PDA

View Full Version : Mickey's Soundsational Parade

Pages : [1] 2

DizneyMommy
05-26-2011, 07:07 AM
I may well be crazy, after 2 full 8-9 hour days in the parks already this week (which we NEVER do - had family in town), I am actually considering going back today just to catch the parade. I am so excited for there to be a REAL parade again, I so miss Parade of Dreams and its music!

Has anyone caught a dress rehearsal glimpse of it? I just don't want to go through all the effort on a day which will probably be INSANE just to find it's not worth the wait (a la Celebrate!)

AVP
05-26-2011, 07:14 AM
I don't think today will be insane, since this is just a "soft opening," and not the official debut. I'd go today if you have time - the parade is at 2pm and 4:30pm.

AVP

DizneyMommy
05-26-2011, 07:32 AM
Oh, I didn't mean the parade itself would be insane, I meant the park in general. It seemed to be getting progressively more crowded all week, and with the holiday this weekend I am worried about trying to arrive in the afternoon.

olegc
05-26-2011, 08:36 AM
I am worried about trying to arrive in the afternoon.

Toy Story Lot - always a winner.

DizneyMommy
05-26-2011, 08:46 AM
Toy Story Lot - always a winner. Maybe for those of you who don't have a stroller! ;-) I avoid that one like the plague.

houseofmouse
05-26-2011, 11:20 AM
don't you fold the stroller up? Let us know if you see the parade and how it is!

Teddi
05-26-2011, 12:42 PM
I haven't seen the actual parade or anything, but i've seen quite a few pics of the floats.

I personally didn't care for the style of the floats. Sorry :| I mean, it was OK, but kind of different from what we are used to (remind me of the intro/credits of Monsters Inc in terms of stylization, kinda). Very very different from the old parade (not the celebrate thing) or the Pixar parades.

That doesn't mean the parade won't be fun, or even great. It is music focused, and that I am looking forward to because I love Disney music. It does feature some less popular characters (esp on the floats), and I did like that it went back to tossing in some old school characters.

It does look like it will be a full, "real" parade, so that's an improvement over Celebrate....

olegc
05-26-2011, 01:28 PM
i am hoping that with so many new attractions, and a new parade, that disney will FINALLY release a new Disneyland Resort CD with music, etc. Wow - they need it! it's been 6 years.

AVP
05-26-2011, 03:09 PM
I've uploaded 60+ photos from the 2pm parade to a Picasaweb album, so enjoy:

Mickey's Soundsational Parade soft opening (https://picasaweb.google.com/MousePlanetAVP/MickeysSoundsationalParadeByEyeFi?authkey=Gv1sRgCK vI8tiOi__xWA)

Note that these are "raw" photos, which means they are unedited, unprocessed, uncaptioned, and straight from my camera to the website. We'll have more photos, video and interviews with the parade creators tomorrow on MousePlanet.

AVP

disney4iv
05-26-2011, 03:28 PM
Your pictures are great! Can't wait to see the parade in person, so colorful! How was the soundtrack? Was it soundsational? :)

torquedork
05-26-2011, 03:35 PM
Your pictures are great! Can't wait to see the parade in person, so colorful! How was the soundtrack? Was it soundsational? :)

I'm the same way, Now I gotta go.

Shunasee
05-26-2011, 03:35 PM
The photos look great!@ I cant wait to see the parade

AVP
05-26-2011, 03:45 PM
How was the soundtrack? Was it soundsational? :)This is going to sound awful, but I'm waiting to get the video back from the parade so I can listen to it again. (Steven is processing it right now). It is really hard to "experience" the parade at the same time you're supposed to be filming and photographing it, and I was juggling three devices the whole time so I wasn't paying close attention to the music. My overall impression was positive - it wasn't as loud, drum-driven and cacophonous as I was afraid it would be.

AVP

DizneyMommy
05-26-2011, 04:14 PM
My girls absolutely loved it! I love that there was a variety of charachters. It didn't blow me away like parade of dreams did... but it was enjoyable!

DizneyMommy
05-26-2011, 04:39 PM
My girls absolutely loved it! I love that there was a variety of charachters. It didn't blow me away like parade of dreams did... but it was enjoyable!

dznyphreak
05-26-2011, 09:49 PM
I caught the 2:00 parade today from the "it's a small world" mall. It was great! Definitely more Parade of Dreams than Celebrate!, though the up-beat, rhythmic music and colors seem Celebrate-inspired to me. The dancer outfits are amazing and vary with their unit, like they did for PoD.

