PDA

View Full Version : Let's Go Shopping! Favorite Merchandise from Disneyland

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

adriennek
05-26-2011, 08:16 AM
Doc and I like Big Mugs. Yes, we're too lazy to keep refilling our coffee cups in the morning. We're not the only ones, either. Whenever my sister comes to stay with us, she always picks the biggest mug we have out of the cupboard - so I need to have more than two on hand! I'm always on the look out for BIG mugs.

I'm seriously loving the Disney mugs. Doc's drinking from his WDW "Dad" name mug as I type, (they have them at DL, too,) but I think his Mickey Mouse "Mornings are Rough" might be bigger. I want to get one of the Minnie Mouse mugs from that line but right now I have the Minnie Mouse one that says lovely things about Minnie, characteristics which I totally share with her: Caring, Demure, Fun, Gracious, etc etc etc.

They're all BIG and they only cost about $10, which really isn't bad for lovely BIG mugs like this. Which are BIG. (Especially with my AP discount...)

Ok, your turn! (And how many people just made a mental note to look for BIG mugs on their next trips to the parks? Hmm?)

Mermaid
05-26-2011, 08:34 AM
I am a sucker for the antennae toppers. And you know what, I don't have a car antennae! I make pointers out of them for my classroom. The kids love them and I love them because they remind me of Disneyland!

I did not make a note to look for big cups. I don't drink coffee. But I know which ones you are talking about!

olegc
05-26-2011, 08:41 AM
Well, I have many categories (collecting is expensive!) but mostly coffee mugs of any type, event and ride specific t-shirts, and then there is the bobble or hutch dust-collector. You know the one - it's a small figurine or even a die-cast car, but it's themed and probably from an event. I have many of those in storage (waiting for the kids to move out :-) ).

olegc
05-26-2011, 08:42 AM
I am a sucker for the antennae toppers. And you know what, I don't have a car antennae!

oh yeah - I like those too - and I am in the same boat (no antennae).

adriennek
05-26-2011, 08:43 AM
I am a sucker for the antennae toppers. And you know what, I don't have a car antennae! I make pointers out of them for my classroom. The kids love them and I love them because they remind me of Disneyland!

Ok, this reminded me of another one!!! The Antenna Topper Keychains! They're "mini" antenna toppers. We use them on backpacks and duffle bags as zipper pulls. We get them in the boys' favorite colors so each boy knows which duffle is his on site (they're all blue so the antenna toppers tell them apart.) And they're under $2 so, again, they're a rather affordable goodie.

LOVE the classroom pointer idea, Mermaid!! It almost makes me wish I had my own classroom again! Brilliant!

Mermaid
05-26-2011, 08:59 AM
Ok, this reminded me of another one!!! The Antenna Topper Keychains!

LOVE the classroom pointer idea, Mermaid!! It almost makes me wish I had my own classroom again! Brilliant!

We have those too! Eventually Mickey seems to break off, but oops, we have to buy a new one! We use them for our mailbox and spare keys mostly.

You could make them for teacher gifts, then you see the fun pointer and don't have the headache of actually teaching! I just buy a dowel and then a little end cap for the other end. It is super easy!

adriennek
05-26-2011, 09:00 AM
You could make them for teacher gifts, then you see the fun pointer and don't have the headache of actually teaching! I just buy a dowel and then a little end cap for the other end. It is super easy!

You know what? This is a little bit brilliant and a lot bit enabling. You bad, bad enabling girl, you...

Mermaid
05-26-2011, 09:09 AM
I'm a giver, what can I say?

Tinker44
05-26-2011, 09:57 AM
Favourite merchandise?? Oh geez. Aside from the obligatory embroidered Mouse-ears and ride-specific Tees (sob, my son is almost outgrown my favourite POTC one), it depends entirely on the merchandise itself.

Our last trip (Dec 2010), saw my daughter and I come away with coordinated Mickey/Minnie polar fleece hoodies which we love to death! I made a similar purchase (Feb 2000) of a polar fleece hoodie that I am still wearing today. It's very distinctive... so imagine my surprise when many years later, up in my lil corner of Canada, I found a child sized version in the same design at a second hand store?! So my daughter and I had matching hoodies again (till she outgrew hers... now waiting for son to grow INTO it).

I'm a sucker for the magic facecloths... inexpensive, fits in a stocking, great fun in the tub.

I'm also a recovering stuffie-aholic (you would not believe the number of Disney beanies living in my house)... though we were quite restrained on our last trip.

But the very best purchases I made the last trip (aside from the hoodies) were the purple, glittery coffee travel mug that I bought dor my daughter and then took for myself (Bad Mommy!)... and my purchase-with-purchase GORGEOUS fleece throw with Sleeping Beauty's Winter Castle on it. Considering the number of purchases I made during our stay, I wish I'd bought 3 more. It's so soft, so warm and so beautiful! By far, my favourite merchandise purchase!!

leota's necklace
05-26-2011, 10:22 AM
I am a sucker for good Mansion merch. Not something dashed-off like a refrigerator magnet with some of the Fab 5 in a Doombuggy, but actual Manse-specific, non-character-intensive, non-Jack Skellington stuff. Most recent acquisition was a couple of the Olszewski boxes, the Tightrope Girl and the Mansion Plaque ones.

