PDA

View Full Version : Tom Sawyer Island - Swaying Room?

Geneva
06-05-2011, 05:33 PM
Hopefully this question doesn't just make me sound crazy, but I was in DL last week with my husband and parents and we spent some time on Tom Sawyer Island. We came across a room that had audio playing that sounded like a boat creaking, and I swear the room was swaying slightly back and forth. My husband didn't believe me at first, but after spending several minutes in the room we were all convinced that it was definitely moving with the creaking sounds, albeit a small amount. I have no idea how this effect was produced, since the room looks like it's built right on the ground and there were no visible breaks anywhere between the floor and the ground outside.

Anyone else notice this, or was it all in our heads? It was one of those fun little hidden gems that I love finding at the park!

Geneva
06-06-2011, 06:09 PM
Looks like I'm officially crazy. :)

Rufus T Firefly
06-06-2011, 06:50 PM
That's OK. We're all crazy here. Crazy about Disneyland.

Bytebear
06-06-2011, 07:11 PM
Maybe spirits were involved (or maybe ghosts too).

potzbie
06-06-2011, 11:10 PM
...Tom Sawyer Island... We came across a room that had audio playing that sounded like a boat creaking, and I swear the room was swaying slightly back and forth.

"Room"?

Where?
• Injun Joe's cave?
• Tom's treehouse?
• Old mill?
• Fort Wilderness?

How many "rooms" are there even on the whole island? :confused:

Geneva
06-07-2011, 07:38 AM
It was on the back side of the island back near Fort Wilderness. Like I said, it had audio playing that sounded like a ship. It also had a small step ladder and a couple of metal "trunks" to sit on.

DwarfPlanet
06-08-2011, 02:14 PM
Don't know the answer but its going to be something to look for next trip.

screamin4ever
06-09-2011, 05:21 PM
I think you are referring to the ship wreck room. It does not move, however the "boards" of the ship are all slanted given the room an optical illusion that it is leaning. I don't know if they did this on purpose to cause the sensation, but it is a little odd feeling to me too. Reminded me of the "Haunted Shack" that was once at Knott's.

Geneva
06-09-2011, 09:08 PM
The ship wreck room sounds about right. I swear it was moving. Maybe not though! If any of you go check it out, please report back so I don't feel crazy.

Goodnplenty
06-10-2011, 05:42 AM
I don't think I've ever seen the shipwreck room. Could someone direct me to a picture of it?

GnP

Geneva
06-10-2011, 07:00 AM
I didn't take pictures, but there was a display in the room with some barnacles, possibly a skull....the room has water-y ship noises and several metal "chests" to sit on. There's a small step ladder that leads up to a kind of hub room with several other exits. That's about the best that I can describe it.

Goodnplenty
06-10-2011, 11:21 AM
I'm pretty certain I've never seen this. Oh boy, something else new to look forward to in Nov! Thanks for sharing!

GnP

MadasaHatter
06-11-2011, 11:39 AM
That's OK. We're all crazy here. Crazy about Disneyland.

Don't let's be silly....some of us are mad....

Oh and by the by I have heard the creaky ship but didn't think the room swayed....did you just get off Space Mountain?

cheshirecatgirl
06-15-2011, 09:57 AM
Okay, I went to check this out on Sunday. Indeed there is the room, as you described. It looks more like a cave, and the actual ship is above it. The room had the sound effects and everything, but it was definitely not moving! Although I could see how you might get that sensation from the sounds and also if you had just finished climbing some stairs and were a little winded (as I was). You can climb up to the top of the ship, great views! It was a cool spot.

Also, I discovered if you walk around behind the fort, there is a treasure area and a frontier graveyard!

Geneva
06-16-2011, 04:57 PM
Thanks for checking! There were three of us and we all concluded that it was slightly moving. Maybe we were all slightly crazy. :)

IllusionOfLife
06-16-2011, 09:20 PM
Yeah, I was there last week and did not notice any movement of the room either. It's probably just a psychological thing, you hear the sound effects coupled the slant of the room itself and your brain fills in the gaps. That's likely also why your husband didn't notice it until you had him looking for it, once he was trying to see it his brain did the rest of the work.

Goodnplenty
06-17-2011, 05:25 AM
Could someone describe where this is on Tom's Island? I'm not very familiar with it. I would love to see this when I'm at DL in Nov.

Thanks in advance!
GnP

IllusionOfLife
06-17-2011, 06:26 AM
Could someone describe where this is on Tom's Island? I'm not very familiar with it. I would love to see this when I'm at DL in Nov.

It's all the way towards the back of the island. Before you hit Fort Wilderness you'll see what looks like the back end of a ship sticking out of the ground.