PDA

View Full Version : Who turned off the fountain?

femmfaerie
05-28-2003, 08:51 AM
When tomorrowland reopened there was this great water fountaing with dancing shoots of water and a huge ball in the center that tons of people played in...when i went back a few years a go I noticed the ball is still there but the holes that shot up water have been covered in foam. What is the deal?

Matterhorn Fan
05-28-2003, 10:34 AM
Woohoo! It's been a while since we've had a Cosmic Bidet thread!

femmfaerie, Cosmic Waves was getting a little ratty, and the water had been turned off for a good while before they put the new covering on the ground there. Then they added those wimpy trees in the pots.

Go Cosmic Waves.

Disneyphile
05-28-2003, 11:17 AM
I heard they closed it up, because people weren't buying the Cosmic Waves merchandise, so it wasn't profitable enough to keep it going.;)

I do miss that free public mid-day bath that made Tomorrowland the highlight of the park. :~D

scaeagles
05-28-2003, 11:56 AM
I actually heard that Michael Jackson was seen a lot hanging out watching all of the half naked boys playing there and it was weirding too many people out....so they had to pull it. He was also wearing a "bring back EO" shirt and harrassing the CMs at HISTA.

Tref
05-28-2003, 12:00 PM
I loved Cosmic Waves! The last time the demise of CW was discussed there was a flurry of different reasons why it was gone, though I would bet it was due to it having been cheaply made. Disney probably wasn't keen paying for the upkeep. I don't think it was for health reasons as some have supposed, as CW-like fountains can still be found at a few parks in and around the State.

Its too bad. I loved watching all the kids running through, laughing and getting very very wet and I loved making the occasional risky dash myself. I am sorry to see it go.

Disneyphile
05-28-2003, 12:36 PM
Hey! Here's an idea! They can bring back a more "maintenance-free" 3-d movie version of CW, set to the lights and music of Captain EO to replace HISTA.;) And the SSL version of Joan Rivers can host the video pre-show in the queue!

But, they probably won't do that now, since Pressler's gone, and Cynthia appears to be on her way out. :(

:~D

zapppop
05-28-2003, 12:53 PM
Last time they turned off the water on Cosmic Waves, I took pictures and sent them to Al. After he used them in his update, the water was turned back on.

Hmm.... maybe I should sent Al another photo :fez:

Nancy
05-28-2003, 07:40 PM
How was the Cosmic Wave of Tomorrowland built differently than the "water attractions" in the Bugs Life area of Calif. Adventure?:)

pixiepal
05-28-2003, 08:08 PM
One of my funniest Disneyland memories took place at Cosmic Waves....my fiancee and I were walking by on our way to Space, when we stopped to watch the kiddies play. Anyway, this one little girl was standing legs spread wide apart over one of the spouts as it shot her DIRECTLY in the crotch. She was screaming at the top of her lungs, "OH YEAH! OH YEAH! OH YEAH!" Her embarrassed Mom had to DRAG her away from the damn thing....we laughed about that for the rest of the day!:rolleyes:

MonorailMan
05-28-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Nancy
How was the Cosmic Wave of Tomorrowland built differently than the "water attractions" in the Bugs Life area of Calif. Adventure?:)

The CW part was Foam. The one in FFF is cement. :)

She was screaming at the top of her lungs, "OH YEAH! OH YEAH! OH YEAH!" Her embarrassed Mom had to DRAG her away from the damn thing....we laughed about that for the rest of the day!

Wow. ;)

Lashbear
05-28-2003, 08:50 PM
Didn't David Koenig say that due to the large amount of Kiddie Urine in the fountain, it was renamed "Toxic Waves" ? :yammy:

jerjer2005
05-28-2003, 08:50 PM
the cosmic waves were removed due to an incident that had to do with the amount of injuries that happened daily at this area due to slipping and falling.

Not Afraid
05-28-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Lashbear
Didn't David Koenig say that due to the large amount of Kiddie Urine in the fountain, it was renamed "Toxic Waves" ? :yammy:

It was Cosmic Bidet.

It was a very polluted little attraction.

cemeinke
05-28-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Lashbear

I still prefer Cosmic Bidet -

Yes, it became a place of public bathing, which required Disney to respond with higher clorination, which in turn ate up the nice cushie foam, which was then poorly patched. Of course there was the incident where the girl got her hair caught under the ball...

Still, no problem yet for the fountains (some even with foam) that found their way into DCA.

Not Afraid
05-28-2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by cemeinke
I still prefer Cosmic Bidet -

I'm so glad you're in agreance with me.;) :fez:

Disneyphile
05-29-2003, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by cemeinke
Of course there was the incident where the girl got her hair caught under the ball...

And she was decapitated? :eek: ;)

DisneyFan25863
05-29-2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Disneyphile
And she was decapitated? :eek: ;)

No, but the kid who decided to find out what happens when you take a ODV power cord and put it on top of a fountian was :eek: