PDA

View Full Version : New background music: Especially main st usa!

MadasaHatter
06-02-2011, 08:51 AM
So I just got back from the parks and tend to go a maximum of 3 times a year and I am starting to get tired of the music on MAIN ST USA especially. I mean how many times can you hear OKLAHOMA and HELLO DOLLY! And if they are using music from these old chestnuts what about using OTHER songs from those musicals.

I have noticed the same BEEF IT'S WHAT FOR DINNER song in Frontierland forever too.

I mean the Jungle sounds and Tiki Room sounds of Adventureland are fine.

Fantasyland- is there any music in general? Or is it ride specific such as the oompahpah yodel-ish music on the BOBSLEDS. Why are there no musical groups ever in Fantasyland? I guess there are groups in front of the castle where there is room so that is ok....

TOMORROWLAND- is there music? I thought at one time there were droid announcements and space announcements. THere is that dumb communications tower....does that still go off?

I would love to hear all of your ideas on these things.

stan4d_steph
06-02-2011, 10:20 AM
I have noticed the same BEEF IT'S WHAT FOR DINNER song in Frontierland forever too.That's a classic American piece by Aaron Copland called, "Hoe-down" from his ballet, "Rodeo." Please make a note of it.

woody9six
06-02-2011, 10:43 AM
I always found this site (http://www.disneymusicloops.com/) to be an interesting repository for this kind of info. And according to the site, the current Main St. Loop has been in place since 1992.

MadasaHatter
06-02-2011, 02:05 PM
That's right it IS Aaron Copland. My sis Tracemountain always says "BEEF, IT'S WHAT FOR DINNER" when we walk through FL.

1992!!!!! YUP 20 years later it is time to change it up I think.

shna
06-02-2011, 02:07 PM
Why? It's supposed to have an early 20th century feel to it - the music seems perfect as it is. I don't think they should change it just for the sake of changing it.

olegc
06-02-2011, 02:20 PM
each loop in Frontierland, Main St. USA, and NOS has about 15 songs or so i believe. maybe only 10 - but it does rotate. The Frontierland loop I know changes because i like to hang out on the bench in front of Pioneer Mercantile and hear people walk on the wooden path (like in the old west). Bonanza, Gunsmoke, Wild Wild West, riders in the sky - I have heard all of them. I doubt you will ever hear modern pieces anywhere on Main St., etc.

There used to be loops for Adventureland and TOmorrowland and many of the internet-based Disney fan sites dedicated to streaming music play them occasionally. Fantasyland only had the sounds from each attraction - and some extras (go listen to Wendy tell the story of Peter Pan to john and michael under the window of their nursery). Toontown does have a loop as well.

I guess you could say the loop music is never intended for someone to sit and listen - it's designed to set the mood of the land...

MadasaHatter
06-02-2011, 09:14 PM
Why? It's supposed to have an early 20th century feel to it - the music seems perfect as it is. I don't think they should change it just for the sake of changing it.

Why? Because one walks up and down MAIN ST USA (I know I spend more time there than most!) and I have been listening to the same songs for 20 years. It's time to change it. The other lands have more noise and energy so it would be nice to have some new (and I don't mean LED ZEPPELIN new I mean NEW OLD songs) There are thousands of appropriate songs. If they can change IASW and HM every year I think someone could stick their iPod into the MAIN ST soundtrack holder. Just saying. Of course....you know I am mad!

carolinakid
06-03-2011, 03:57 AM
As a show tune queen, I LOVE stutting up Main St to the tunes of Put On Your Sunday Clothes and Elegance!

AJDerrick
06-03-2011, 07:39 AM
The music is how I really know I'm 'home', so I don't think I'd want to throw it out the window. Maybe add in a couple new songs that mesh well with the existing loop, but I'm not ready to say goodbye to the ones I've always heard.

CariBelle
06-03-2011, 10:25 AM
Doesn't the Main Street loop change at Halloween and Christmas times?
We enjoyed the Pearl Button Band (Pearly Button Band? I can't never remember their exact name) in Fantasyland on Mother's Day, they were performing by the heraldry shop.

danyoung
06-03-2011, 12:12 PM
For anyone interested in having their very own recording of some of the Disney park loops (and show soundtracks!), go to live365.com, and click on the Mouse Radio station. In a very short time I recorded 2 different Main Street loops, the old Epcot entry loop, as well as soundtracks from attactions like Horizons, World of Motion, the entire Sonny Eclipse track, etc. I use a software tool called Total Recorder, available from highcriteria.com. It allows you to record any audio that you hear over the web. My collection of Disney music is growing incredibly fast lately - a very cool music service!

CariBelle
06-03-2011, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the tip danyoung!

quackinup
06-03-2011, 01:26 PM
Love the main street loop, don't think I would ever tire of it. Can anyone tell me off the top of their head which song from Holst's The Planets is in that loop? I can hear it in my head but can't remember which one (name) it is.

ETA: Found it...Jupiter, the Bringer of Jollity (knew it wasn't going to be Mars, Bringer of War :fez: )

shna
06-03-2011, 01:45 PM
I got "Lida Rose" stuck in my head when we were at the park on Tuesday. It finally went away -- but then I saw "The Music Man" on Wednesday night & now it's back (and has been since Wednesday night). Good thing it makes me smile!

Bytebear
06-03-2011, 01:51 PM
Love the main street loop, don't think I would ever tire of it. Can anyone tell me off the top of their head which song from Holst's The Planets is in that loop? I can hear it in my head but can't remember which one (name) it is.

