PDA

View Full Version : Black beard (barba negra!)

Pages : [1] 2

HauntedKid
05-30-2011, 10:19 AM
Does anyone knows when the image of Black Beard will be replacing Davy Jones in POTC? Thanx :p

adriennek
05-30-2011, 10:22 AM
It already has. I saw it Saturday.

IllusionOfLife
05-30-2011, 10:57 AM
It started on the 20th (same day Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides released) and it is supposed to play through the summer and be switched back to normal in the fall.

MadasaHatter
05-30-2011, 11:42 AM
It's true! I saw Black Beard the other day too and really liked that addition. Ian McShane is a fantastic actor! (Es verdad. Yo lo vi Barba Negra el otra dia cuando estoy visitaba Disneyland y me gusta much este adicion) Was that spanish passable HK? After all....I am mad (loco)

cstephens
05-30-2011, 12:03 PM
BTW, it's not just the projection on the water. Blackbeard also now has the dialogue near the end of the ride, when you're going up the chain, after you see the last Jack Sparrow.

HauntedKid
05-30-2011, 12:05 PM
It's true! I saw Black Beard the other day too and really liked that addition. Ian McShane is a fantastic actor! (Es verdad. Yo lo vi Barba Negra el otra dia cuando estoy visitaba Disneyland y me gusta much este adicion) Was that spanish passable HK? After all....I am mad (loco)

hahahaha Indeed that spanish was great , love to read someone speaks "español" , I wanted to give this spanish touch since Penelope Cruz uses this weird english accent :p hehehehe pero que emoción, ya quiero ver a barba negra !!!!yo tambien estoy loco por Disney (means: I`m mad for Disney as well :) )

HauntedKid
05-30-2011, 12:07 PM
thanx to all for answering :) have a Disneyday!

MadasaHatter
05-30-2011, 12:17 PM
Are you Mexican HK? Tengo dos primas de Mexico y mi tia solamente habla poquito ingles....So remember Penelope Cruz is from Spain and they ALL learn English English not American English! My accent is SPANISH because I worked for a year in a Spanish restaurant so now I say Grathias. I love Penelope Cruth but thought she was pretty boring in POC4. I don't think SwashBuckling is her cup of tea....

HauntedKid
05-30-2011, 12:20 PM
Are you Mexican HK? Tengo dos primas de Mexico y mi tia solamente habla poquito ingles....So remember Penelope Cruz is from Spain and they ALL learn English English not American English! My accent is SPANISH because I worked for a year in a Spanish restaurant so now I say Grathias. I love Penelope Cruth but thought she was pretty boring in POC4. I don't think SwashBuckling is her cup of tea....

yes I am Mexican :) but near the border, so I have always been rolling between english and spanish, but I love and embrace my latino side, that`s why I loved this movie a lot :p

adriennek
05-30-2011, 01:31 PM
It started on the 20th (same day Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides released) and it is supposed to play through the summer and be switched back to normal in the fall.

Which is a bummer, IMO - I like Black Beard better. Davy Jones is just creepy.

MadasaHatter
05-30-2011, 01:46 PM
NORAML???? Black Beard is WAY cooler than Davy Jones. I think it should be updated continually as it is a cool effect and easily changed. There are loads of characters from that franchise....why not have them ALL! I hate DAVY JONES slurpy voice. Kinda ooky.

MadasaHatter
05-30-2011, 01:47 PM
oops. NORMAL.

Toocherie
05-30-2011, 01:54 PM
Davy Jones is just creepy.

But I LIKE creepy!

IllusionOfLife
05-30-2011, 02:51 PM
Ian McShane is definitely a good actor, and I haven't seen the new effect so I can't judge it based on the context of the ride, but I, for one, really disliked On Stranger Tides and found Blackbeard to be a dull and uninteresting villain, where Davy Jones was much more interesting as a character and as a villain.

Also, all opinions aside, Davy Jones is the only villain the franchise has currently who makes sense for that effect. In the films, Davy Jones could disappear and reappear almost anywhere (as long as it wasn't on land), and was a much more supernatural and ghostly figure. Blackbeard, aside from some barely explained and entirely unnecessary magical connection to his ship, was just a regular human, and thus makes no sense as a ghostly apparition in the ride. On the same token Barbossa, or any of the other cursed pirates from the first film, would also be inappropriate for that scene because, while cursed with a living death, they were still for all intents and purposes human and were not supernatural beings like Davy Jones (besides, Geoffrey Rush already has his appearance in the ride).

I can live with the nonsense of it for a summer because I get that it's a marketing gimmick, but if it becomes a permanent addition I'll have to do some serious nerd raging.

MadasaHatter
05-30-2011, 04:14 PM
I didn't think Davy Jones made any more sense than Black Beard. Before you reply, YES I get your point that he is supernatural and Black Beard isn't...or was he with those magical ropes....who can say??? Just bizarre..... I mean that was Davy Jones ONLY appearance so it was just kind of weird to me. I want to see those two goofy guys from the first movie you know...that dude from the OFFICE!!! That would be funny. But back to Davy and Black.... Personally, I thought they were equally week villains in two very boring movies. After viewing all four the only picture that I liked was the first.

I just like seeing lots of new stuff every time I ride an attraction. So far NOTHING new on any attraction (IASW, POC, HM, Space, Star Tours, did I miss something???) has bothered me at all. OH, I guess I really dig that they brought back EO as a tribute but hope they replace it with something sooner than later. Does that count? After all.......I am mad!

