PDA

View Full Version : Mike Fink Keelboats

dgthx
04-28-2001, 10:23 PM
I don't remember ever riding on one of these. Where did you board the boats? Did they make a round trip around the rivers of America? Was it a fun ride?

Napsto
04-28-2001, 11:24 PM
i wanna know too!!!!

Matterhorn Fan
04-29-2001, 05:15 AM
Try this link: http://www.yesterland.com/keelboats.html

Doodle Duck
04-29-2001, 07:51 AM
The K-boats were a fun trip...and the ONLY ride I got scared on..well just a little bit..there was one where the boat was rocking side to side..and sitting on top it felt like it was going over any second. Fun fun fun!
The jokes were pure corn PUN..the kind that make the 'wise' tourist groan real loud so every one knows 'they get it' and don't take it seriously. (I love puns!)
Miss the boats, there were some great skippers.

Aims
04-29-2001, 02:55 PM
I loved the Keel Boats, too. The skippers reminded me of the Jungle Cruise skippers with all the corny jokes, and sitting on top was great as the last poster said. I recall going on this ride one summer night, near park closing, and as we came around to dock, the skipper forgot to pull into the dock in time and we got to go around again. We were all so tired, as was the skipper, so he was even sillier the second time around.

ODV CM
04-29-2001, 09:17 PM
I don't remember the jokes too much, but I always thought that they were kind of a waste, the canoes or the Sailing Ship Columbia was much more fun imho.

Uncle Dick
02-09-2002, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by ODV CM
I don't remember the jokes too much, but I always thought that they were kind of a waste, the canoes or the Sailing Ship Columbia was much more fun imho.

I remember riding it a couple of times. It offered a unique view of the river, similar to the canoes, but without all the paddling involved. And, it added a lot of depth to the river. It's not that big of a loss, IMHO, but it's a loss nonetheless.

MammaSilva
02-09-2002, 03:25 PM
I loved the keel boats ....and when my husband watches his Davy Crockett videos every time I hear Mike Fink I think of the Gullywhomper....

Nigel2
02-09-2002, 09:48 PM
The Keel Boat landing is where the smoking area is now, its right behind the stern (rear) of the columbia when its not running.

One of my favorite jokes referes to the canoes as river speed bumps.:D

Oh and once when we rode the capitan got too close to shore (near the Mark Twain Dock and that abandoned mine train) and he brushed a tree. A ton of little white spiders came out with other stoff.:eek:

Vansau
02-10-2002, 09:27 AM
One of my friends was working the day that the Gullywhumper flipped. What happened was that someone had overloaded the boat on the top level, and was then dicking around with the rudder. Over the mic something like this was heard, "oh no folks, we're tipping over, we're tipping over. (Insert not of panic) Oh ****! Folks grab onto something, we're tipping over!!!"
My friend described it as the biggest massacre ever at Disneyland. Some guest jumped out of a passing canoe to try and rescue the hapless 40+ guests "drowning" in six feet of water... and managed to get his foot stuck on the Mark Twain track. And then, to top it all off, some security guard shows up and starts telling people on the walkway in front of Big Thunder to move along because "there's nothing to see here".

tinkfreak
02-10-2002, 11:18 AM
Next time any of you Keel Boat lovers ride the monorail, look to your right just before you pass the Indy show building (on the return to DL trip). You will see the partially moth balled Keel Boats in all their glory. Oh yeah, and until recently, the new smoking area stil had a sign that read "Keel Boat Landing".

tinkfreak
02-10-2002, 11:21 AM
Well. rigt or left depending on which way you're facing, left if you're facing forward...

Ps I loved em' too

Horace Horsecollar
02-10-2002, 12:47 PM
I always wondered what kept them from flipping over, especially when they pushed them off from the dock with those long poles. The pusher was always called "Lightnin," and (all together now) "you never know when Lightnin' will strike."

Nigel2
02-10-2002, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Vansau
And then, to top it all off, some security guard shows up and starts telling people on the walkway in front of Big Thunder to move along because "there's nothing to see here".

That sounds like the cop on afew tv shows.:D

Hmmm if that keel boat is still backstage then that must have not been the one they sold, I wonder if they took the motors out of both of them.:confused:

Oh yes the boat shovers, with a P.H.D. in BSing (they use to say that as well).:D

tabacco
02-10-2002, 08:25 PM
They sold the Bertha Mae. The gullywhumper is still backstage, IIRC.