Still want the Olszewski Manse. Maybe once we've moved I will buy it for myself as a housewarming present.

cstephens
05-26-2011, 10:57 AM
I am a sucker for good Mansion merch. Not something dashed-off like a refrigerator magnet with some of the Fab 5 in a Doombuggy, but actual Manse-specific, non-character-intensive, non-Jack Skellington stuff.

Did you ever go to the Haunted Mansion event, probably 15 years ago? It was fairly low key but pretty cool, and they had some killer merchandise. They had little versions of the bats that line the walkway to the doombuggy. The husband got one, but I wish he'd gotten two, cause they'd make good bookends. Gotta pull that out of the closet and find somewhere to display it.

olegc
05-26-2011, 12:10 PM
They had little versions of the bats that line the walkway to the doombuggy. The husband got one, but I wish he'd gotten two, cause they'd make good bookends. Gotta pull that out of the closet and find somewhere to display it.

My Dragon bookends from the 2009 40th event are a favorite!

mrsdisney68
05-26-2011, 12:55 PM
Coffee mugs each trip are a must...I also love picture frames or the photo holders for the desk. I usually get a new laynard for work ( I work at a elementary school) the kids love all my disney stuff. I usually wear a mickey t-shirt everyday and I always have my mickey watch and hat on.

rustymick
05-26-2011, 12:57 PM
Hi, my name is Kerry and I'm a Mickey Mouse watchaholic. I have 9 watches now that I have purchased in the park and others that I've bought from places like Avon or department stores.

My favorites are a Bulova with a gold Mickey on the face and the Disney Timeworks Mickey one with the interchangeable bands (black leather, brown leather, 2 tone metal).

I also purchase mugs on every trip even though I don't drink coffee, I drink everything else from them!!

candles71
05-26-2011, 01:05 PM
Tinker- make a throw pillow out of it.
My favorite, my Mickey Mouse apron. Daily smiles.

letshavefun
05-26-2011, 03:30 PM
My favorite is a print I got of Mickey and Walt holding hands in the door way of the Tiki room.

CariBelle
05-26-2011, 03:35 PM
I'm really into the Mickey kitchen stuff right now. Last trip I got the dish scrubber and egg timer (P.S. don't buy the Mickey glove pot holder, it's totally not padded enough!) Oh and Duffy. Ears, magnet, and pin on the last trip.
My real collection though is snowglobes. I make sure to get at least one with the year on it and after that I just look for whatever strikes my fancy. For awhile it was villains, but I think I already own every version that the park stocks so now I'm focusing on ride specific versions.

Teddi
05-26-2011, 04:47 PM
Nobody's mentioned the Candy? :fez:

Cuz, that's just my favorite stuff to buy. But now with DH's CM discnt I feel alot better about buying just about anything!

I also like park related stuff, books and/or CDs/ and or DVDs are something we pick up every trip. Last time my goodie was a puzzle of DLR.

SigalTchelet
05-26-2011, 07:49 PM
I'm really into the Mickey kitchen stuff right now. Last trip I got the dish scrubber and egg timer (P.S. don't buy the Mickey glove pot holder, it's totally not padded enough!) Oh and Duffy. Ears, magnet, and pin on the last trip.
My real collection though is snowglobes. I make sure to get at least one with the year on it and after that I just look for whatever strikes my fancy. For awhile it was villains, but I think I already own every version that the park stocks so now I'm focusing on ride specific versions.

I meant to get the Mickey Placemats at the Market House. They have so much cute stuff! Gotta put it on my list for October.

mousecanuck
05-26-2011, 08:52 PM
We have TOO MANY Disney mugs and I swore I wouldn't get one this last trip...but came home with a 'mine mine mine' seagull one (from Nemo). Apparently the Mine theme was popular to my family - DD was first with a towel, then DS with a t-shirt, then me with the mug and hoodie. I never owned a hoodie for the longest time (was a jean jacket person) until I finally got a 50th Anniversary one in '06. I got another in '08 and the Mine one this year. I LOVE kitchen stuff, favorite purchase this year is the Mickey & Minnie 'round' salt & pepper shakers. All time favorite is the Mickey bottle opener that gets used lots every time we have a gathering of some sort. We each have a stein or mug from Arribas Bros (sp?); DS got anther one from WDW with a Mickey hockey player on it this year. I love Mickey jewelry - must be SS (can't afford gold and plated metals wear out too quickly) and this trip I got two Pandora/Chamilia charms (and one more was given to me from this tip for Mother's Day, plus one more bought locally - not much room on the bracelet anymore!) I think my favorite thing this trip was a scarf - a bright (almost too bright, very fun!) spotted one with hidden Mickey's all over it. I would surmize my 'must have' list as little touches of Mickey all over the place, or fun things that remind me of Disney or a favorite movie. I bought a postcard 'Mickey/Walt self-portrait' and framed it when we got home. We have a couple of serigraphs from our honeymoon in 1991. A Mickey sugar bowl. I LOVE hidden or subtle Mickey stuff that you don't notice then allova sudden you recognize who/what it is.

