PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Mission Tortilla Factory

Pages : [1] 2

Autopia Guy
05-29-2011, 12:35 PM
Sources are reporting that the Mission Tortilla Factory will close for good with DCA on 5/31/2011. Guess that means no more free tortillas.

Kinda sad to see it going. But the old will be replaced by the new. And I'm excited for that.

As usual, information is subject to change as Disney hasn't said anything on the matter.

nursechrissy32
05-30-2011, 06:25 PM
So...what does everyone think about the tortillas leaving the building and a new Ghiradelli chocolate factory going in it's spot?

Our kids loved the free tortillas...sadly they did not care about how they were made hehe...

BlkPearlCptn
05-30-2011, 06:42 PM
So is this actually happening or just wishful thinking?

cheshirecatgirl
05-30-2011, 07:48 PM
I don't really have a strong feeling for tortillas, but I did enjoy the cartoon video at the beginning. Maseca!

Malcon10t
05-30-2011, 07:50 PM
The gentleman at the door today said "I can neither confirm nor deny the rumors." Sadly, the impression I got from the tone is that it is true.

bennette
05-30-2011, 09:31 PM
Personally I'm thrilled. That was one of the elements that put me in mind of a cheap county fair on my first visit to DCA. (A tortilla exhibit? Seriously? I'm supposed to wait in line for a tortilla I can buy at the store--cheap?)

I'm hoping for something a little more interesting with the revision.

Andrew
05-31-2011, 12:19 AM
I'm excited about anything and everything new coming to DCA. We'd just about completely mined that park out for MouseAdventure quests. Now, a quest involving chocolate...

KarenW2
05-31-2011, 01:56 AM
We enjoyed getting a free tortilla from time to time and we stopped in on Sunday, when we were there celebrating our 32nd Wedding Anniversary. It was the slowest we'd ever seen it, with a very long line, but once we finally made our way into the last room, we found they only had ONE side operating at the time and very slowly at that!

I always thought it was odd they had the food "display" at the end, that was sometimes staffed by a cast member, sometimes not, which was the case on Sunday. Whatever food they had was sitting on the counter, but it was totally covered by several layers of plastic wrap, so you couldn't really tell what it was supposed to be.

I'm definitely interested if Ghirardelli really turns out to be the replacement vendor in there and I wonder what their contribution to DCA will be. But I will miss hearing "Maseca!".

Adios amigos!!

carolinakid
05-31-2011, 04:20 AM
Good riddance to this poor excuse for an "attraction". Of course it's not the Factory's fault. They were always extremely kind and friendly. Ghirardelli isn't much of an improvement, imo, but a soda fountain can at least be labeled a restaurant/food spot and not one of DCA's "attractions".

cheshirecatgirl
05-31-2011, 06:47 AM
Free chocolate samples are always a good thing!

AJDerrick
05-31-2011, 07:01 AM
Trading tortillas (especially the corn ones, which I was never a fan of) for chocolate? Sign me up! :)

Drince88
05-31-2011, 07:04 AM
I'm excited about anything and everything new coming to DCA. We'd just about completely mined that park out for MouseAdventure quests. Now, a quest involving chocolate...

But using the construction walls as part of a quest was a really good move!

DizneyMommy
05-31-2011, 09:42 AM
My kids adore the bread and tortilla factories and they are going to be very sad. I agree it didn't really fit, but I know mine aren't the only kids that love it so who cares!

candles71
05-31-2011, 12:24 PM
I didn't get in there on our trip. Whistler and the kids went in while G and I were finishing our soup. :( We all liked going in and getting our tortillas (and with no line usually, more than one trip through, wasn't an issue;))

houseofmouse
05-31-2011, 12:53 PM
I look forward to something different as long as it just isn't a stupid chocolate store and nothing else.

adriennek
05-31-2011, 01:00 PM
I look forward to something different as long as it just isn't a stupid chocolate store and nothing else.

Have you been inside a Ghirardelli store before? The reason I ask is that every store I've been in also has an "old fashioned" soda fountain inside. Ice cream sundaes... hot chocolate, etc etc. That's what the store in Orlando has, I believe. But. Would Nestle let that be inside a park?

Questions Questions...

candles71
05-31-2011, 02:07 PM
Ghiradelli and Disney, ADK, have you got room for me? Whistler would never get me home again.

cstephens
05-31-2011, 02:15 PM
So...what does everyone think about the tortillas leaving the building and a new Ghiradelli chocolate factory going in it's spot?

Yes, I'd like to know where this rumour about the chocolate factory is from. Thanks.

candles71
05-31-2011, 02:26 PM
Yes, I'd like to know where this rumour about the chocolate factory is from. Thanks.

I just read it in the park update. (of course, i don't know where they heard it from.) :)

cstephens
05-31-2011, 02:56 PM
I just read it in the park update. (of course, i don't know where they heard it from.) :)

Hmmm, thanks, I hadn't read that yet. But the park update was posted today, and nursechrissy32 posted the rumour yesterday, so I'm wondering where she heard it from.

candles71
05-31-2011, 03:00 PM
Now see I didn't pay any attention to dates. Hmmm

jrsharp21
05-31-2011, 03:08 PM
I would love to see a Ghiradelli shop at the DLR. While I think it would be better in DTD, I wouldn't mind it at DCA. When I was at Disney World a few weeks ago, I had to go to DTD several times just to get the ice cream in a waffle cone.

AVP
05-31-2011, 03:51 PM
Yes, I'd like to know where this rumour about the chocolate factory is from. Thanks.Speaking only for myself as the Update writer, (and because I don't know where nursechrissy32 got her info), the mention of Ghiradelli as the likely replacement for the tortilla factory came from several sources, some much more reliable than others. Everything is rumor until Disney makes an official announcement.

AVP

adriennek
05-31-2011, 04:40 PM
Ghiradelli and Disney, ADK, have you got room for me? Whistler would never get me home again.

We could make room. ;)

houseofmouse
05-31-2011, 06:23 PM
Have you been inside a Ghirardelli store before? The reason I ask is that every store I've been in also has an "old fashioned" soda fountain inside. Ice cream sundaes... hot chocolate, etc etc. That's what the store in Orlando has, I believe. But. Would Nestle let that be inside a park?

Questions Questions...

I went into the Downtown Disney one in Florida once and we waited over an hour for ice cream and while it was good...it wasn't THAT good. :) We have been back to WDW two times since then and the line is always out the door and we haven't been back in.