ETA: Found it...Jupiter, the Bringer of Jollity (knew it wasn't going to be Mars, Bringer of War :fez: )

I played Mars in High School Band (some decades ago). Odd piece. 5/4 time pumping to 4/4 once in a while so hard to get the rhythm down but still a favorite.

As for Main Street. I love how that one song makes me think of Wall-E.

cheshirecatgirl
06-03-2011, 02:44 PM
I love the music. It always makes me smile when I recognize a tune and can sing along.

MadasaHatter
06-03-2011, 10:18 PM
Nope. None of you all convinced me. Still tired of the loop. I really do think 20 years is too long to go without changing. And now that you all mention it because I too am keen on Musicals, I guess it is HELLO DOLLY and OKLAHOMA (Put on Your Sunday Clothes and Surrey with the Fringe on Top) that are my least favorite because they are so recognizable to me. I guess I am in the minority on this one!

danyoung
06-04-2011, 04:45 AM
Thanks for the tip danyoung!

I actually screwed that up a little. When you go to live365.com, do a search on the word Disney. Several stations will come up - the one you want is called Mouse World Radio.

I really do think 20 years is too long to go without changing.

I might have a hard time with it if I was there all the time. As it is, I really enjoy the vibe of Main Street, and the music is an important part of it.

disneyland addict13
06-04-2011, 08:41 AM

Jupiter also plays in the area outside of Soarin' Over California and Taste Pilot's Grill. It's such a beautiful piece and my cousin and I always take the time to sit outside Soarin' and listen for it.

ETA: On the website that woody9six posted, Jupiter is listed under the Condor Flats Area Music.

quackinup
06-04-2011, 10:08 AM
I guess I am in the minority on this one!

That's because you are mad

quackinup
06-04-2011, 10:10 AM
Jupiter also plays in the area outside of Soarin' Over California and Taste Pilot's Grill. It's such a beautiful piece and my cousin and I always take the time to sit outside Soarin' and listen for it.

I love all of the music from The Planets. But it's been a while since I've heard any of them other than Jupiter.

(one of these days I will start remembering about using multiquote when I am answering more than one post)

cstephens
06-04-2011, 03:04 PM
I have been listening to the same songs for 20 years. It's time to change it.

Changing something simply for the sake of changing it is never a good idea.

So I guess any attractions that have been around for 20 years or more need to be ripped out and replaced?

Also realize that most people don't spend that much time at Disneyland. And they might be walking down Main Street, but they're not focusing on the music - they're busy planning all the things they want to do that day or remembering all the fun things they did that day. Those of us who are fortunate to be able to spend a lot of time at Disneyland are in the minority.

MadasaHatter
06-05-2011, 10:54 AM
I had already posted that I am in the minority and that I go to Disneyland often and I spend WAY more time on MAIN ST USA than most, I know. I guess it is more what I posted earlier in that the musical songs always put me in the mind of those shows and sort of take me out of a Disneyland mind set. I never really notice the non-show songs.....

I think changing it is a great idea personally but again, I said that I am in the minority and out of all the things I would like to see changed that is pretty low on my list. I was really just curious to see what others thought.

I think change is a positive thing and I love the changes they have done on IASW, SM, all of the DARK RIDES over the years....
I love the changes they made on BTMRR with the rock on stick(I kinda miss it!)
I love the change they did on Sleeping Beauty Castle (but I do kind of miss the cotton ball on stick and so did my pal THE DUDE)
I loved the change of INNER SPACE to Star Tours and then I got totally bored with ST....and now I LOVE the change they did on that. I cannot wait to ride it again!
I love the change on the SUBS as it was looking sad and like my friend THE DUDE says (who hated FINDING NEMO....which I just DON'T get!) "I love the fact that subs are moving around and the lagoon is vibrant and refurbed"
I love all the changes they have made to the Jungle Cruise over the years without losing the feel of the original.
I love the change on the TREE HOUSE as I like the Tarzan theming better.
I like that they change the HM for Hallowe'en/Xmas even though the ORIGINAL is still my fave!
I love that they changed the Parade....that PoD was NOT my cup of tea and CELEBRATE was not so good..... SOUNDSATIONAL is one of my fave parades ever!
I LOVELOVELOVE that they changed the SUPERSTAR LIMOS to MONSTER'S INC. which may be my favorite Dark Ride next to Mr. Toad so happy it's still there.
I love all the changes they are doing to DCA especially Buena Vista St. as you all know how much I love MAIN ST USA....when that is done I think I will ALWAYS have an AP!!!

And just so you don't all think I am a hopeless Pollyanna....
I don't like that they changed the GIBSON GIRL ice cream parlour as that was one of my rituals and now I never get Ice Cream anymore as I don't like the space they have.
I don't like the changes they made to the food/menu BLUE BAYOU since the last refurb....I think it has gone down hill. Maybe it has got better....let me know fellow Mouseketeers.......
I do not like the change they made to the FANTASYLAND THEATRE into PFF....I have nothing against said fair I just think the space is not put to good use.
I do not like the change they made from AMERICA SINGS to INNOVENTIONS. I say bring back AMERICA SINGS with an updated version or a new attraction.
I do not like the change of COUNTRY BEARS into WINNIE THE POOH even though I enjoy Winnie the Pooh, I just wish they were both there!
I don't like the PIRATE change to TSI but understand that Pirates are white hot. So are zombies, should we put them on TSI.....I think not.

Did I just derail my own thread? OK OK OK OK you all convinced me. The Main St USA music stays! But when and if it changes you will hear from me.....bwa HA HA HA!!!

PS I also love that the Mad Hatter is a face character and runs around with Alice and plays with the kids. Don't let's be silly!