Outgrown T-shirts - we have a collection of four that were in good enough shape that I've put in 't-shirt' display boxes (maybe 12 x 12, from Michael's) that are going up shortly. There are two Tower of Terror ones (one 'I survived' and one 'Luxery Hotel' sparkly one), one 'Year of a Million Dreams' and one brown one that my daughter outgrew too fast but loved that has characters and icons (outlines) all over it in neon colors on a brown base. I wanted to make pillows but never got around to it; we have so many fun pillows (just bright, not Disney!) so on the wall works better for us. And throws - we EACH have a Christmas Disney one, I have a DL Castle blue fuzzy one (love it!) and a Mickey sillouette one and recently a friend passed away and I inherited a favorite of his, another different Christmas one.

How do you pick 'one' thing to collect?!?!?!??! I want it ALL!!! :)

adriennek
05-27-2011, 06:22 AM
We have TOO MANY Disney mugs and I swore I wouldn't get one this last trip...but came home with a 'mine mine mine' seagull one (from Nemo).

A friend of ours bought that one for Doc for his :cough: birthday, from WDW. (At the time, they didn't have that mug at DLR.) Is it the travel mug? If so, wash it carefully - the graphics on Doc's got messed up. They're not really "scratched" off but they've "rubbed" off.

rustymick
05-27-2011, 10:31 AM
Mousecanuck-

Which Chamilia charms? I have some-I just started collecting late last year and I can't wait to fill my bracelet up the rest of the way. I've been trying to find a store that has a leftover "Walt Disney" spacer but everyone seems to be out of this one since it's retired. Maybe I'll find one on ebay someday. Post a picture of your bracelet if you have a chance.

dlfansx4
05-27-2011, 11:43 AM
We have TOO MANY Disney mugs and I swore I wouldn't get one this last trip...but came home with a 'mine mine mine' seagull one (from Nemo). Apparently the Mine theme was popular to my family - DD was first with a towel, then DS with a t-shirt, then me with the mug and hoodie. I never owned a hoodie for the longest time (was a jean jacket person) until I finally got a 50th Anniversary one in '06. I got another in '08 and the Mine one this year. I LOVE kitchen stuff, favorite purchase this year is the Mickey & Minnie 'round' salt & pepper shakers. All time favorite is the Mickey bottle opener that gets used lots every time we have a gathering of some sort. We each have a stein or mug from Arribas Bros (sp?); DS got anther one from WDW with a Mickey hockey player on it this year. I love Mickey jewelry - must be SS (can't afford gold and plated metals wear out too quickly) and this trip I got two Pandora/Chamilia charms (and one more was given to me from this tip for Mother's Day, plus one more bought locally - not much room on the bracelet anymore!) I think my favorite thing this trip was a scarf - a bright (almost too bright, very fun!) spotted one with hidden Mickey's all over it. I would surmize my 'must have' list as little touches of Mickey all over the place, or fun things that remind me of Disney or a favorite movie. I bought a postcard 'Mickey/Walt self-portrait' and framed it when we got home. We have a couple of serigraphs from our honeymoon in 1991. A Mickey sugar bowl. I LOVE hidden or subtle Mickey stuff that you don't notice then allova sudden you recognize who/what it is.

Outgrown T-shirts - we have a collection of four that were in good enough shape that I've put in 't-shirt' display boxes (maybe 12 x 12, from Michael's) that are going up shortly. There are two Tower of Terror ones (one 'I survived' and one 'Luxery Hotel' sparkly one), one 'Year of a Million Dreams' and one brown one that my daughter outgrew too fast but loved that has characters and icons (outlines) all over it in neon colors on a brown base. I wanted to make pillows but never got around to it; we have so many fun pillows (just bright, not Disney!) so on the wall works better for us. And throws - we EACH have a Christmas Disney one, I have a DL Castle blue fuzzy one (love it!) and a Mickey sillouette one and recently a friend passed away and I inherited a favorite of his, another different Christmas one.

How do you pick 'one' thing to collect?!?!?!??! I want it ALL!!! :)

I'm with you on that one. We have too many collections going and I continue to find more and more things that I "have to have" LOL. The kids collect pins and vinylmations. My DD also loves anything with Dumbo on it. So we have quite a few snowglobes, figurines, or anything else with Dumbo on it.

Lately we have been getting special occasion ear hats too, but I don't know how to display them. We just don't have room to put them up and the ones that I do have out, get dusty too quickly.

I think my favorite thing right now was the Disney Dream Inaugural Voyages Ear Hat that DD bought with her spending money. It has Dumbo as a cloud on one of the ears so she just had to have it. But I'm more in love with the hat box that it came in, LOL.

shna
05-27-2011, 11:52 AM
We've been on the pin-collecting thing for a while now. We don't trade (except for the $1 pins) -- we just buy the pins we want. We've now gotten DD in on the pin-collecting thing.

I also have a ridiculously large t-shirt/sweatshirt collection that isn't going to stop growing any time soon.

Malcon10t
05-27-2011, 12:24 PM
MDM just discovered the Hearldry store. I foresee a large amount of funds heading their way....