PDA

View Full Version : Big Thunder Mountian Railroad Inspiration

Bolivar
06-01-2011, 08:27 AM
Memorial weekend I went skiing at Squaw Valley -- yes skiing and it snowed over a foot Saturday night. It was as if it was mid-winter. But that isn't my point...

Riding on the tram we went by an area of rock formations and the employee on the tram was standing next to my son. He asked my son if he had been to Disneyland and then told him that these rock formations were the inspiration for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. I wish I had taken a picture because they were striking and very similar. I found this on the web, but it is not those formations and doesn't do it justice:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhorn2/5267340125/

Anyone know if there is any truth to this?

Bolivar
06-01-2011, 08:43 AM
This picture isn't great either but maybe a bit better:
http://bestdayeverrenotahoe.com/_newsletter/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/SquawCableCar.jpg

Then there is this video. Turn the sound down to avoid the terrible music and skip ahead to about 3:30 into the video. The best image is at 4:20 to 4:25:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW7awFMqUoE

Bolivar
06-01-2011, 09:39 AM
In doing some research on the web I am finding that a lot of places claim to be the inspiration, most of them in the American southwest. But I am finding something even more interesting.

When Squaw Valley got the 1960 Winter Olympics, it was a small ski area. It was not prepared to host an event like this. So the owner turned to Walt Disney for help. Walt helped with the logistics of parking, security, crowd control and did what he does best, entertainment. Never before had the Olympics had pageantry or anything other than the competition. Walt brought big name acts, he had an ice carving exhibition, he built a replica of the Golden Horseshow in the athlete’s village. He changed the Olympics and made them what they are today. Never before did they have any of that and they have had it at all the Olympics since.

I didn’t know he had anything to do with the Olympics much less having such a major impact.

cstephens
06-01-2011, 09:46 AM
What a coincidence - Walt Disney World's Twitter feed just had a tweet about Big Thunder: "Did You Know? The look of Thunder Mountain Railroad was inspired by Arizona's Monument Valley, which once was home to Big Thunder Mining Co."

woody9six
06-01-2011, 10:39 AM
What a coincidence - Walt Disney World's Twitter feed just had a tweet about Big Thunder: "Did You Know? The look of Thunder Mountain Railroad was inspired by Arizona's Monument Valley, which once was home to Big Thunder Mining Co."
Does the one in WDW look considerably different than the Anaheim Park? I always thought the one at Disneyland looked a lot more like Bryce Canyon in Utah to me. The Squaw thing doesn't seem very likely. I mean, it might have inspired parts of it...but it is far from a wholesale replica IMO.

ETA: I should have researched this first...but the DLR website says that Bryce Canyon was indeed the inspiration:
Based on Bryce Canyon in Utah, the scenery captures the thrill, excitement and beauty of the rugged and untamed landscape of the American West.

And here is the LINK (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/big-thunder-mountain-railroad/).

Goodnplenty
06-01-2011, 10:41 AM
Bolivar, thanks for this great thread. I just finished looking up Walt and the 1960 Winter Olympics. I never knew any of that stuff! Thanks for making my day!

GnP

woody9six
06-01-2011, 11:05 AM
And to answer my earlier question, the BTMR in WDW was indeed inspired by Monument Valley in AZ.

WITron
06-01-2011, 12:11 PM
Two of the 30 flag poles, representing the 30 countries competing, from the 1960 olympics have further Disney ties. One was put in front of the commissary at the studios and the other was put in front of Walt Disney Elementary in Marceline

mousecanuck
06-01-2011, 08:53 PM
I love how there's so many interesting stories intertwined into Disneyland/world and Walt's life...very, very cool!

jananafish
06-01-2011, 10:45 PM
*like* this thread :)

sjhanksaz
06-02-2011, 06:04 AM
A friend told me that he thought he read somewhere that Disney will be replacing the track and doing some upgrades on BTM soon. Anyone heard or know anything about that?

rickosuave1987
06-02-2011, 04:10 PM
A friend told me that he thought he read somewhere that Disney will be replacing the track and doing some upgrades on BTM soon. Anyone heard or know anything about that?

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad – closed May 31 to June 9 for refurbishment

I don't think that would be enough time to replace the track though?

I read somewhere, maybe my "Disneyland Challenge" Book about Bryce Canyon being the inspiration... :confused:

woody9six
06-02-2011, 08:01 PM
I read somewhere, maybe my "Disneyland Challenge" Book about Bryce Canyon being the inspiration... :confused:
You read in earlier in the thread. Post #5 to be exact.:fez:

rickosuave1987
06-04-2011, 04:10 PM
You read in earlier in the thread. Post #5 to be exact.:fez:

:p

I found it!

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b69/rickosuave1987/1d4410bc.jpg

For anyone interested, that is out of a book called "Disneyland Challenge". It is sold in the park for about $15 I think. It is spiral bound and full of cool trivia and info!