PDA

View Full Version : Inversion Roller Coaster in Disneyland

Gregmh48
08-14-2001, 07:08 PM
Would you be angry if Disney built a roller coaster with inversions inside Disneyland?

Gauchograd99
08-14-2001, 08:16 PM
I would certainly be angry seeing as I cannot ride ANYTHING that inverts. Long story... anyhoo, a ride with inversions just isn't really Disney to me. Inversions are for Caedar Fair, Six Flags, and other "coaster" park owners. There is no need to go upgide down to have a blast on a coaster, and there is no need to be the fastest, tallest, or wildest ride to be the best either. I will take Space Mtn over Ghostrider anyday, but Ghostrider is fun once in a while.

I vote NO on looping coasters in Disneyland.

DisneylandKid
08-14-2001, 08:29 PM
Same with me. One in DCA is good enough! (Plus; a regular coaster, such as Matterhorn and Big Thunder applies to a large audience.)

Cadaverous Pallor
08-14-2001, 08:32 PM
I vote yes! Walt himself was around when they built the Matterhorn, which was the highest tech coaster at the time. There may be "no need to go upside down to have a blast on a coaster" but isn't going above and beyond what the public expects the traditional hallmark of Disney quality? The first operating looping coaster in the world was built 10 years after Walt's death....don't you think he would have wanted in on this new technology? He was always on top of things like that.

Besides, looping coasters rock. :D

Gauchograd99
08-14-2001, 08:56 PM
I think that inversions begin to lead to a conflict for a Disney ride. Walt made rides that the family could enjoy TOGETHER and the problem is that inversions leave many people out of the ride whether for height or health issues. At the same time, as you stated, Walt wanted to be at the top of innovations. Perhaps there is a way to theme the inversion to make someone think they are not head over heels as that is what causes my issue... I have very low blood pressure. I cannot deal with simulators due to a vertigo-like issue (the inner ear and eyes/brain don't agree so I get seasick), but I agree that a simulator is impressive... even if I leave feeling weak legged.
I guess that I am more a fan of the traditional coaster and so inversions are just a bit of "fluff" for those who really like to injure themselves. I personally think that up and down, left and right is all that you need to be able to have a good time if THEMED correctly (see that Eisner... no cutouts please).

Bill Catherall
08-15-2001, 07:03 AM
If I'm not mistaken, I think Space Mountain in Florida (or Paris) has inversions.

I think that if there is a good theme to the ride and an inversion (or two) is used to fulfill the theme then it should be used. Ride design should be like movie making. All the good movies that use special effects do so to help the theme. Movies that use state of the art special effects just because they are trying to out-do last year's summer blockbusters, and just because "they can" aren't as enjoyable overall.

First and foremost develop the story and theme for the ride. Then incorporate effects and "ride magic" to draw the rider into the story. If that involves any kind of inversion then go for it. Just don't build the ride around the inversion. Make it a thematic element. I believe this is the way Walt wanted the rides to be. He would use state of the art to tell the story. I think the ride would be a big hit if done this way. It also fits the Disney "profile."

Good example: Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye.

Doodle Duck
08-15-2001, 07:16 AM
Nit-picker: Technicaly, Inversion Coasters do not put YOU upside down...it refers to the CAR being underslung on the track.
Spellbreaker at Legoland is an Inversion Coaster...you definately stay right side up.

mad4mky
08-15-2001, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Bill Catherall
If I'm not mistaken, I think Space Mountain in Florida (or Paris) has inversions.Space Mountain in Florida does not have inversions. But, it has two tracks inside the building.

WDW does have an inverted coaster...but its a Disney MGM Studios....Rock * Roller Coaster featuring Aerosmith. It's inside a building...and dark like Space Mountain.

[Moderator's Note: vB code for quoted material fixed. -- Lani]

Bill Catherall
08-15-2001, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by DoodleDuck(A.E)
Nit-picker: Technicaly, Inversion Coasters do not put YOU upside down...it refers to the CAR being underslung on the track.
Spellbreaker at Legoland is an Inversion Coaster...you definately stay right side up.

Actually, I think what you refer to is a suspended coaster. An inversion is anything that puts the rider upsidedown. A loop, corkscrew, etc. are all inversions.

JeffG
08-15-2001, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by DoodleDuck(A.E)

Actually, that is an inverted coaster.

The terms get confusing, but "inverted" means that the vehicle runs below the track while "inversions" refer to parts of the coaster that turn you upside down.

-Jeff

Bill Catherall
08-15-2001, 09:20 AM
I found what I was looking for. In an Ask Doc Krock article Space Mountain - Part 1 (http://www.mouseplanet.com/kkrock/dockrock-2.htm) he says, "What set the Paris version apart from all the others are the catapult launch, a loop and a corkscrew!"

WizKidRyan
08-15-2001, 09:42 AM
In my eyes (keeping in mind i'm a coaster enthusiest), Disneyland would not be tarnished by an inverting coaster...But, you must keep in mind two things. First, it has to be designed properly...The one at DCA is, and therefor the loop is smooth and really doesnt mess with you too much. Second, you have to remember that the coasters Disneyland has now were all built before loops were really existed (safely).
Now, keeping in mind those two points, I think that if Walt Disney were still alive today, there may just be a chance that we would see a inverting coaster at Disneyland.

Ralph Wiggum
08-15-2001, 10:00 AM
I agree with you that disneyland should be a place for the whole family but that doesnt mean there can not be rides that may limit who can ride. There are restrictions for the existing rides, including health restrictions. As long as they keep building other attractions that are not so extreme I don't think it should be a problem. One thing I would love to see at either park instead of an E ticket coaster type(though I wouldn't mind being a coaster enthusiest as well), they need to build a long ride similar to haunted mansion and Pirates, with AA up the wazoo.

Cadaverous Pallor
08-15-2001, 10:44 AM
I agree w/Ralph on everything. :D You know, my father has such a problem with rudimentary spinning rides that he could never go on Teacups, or even the Carousel. I have lots of pictures of my mom and I on the Carousel, taken by my dad watching from the sidelines. Just because a ride can't be ridden by everyone doesn't disqualify it. Three-year-olds can't ride the Matterhorn.

I guess that I am more a fan of the traditional coaster and so inversions are just a bit of "fluff" for those who really like to injure themselves.

??? I am a die-hard coaster fan....I don't wish to cause any drama here....but ???? I'm taking it that you were kidding, Gaucho.

Bill mentioning Indy is a very good example. It's all about theming. This is why, even though I'm a coaster fiend, I am fine with the fact that there are no "extreme" coasters at Dland. I ride Space Mountain/Big Thunder/Matterhorn all the time and have a good time doing it. Theming first!

GREGOR
08-15-2001, 11:20 AM
I agree that DL could add a few extreme rides with inversions and such and still maintain the "family together" thing.
DLP actually has three inversions: two on Space Mountain (that corkscrew does take you upside down to a degree) and one on the Temple of Peril-Backwards.

Doodle Duck
08-15-2001, 11:59 AM
JeffG say's "Actually, that is an inverted coaster. "

Yep...my typing faster than my brain again, is on display.