I thought the float order was weird though, with Mary Poppins closing (LOVED the chimney-sweeps). Did they order them differently for filming purposes? And will the normal parade include showstops? I miss those...

While this parade is great...does anyone else miss Celebrate! A Street Party?? No? Just me then.

DizneyMommy
05-27-2011, 06:49 AM
I thought the float order was weird though, with Mary Poppins closing (LOVED the chimney-sweeps). Did they order them differently for filming purposes? And will the normal parade include showstops? I miss those...

The 4:30 closed with MP also, and we had some VERY brief stops but probably more of a slow-down-for-floats-to-turn-corners than actual show stops. They wrapped up the filming equipment down by the train station where we sat long before the 4:30 show, so maybe there just aren't going to be any stops for this parade. That was one of the thinks I LOVED the most about PoD, especially the floats that expanded when they stopped.

houseofmouse
05-27-2011, 07:58 AM
Nice pictures! Was that Dr. Facillie from the PATF (don't know how to spell it) with the Chimney Sweeps?

Chessur
05-27-2011, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the photos! I will be at Disneyland in mid-June, but I usually don't bother to stake out the parades; I rely more on what I catch just incidentally - so it's great to be able to see all the details!

It looks beautiful - I'm sure it will be a welcome change after Celebrate!...

evrythngwmn
05-28-2011, 02:56 AM
I think it's a beautiful parade. Definitely loving it.

olegc
05-28-2011, 08:07 AM
I have not seen it live yet but after watching an HD full video of it I think they did some very smart things. They brought back the idea of using a common new music piece and weaving in the familiar music from the films - or characters in Mickey's unit. Disney guests come to the parks to see the characters and stories they have watched/read come to life - and the music helps a lot. Second, the music's energy is really good - and consistent. Not that Celebrate lacked energy, but Celebrate focused a lot on the musical eras which meant the tempo and sound changed a lot. The characters were also seemingly thrown in, instead of a focus. It was a different parade definitely and had good and bad about it. Third, the larger float units have lots of little details that move and you may miss something the first time you watch and pick it up the second or third - especially the mermaid unit. Fourth - rotating the character focus I think is a good thing. You'll always have the big ones (lion king and mermaid and the fab five) but notice no Alice this time or Pinocchio - now we go back to Mary Poppins and WAY back to Three Caballeros. Short float units to look at, good energetic music, familiar tunes, and lots of color. Simple but detailed when you look close. Very smart and I think it will be very popular.

corona
05-28-2011, 02:16 PM
but a note - from a Youtube video shot by someone else:
http://i53.tinypic.com/jzuy3p.jpg

cstephens
05-29-2011, 10:03 PM
We saw the parade today, and we all absolutely loved it. I can't even adequately explain how much I loved this parade. I know I'll be watching it multiple times. I do have to say that I was so engrossed by the visuals that I didn't pay that much attention to the music. I caught the familiar songs but I didn't hear the original song all that much, so I'll have to do that some time. The parade started with a drumline and then Mickey actually drumming - being the drummer fan that I am, that was a terrific start for me. And then it just got better and better. I loved the float with Rapunzel's home, and I loved that Mary and Bert were on moving horses, and I loved the crab, which came over to say hi, and I loved the Lion King float, which actually made me cry because it made me think of the Lion King Celebration, which is probably my favorite parade at Disneyland.

I did think it was interesting that two of the princess floats (not including Ariel) were actually based on the most recent princesses - Rapunzel and Tiana. They were gorgeous and fun floats. The more traditional princesses were pretty much just extras on Rapunzel's float, so they had a presence but weren't prominent. And the parade had a very ethnic feel to it, which was very nice. The dancers/performers for the Aladdin segment and the Tiana segment were cast to look the part, which was cool.

I've definitely not been a fan of Celebrate, so I'm thrilled to have a parade that I love to watch again.

HauntedKid
05-30-2011, 09:48 AM
Oh my God! Loved the new parade! The floats were amazin, then again whatever Disney creates I love, can`t wait to see it in person...and I catched a glimpse of the song...and sounds a little bit like the tone of PoD I think...something like "It`s a music celebration..............It`s soundsational" don`t know the exact words but i have the chorus stuck in my head (or I think I have :p) but yeah, somehow I enjoy deeply the Celebrate parade...as I did with PoD, I guess you can`t compare each parade to the other, each are unique in it`s own way, that`s were the magic relies I think... :)

dban3
05-30-2011, 11:16 AM
I think I would have chose something other than Mary Poppins to finish the parade but all-in-all, what a huge improvement from Celebrate: A Street Party.