PDA

View Full Version : DCA park guests [getting yelled at by another guest]

Pages : [1] 2 3

treelofan
05-27-2003, 03:38 PM
i hope this is the right forum :) anyways i went to dca yesterday, to meet luvmickey she's a friend of mine. anyways i went inside to wait for the 12:45 show of aladdin, i put my backpack down to see who was in the show. when i got back a very fat guy yelled at me, & made me cry. i went & told a cm there & my friend dave, who works there. went over to him & told him that i was in line. the guy made a big sceen. so my ? is did that guy have a right to yell at me & make me cry? sorry me bad ok read it now :)

Andrew
05-27-2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by treelofan
when i got back he yelled at me, & made me cry.

Who yelled at you, a guest or a Cast Member?

Rude guests you can't really do anything about except ignore them. You can complain at City Hall (or the DCA equivalent?) about rude CMs, though.

treelofan
05-27-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Andrew

Rude guests you can't really do anything about except ignore them. You can complain at City Hall (or the DCA equivalent?) about rude CMs, though. sorry i fix my thread if you wanna read it again you can :)

DisneyFan25863
05-27-2003, 04:19 PM
Why did he yell at you?

treelofan
05-27-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by DisneyFan25863
Why did he yell at you? he thought i was cutting in the line

DisneyFan25863
05-27-2003, 04:29 PM
he thought i was cutting in the line

Ah.....

Somtimes I wonder if people know how to control their anger and NOT yell :rolleyes:

treelofan
05-27-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by DisneyFan25863
Ah.....

Somtimes I wonder if people know how to control their anger and NOT yell :rolleyes: i agree

MonorailMan
05-27-2003, 05:01 PM
After A Long School Day:

Maybe he saw some food hanging out of your bag. :~D

(Oh, Cold that was.)

Anyhow, Don't worry about him. He's just one guy, who was confused. Just put him away from your thoughts. Think Happy Things. :D

HBTiggerFan
05-27-2003, 05:44 PM
There are rude people everywhere you go in life. I learn to ignore them. There is very little you can do about another rude guest. A CM can't do anything about them either. It's not like you can have the CM send them to the corner or the end of the line. I'm not really sure what you wanted the CM to do about the guy yelling at you :confused:. Maybe he wasn't yelling, maybe he was just talking loudly. Was it noisy around you? Maybe he just wanted to make sure you heard what he had to say.

My advice: You just have to deal with them and move on.

As a side question, why do you always use :~D or :D for all of your threads? Even when the topic doesn't have a :~D or:D topic?

experiment626
05-27-2003, 07:11 PM
So you put your backpack was holding your spot for you, while you read the "play bill"? If this is the case I would have been upset too. IMO, if you are not ready to get into line and wait there then don't. But do not use a backpack or other object to hold your spot.

treelofan
05-27-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by experiment626
So you put your backpack was holding your spot for you, while you read the "play bill"? If this is the case I would have been upset too. IMO, if you are not ready to get into line and wait there then don't. But do not use a backpack or other object to hold your spot. i was all ready in line they counted me when i went in line :)

treelofan
05-27-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by HB Tigger Fan
There are rude people everywhere you go in life. I learn to ignore them. There is very little you can do about another rude guest. A CM can't do anything about them either. It's not like you can have the CM send them to the corner or the end of the line. I'm not really sure what you wanted the CM to do about the guy yelling at you :confused:. Maybe he wasn't yelling, maybe he was just talking loudly. Was it noisy around you? Maybe he just wanted to make sure you heard what he had to say.

My advice: You just have to deal with them and move on.

As a side question, why do you always use :~D or :D for all of your threads? Even when the topic doesn't have a :~D or:D topic? i jsut like the smiles :) oh & whoever fixed up this thread title thx :)

experiment626
05-27-2003, 07:19 PM
i was all ready in line they counted me when i went in line :)

But you left the line to read the play bill. Regardless of them "counting" you or not.

Rustin
05-27-2003, 07:57 PM
I haven't been working at Disneyland long, but I have encounterd this situation countless times when people are getting autographs from characters out in the park. As a CM I would have no trouble politely letting this man know he was out of line. Sometimes people just happen to stand where it LOOKs like they are trying to cut, when in fact they have no intention of even visiting that attraction/character/show. It's just the nature of having so many people in such a small space.

