on any changes to the attraction.

Hope I've answered all your questions! :)

Not Afraid
05-29-2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by CrayZforDisney
Currently, most of Disneyland is down for refurbishment. Space Mountian, Pirates of the Carribean, Tom Sawyer's Island, the whole New Orleans Square, and the Rivers of America are currently being refurbished.

The current rehabilitation for Pirates of the Carribean is for preperation for the new movie premier at Disneyland. Don't count on any changes to the attraction.

Just a few things to straighten out the truth. I wouldn't want callthedoctor to think DL is no worth the visit.

Pirates is not down in preparation for the Pirates movie, it IS down for it's yearly refurb and will be back up May 30. The Pirates movie and event are scheduled for July.

New Orleans Square has some spot treatments being done. It is NOT being completly refurbished, not is it closed.

Tom Sawyers Island is still accessable by raft on the fully filled Rivers of America, but parts of the Island are closed and still being worked on.

Space is closed until 2005.

Lashbear
05-29-2003, 07:32 PM
I'd go even if it was just Indy and the HM open ! :fez:

PS: Welcome callthedoctor ! (Or can we call you CTD for short?)

RideMax Mark
05-29-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
The Pirates movie and event are scheduled for July.

Isn't the Pirates event June 28th?

Not Afraid
05-29-2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by RideMax Mark
Isn't the Pirates event June 28th?

July 9th is the event and also the date of the film's wide release. Are you possibly thinking of the date for the Press Event? The PR Event is where they are going to put the red carpet down main street and do all of the neat things they are NOT going to do for the ticketed event (which is why I am not going:rolleyes: )

RideMax Mark
05-30-2003, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
July 9th is the event and also the date of the film's wide release. Are you possibly thinking of the date for the Press Event? The PR Event is where they are going to put the red carpet down main street and do all of the neat things they are NOT going to do for the ticketed event (which is why I am not going:rolleyes: )

Ahhh .... You're correct -- I was thinking of the Press Event!

refurbmike
05-30-2003, 10:44 AM
Yea, every year Pirates goes down so that Disney can do work with the flume dry. Small World also goes down during the winter for standard maintenance.

I know that they are doing work on the flume during this refurb, with special consideration to the first drop.

And as a minor plug, you can check out the rest of the refurb schedule at RideRefurbs.com (http://www.RideRefurbs.com).

Thomas
05-31-2003, 11:59 AM
POTC was down twice on 05/30 as far as I observed. We got there around 2:30pm and it was closed. It opened later and I got 3 FP for 7:10. Came back at 7:30, and guess what? It was closed again.

Other things closed on and off throughout the day:

Pooh: twice
Thunder Mtn: twice
Autopia and Monorail: once. in fact, CM's would not let you into that section of the park (around 5:30pm).

I believe Autopia was closed for the rest of the day. Went around that area about 8pm and still did not see any cars moving.

cemeinke
06-01-2003, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Thomas
Autopia and Monorail: once. in fact, CM's would not let you into that section of the park (around 5:30pm).

Yup - Bees :~D

me&mickeymcgee
06-01-2003, 12:26 AM
as a pirates CM, we are back and in full force again. there have been down times but they are very short. we don't even have to empty the queue the majority of the time. please bear with us.
also, the premiere of the film is june 28 and opens in theatres july 9. the ugly green fences throughout frontierland and new orleans square are for permanent outdoor vending carts. pooh goes down due to backups of vehicles inside the ride. if there are guests loading or unloading slowly, mostly wheelchairs and people simply not paying attention, this causes a backup and if the backup goes to a certain point, the ride automatically e-stops. we like telling people that so they load quckly. pooh down times are very short (under 20 min.) and guests are more than welcome to stay in line. this proves nobody's perfect, not even disneyland.

Haldwitten
06-01-2003, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Thomas
Other things closed on and off throughout the day:

Pooh: twice
Thunder Mtn: twice

I believe Autopia was closed for the rest of the day. Went around that area about 8pm and still did not see any cars moving.

Bees? Argh... those little varmints are the bane of the Eastside, yet celebrated in attractions on the Westside (Splash and Pooh). Ha Ha!

Also, just a friendly reminder that rides do break down from time to time... and not "closed" on a whim. Whenever there is a downtime, Facilities work like madmen to get the ride back up and running as soon as possible. Nine times out of ten, a ride goes down because of something incredibly minor requiring no big "fix."

Most of the time on Pooh, the ride "breaks down" because of a slow boarding or unboarding Guest. It happens. No one wants it to happen... but it does.

And right now, the only two things officially "down" on a day to day basis are "Sleeping Beauty's Castle walkthrough" and "Space Mountain." (And Superstar Limo, but you're not missing anything there). Yes, Tom Sawyer's Island is being worked on, but you can still visit half the island.

hazlnut
06-01-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by CrayZforDisney
Currently, most of Disneyland is down for refurbishment.

You can say that again.

Refurbs seem longer and more frequent than they used to. Pretty soon, at the main entrance ticket booths, they're going to just be listing the 3 or 4 rides that are open.

refurbmike
06-02-2003, 12:14 PM
Refurbs seem longer and more frequent than they used to. Pretty soon, at the main entrance ticket booths, they're going to just be listing the 3 or 4 rides that are open. [/B]

And my site will grow in popularity! Mwa ha ha!!! :~D