IllusionOfLife
05-30-2011, 07:11 PM
I won't argue opinions of the films because that will quickly derail the topic and get us no where, suffice it to say, I enjoyed all three of the original films (particularly the first) and did not enjoy the fourth much at all. Yes, Dead Man's Chest and At World's End definitely had their flaws, but I felt that they were saved by interesting characters and ambitious directing from Gore Verbinski. On Stranger Tides, on the other hand, felt kind of lazy and boring in my opinion. While Davy Jones balanced evil with tragedy to make an interesting character with compelling motivations, Blackbeard was just bad for the sake of being bad and the audience was given no reason to care. Sorry, I dipped more into film critiques than I wanted to. I'm really trying to be better about that. Anyway, moving on…

I mentioned before in another thread that I've always felt the Davy Jones effect was a good idea that was never implemented properly, so I totally understand what you're saying about it not feeling like it fits regardless. However, in terms of story, Davy Jones makes much more sense in line with the canon of the franchise than Blackbeard does. Yes, Blackbeard does have some magic (which seems to be there for the convenient purpose of having an action scene on the ship without resorting to anything as ambitious or interesting as a ship to ship battle like the original films, sorry, there I go again) but, as far as I could tell that magic was tied exclusively to the Queen Anne's Revenge and didn't apply in other places like land, the fountain of youth, or a cave full of tourists and dead pirates. I would vote for a re-imagining of that sequence of the ride, but if it needs to be a character from the film Davy Jones would still be the one who fits best. As for Pintel and Ragetti, I love those characters too, but unfortunately, I can't see them fitting into the attraction anywhere without being terribly obtrusive. Luckily they make a fun appearance on Tom Sawyer's Island. :)

MadasaHatter
05-30-2011, 08:37 PM
Oh right! They do appear in TOM SAWYER'S ISLAND!!!! I forgot about that as I have only done that once or twice a while ago. I like a good movie critique. You critiqued BLACK BEARD so it was on topic.

I just think POC is kinda strange now that they keep putting movie stuff into it. I wasn't really sure if that was GEOFFREY RUSH on the first ship but I guess it is. Before the movies came out I always thought the attraction was PIRATE SKELETONS IN CAVES and then PIRATES attack fortress of a town and plunder said town. THE END.

IllusionOfLife you seem to be an expert on the films. THE FIRST one had the prison scene tableau with the DOG and this last one had the SKELETON PIRATE in BED WITH LOOKING GLASS Tableau. DO the 2nd and 3rd ones each have an attraction tableau???

IllusionOfLife
05-30-2011, 09:01 PM
DO the 2nd and 3rd ones each have an attraction tableau???

There's several references, but they're a bit more subtle so they're easy to miss. I'd have to take another look and take note of specific references, but a few that come immediately to mind are these. In the second film, in Tortuga, there are several nods to the ride (actually, a lot of it was footage cut from the first film) for example, the mayor getting dunked in the well; also the swamp where we meet Tia Dalma is very similar to the bayou at the beginning of the attraction. In At World's End, Barbossa quotes several lines from the ride including "It be too late to alter course now mateys" and "These be the last friendly words you'll hear. You may not survive to pass this way again." Also, as they go over the waterfall into Davy Jones' Locker, several sounds from the attraction can be heard including the bride auction and the classic "Dead men tell no tales."

gornicke
06-08-2011, 09:57 PM
Black beard? Really? Probably my least favorite of the Pirates movies. There were really no memorable lines in the movie and to be honest I can barely even remember much of Black beards character. Davy Jones is FAR SUPERIOR!!!!!!!!!!! Can they change it back before I visit in August? PLEASE!

IllusionOfLife
06-09-2011, 07:16 AM
Now that I've actually seen the addition I'll be glad to see it go. They simply recycled all the old Davy Jones lines with Ian McShane in an effect that is clearly designed for the Davy Jones character. Even without my disdain for On Stranger Tides the effect would feel kind of cheap and tacked on. Like I said, I can tolerate it for the summer for promotional reasons, but I hope Disney stays good on their word and changes it back by the end of the summer.

On the other hand, I loved the new Pirates scene in World of Color and would like them to keep that one long term. Just replace most of the scenes from On Stranger Tides with more scenes from the original films to make it a less obvious marketing gimmick and it'll be perfect.

olegc
06-09-2011, 07:51 AM
i want the old pirate's voice in the cave with the warning "perhaps ye knows too much...." we used to love to parrot back "no i don't" - ye seen the cursed treasure "no I haven't!!!"...:p but I know it will never happen....

danyoung
06-15-2011, 08:36 AM
i want the old pirate's voice in the cave with the warning "perhaps ye knows too much...."

I couldn't agree more! This was the coolest element ever, a perfect transition from the spooky skeleton caves to the real AA action of the sacking of the town. And any chance to hear the great Paul Frees' voice is very welcome ("No fear have ye of evil curses, says you??? AAARRRrrrrrgggghhhhh . . . . ").

carolinakid
06-15-2011, 09:05 AM

a few minor corrections.....

Yo vi a Barba Negra el otro dia (dia is a masculine noun) cuando visitaba (o estaba visitando) a Disneyland y me gusto (keeping everything in the same tense) mucho esta adicion (adicion is a feminine noun).

Your Spanish is pretty good, though! How's your pronunciation?

Malcon10t
06-15-2011, 08:18 PM
i want the old pirate's voice in the cave with the warning "perhaps ye knows too much...."

I liked it too...

IllusionOfLife
09-20-2011, 04:28 AM
Sorry for bumping an ancient thread, but I was wondering about this, and I didn't think it merited a whole new thread. I know Pirates of the Caribbean is closed for refurbishment, but before it went down did they ever bring Davy Jones back, or was Blackbeard still around? On a semi-related note is the On Stranger Tides segment of World of Color still running or is it back to the shorter (and less cool) Pirates segment?