Most people are pretty good about it, but you get the occasional grumpy guest.

for the most part my rule is to be even nicer to the people who are mad or rude. Just kill them with kindness I say. Actually it has turned a few bad situations good.

Anyway, to make a long story just a bit longer. That guest was probably out of line, but Hakuna Matatta ;)

blusilva
05-27-2003, 10:34 PM
You shouldn't have left the line. When you did, you lost your place.

No, the man shouldn't have yelled. But he was right.

And furthermore, we are on a state of Orange Alert. You should not have left your backpack unattended. You're lucky you didn't lose it and/or get hauled in by security.

ActionMarco
05-27-2003, 10:38 PM
Hmm interesting... You should either ignore this person or even yell back at him and show him up!!

treelofan
05-27-2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by blusilva
You shouldn't have left the line. When you did, you lost your place.

No, the man shouldn't have yelled. But he was right.

And furthermore, we are on a state of Orange Alert. You should not have left your backpack unattended. You're lucky you didn't lose it and/or get hauled in by security. i only carry food in my backpack not a weapon & my asprin ect

MammaSilva
05-27-2003, 10:53 PM
i only carry food in my backpack not a weapon & my asprin ect

Blusilva has a valid point, it doesn't matter what is in your backpack, leaving it unattended was risking it being confiscated by security and it isn't a place marker in a line. Especially with the country being on Orange alert status.

justagrrl
05-28-2003, 06:06 AM
In my opinion, a better way to handle the situation would have been to turn to the group behind you, before leaving the line, as ask them something like: "Do you mind if I run over to look at the playbill for just a second. I don't want to lose my place." (Then smile real big at them. )

That way - they know what you intentions are before you go running off - and if they really have a problem with it - you know before you lose your spot.

femmfaerie
05-28-2003, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Andrew

Rude guests you can't really do anything about except ignore them. You can complain at City Hall (or the DCA equivalent?) about rude CMs, though.

I had a cast member yell at me, acctually he yelled at my Grandmother at California Adventure. We were in the que to see Stomp and my sister had lead up to the wrong line. The cast members were telling guests not to clime over the ropes - we didn't clime, we just opened the rope and switched lines - there was no one there, what was the big deal? We put the rope back up. I turned around to see a little round cast member yelling at my Grandmother - what kind of crap was that! I asked him what the probelm was - we didnt clime over the ropes - he then yelled at me telling me we had to go back where we came from. Well when we changed lines a bunch of people followed - did all 40 of us have to go back? It was not like they were counting people in each section! :eek:

Pat-n-Eil
05-28-2003, 08:58 AM
I am generally very laid back when I go to Disneyland. Well.. in my attitude anyway. My wife would tell you that I run everywhere, but I'm only walking swiftly! :p

Anyhow, I have never been to the park in the last 6 years straight where someone at some point didn't do what I consider "cutting in line". I don't think it is appropriate for the youngest fastest member of your party to run ahead of everyone and get in line - holding a spot for the other 6 people who arrive 5 or 10 minutes later. I urge my family to stay with me if we are heading for an entrance (without a fastpass, that is) and I don't allow my son to run ahead of us. I think it is actually quite rude when someone holds a place in line for several other people. Why shouldn't they have to wait and use the same rules as everyone else?

That being said, I rarely say anything to them or make a fuss about it. I have been in the occasional line when one of my family members had to use the restroom and I've held their spot.. but this sort of "emergency" is pretty rare and not the same as holding a spot for your whole family.

Anyhow - leaving the line for a purpose such as to go look at a playbill certainly leaves room for interpretation and sets one up for a brief encounter from the hot and tired guest who's behind you in line while you're gone. I agree with experiment626 that you were not ready to get in line if you left it to do that.

I also concur that ANY unattended bag, backpack, brief case or purse is likely to be treated with suspician these days. You may only have apples & oranges in the bag, but without x-ray vision the CMs are not going to know that and may be instructed to contact security to remove it.

Techie7
05-28-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by femmfaerie
We were in the que to see Stomp... Do you mean Blast?

Originally posted by femmfaerie The cast members were telling guests not to clime over the ropes - we didn't clime, we just opened the rope and switched lines - there was no one there, what was the big deal? This is a big problem at the resort. When I visit disneyland I often find people moving chains in the queues or trying to go up, under, or through the chains. The chains/railings are there to guide guests where they should go. While the setup of a queue often may seem stupid or strange the cast has placed them there for a reason. Whether that reason be for safety or to make sure that every person waits their turn they are important to keeping some order at the happiest place.
Originally posted by femmfaerie I turned around to see a little round cast member yelling at my Grandmother - what kind of crap was that! I asked him what the probelm was - we didnt clime over the ropes - he then yelled at me telling me we had to go back where we came from. Well when we changed lines a bunch of people followed - did all 40 of us have to go back? It was not like they were counting people in each section! :eek: I agree that a CM should not yell at a guest. But could it have been that he was just trying to get your attention before you went too far. I know that I often see that CMs have to yell to a guest that may be going the wrong way to get their attention but then will use a "normal" voice in addressing the guest. If you were already in the queue then you were being counted. Each level of the Hyperion has its own entrance which counts how many guests have entered. By moving through a line to another section you can throw off the count or wander into a section that is not open for that show.

I am not just picking on you but this is a peeve of mine that I see happening more and more. Ropes, chains, and railings are not "suggestions" even though they may be easy to open or move around. Barracades of any type are there for your safety and to help keep order witth thousands of guests.

innerSpaceman
05-28-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Techie7
this is a peeve of mine that I see happening more and more. Ropes, chains, and railings are not "suggestions" even though they may be easy to open or move around. Barracades of any type are there for your safety and to help keep order witth thousands of guests.
Is that also true of the easily opened rope that "guides" guests into the Toy Shop following a happiest cruise that ever sailed through It's a Small World?

Merely opening the rope, walking through, and closing it behind allows such guests to use the alternate walkway directly back to Fantasyland without having to go through a store. In this case, Disney's rope-enforced "suggestion" that guests wander through a shop can have nothing to do with safety or keeping order, but rather with increasing profits - and therefore such crass placement of ropes works against Disney in trying to maintain order or safety where other ropes may actually be placed for those legitimate purposes.

femmfaerie
05-28-2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Techie7
Do you mean Blast?

This is a big problem at the resort. When I visit disneyland I often find people moving chains in the queues or trying to go up, under, or through the chains. The chains/railings are there to guide guests where they should go. While the setup of a queue often may seem stupid or strange the cast has placed them there for a reason. Whether that reason be for safety or to make sure that every person waits their turn they are important to keeping some order at the happiest place. I agree that a CM should not yell at a guest. But could it have been that he was just trying to get your attention before you went too far. I know that I often see that CMs have to yell to a guest that may be going the wrong way to get their attention but then will use a "normal" voice in addressing the guest. If you were already in the queue then you were being counted. Each level of the Hyperion has its own entrance which counts how many guests have entered. By moving through a line to another section you can throw off the count or wander into a section that is not open for that show.

I am not just picking on you but this is a peeve of mine that I see happening more and more. Ropes, chains, and railings are not "suggestions" even though they may be easy to open or move around. Barracades of any type are there for your safety and to help keep order witth thousands of guests.

he was screaming 2 inches from my Grandmothers face

ChipmunkStar
05-28-2003, 06:27 PM
OK, another CM's perspective:

If you had only left your backpack to hold your place in line, and gave no heads up to the people standing in line before or after you, then you did forfeit your place in line. Now, ad you told the people behind yo what you were going to go do, and tat you'd be back in just a moment, then I'm sure most people would have had no problem with you jumping out and back into line.

About queue chains/ropes and the skipping/moving of them. Pet peeve alert!!! I HATE when people jump the lines, but I do not yell at the guest. Rather, I usually make some sort of sarcastic comment to the person ("Yeah, those ropes aren't an obstacle course, could you go back and try again?"), and if they do not leave the line, I simply let them know that they will not be visiting the character I am helping at the moment. If they try to proceed with the line, when they get up to the front, I will simply ask them to leave. They've already had their warnings, and I see no reason why tey should benefit from breaking the rules on my time. I sure I would feel terrible if/when I have to do this to people with children, but if the parents don't set the example, I'll make an example of the parents themselves.

Fortunately, I have never had to go to such extremes in my near-2 years of working, but if it comes down to it, I'm prepared for what I'll do in said situation.