PDA

View Full Version : Tangaroa Terrace and Trader Sam's are OPEN!

Pages : [1] 2 3

AVP
05-25-2011, 04:55 PM
Tangaroa Terrace, the new Disneyland Hotel casual dining restaurant opened today, along with Trader Sam's, the much-anticipated Jungle Cruise / Tiki Room-themed bar. I got a chance to see both locations today, and Stephanie has already posted the new Tangaroa Terrace menu (http://www.mouseplanet.com/guide/1156/Disneyland-Resort/Disneyland-Hotel/Tangaroa-Terrace) in our dining guide. The Trader Sam's menu will be up shortly.

Quick thoughts: Tangaroa Terrace is an upscale version of Whitewater Snacks. As you walk in the door the menu is posted on the wall to your right, and you use one of three self-service kiosks to place your hot food order. If you're just looking for a grab-and-go item, there is a case of prepared food (prepared cold sandwiches, fruit plates), a bakery case and a cold case with juice, water and soft drinks.

Once you've made your selections, go to one of two check out counters to pay for your food. If you have ordered a hot item, the cashier will give you a number to put at your table, just as at Whitewater, and a runner will bring your food as soon as it is ready.

There are three main seating areas - a very small indoor grouping (room for about near the self-service soft drink machine; a small shaded patio to one side of the building; and a larger patio in front of the restaurant. There is almost no shade on this front patio, save what is provided by a large tree and from the building itself depending on sun position.

The menu (http://www.mouseplanet.com/guide/1156/Disneyland-Resort/Disneyland-Hotel/Tangaroa-Terrace) looks interesting, and there are a few things I'm looking forward to trying. For breakfast, the grilled cinnamon-spiced oatmeal cakes with island fruit compote and Greek yogurt caught my eye. The panko-crusted mahi mahi and sweet potato "chips" looks good, as does the pulled pork flatbread. I was happy to see the grilled salmon on the kids menu, and think that will also be a good lunch or dinner alternative for a health-conscious adult.

My first impression of Trader Sam's was, "wow, this is tiny." At 2:00 pm on a soft-opening Wednesday the place was already half full. I can't imagine what it's going to look like on a Saturday night. There are fewer than 50 seats inside the bar, though a comfortable seating area on the outside patio offers the same food and drink menu. Stephanie is working on posting that menu now, but the highlights are specialty cocktails:

Uh Oa! - light and dark rum; orange, passion fruit, guava and grapefruit juices; falernum, cinnamon and freshly squeezed lime juice. Recommended for two or more guests.

Krakatoa Punch - reserve and spiced rums, tropical juices, almond syrup, Sam's gorilla grog and hibiscus grenadine. Served in a souvenir tiki glass.

Hippopotomai-Tai - light and dark rums, orange curacao, almond syrup, organic agave nectar and freshly squeezed lime juice. Served in a souvenir tiki glass.

Shrunken Zombie Head - Reserved and aged rums, tropical juices, falernum and cinnamon.

Rosita's Margarita - Reposado tequila, orange curacao, organi agave nectar, freshly squeezed lime juice and falernum.

Ka-Blue-Ie - Light rum, cream of coconut, pineapple juice and a splash of blue curacao.

Mosquito Mojito - Strawberry rum, organic agave nectar, falernum, mint and freshly squeezed lime juice, topped with soda water.

Piranha Pool - Strawberry vodka blended with pineapple juice, cream of coconut, strawberry puree and blue curacao.

Ginger's Pear-adise - Pear vodka, ginger liqueur, organic agave nectar and freshly squeezed lime juice.

Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Rum - Reserve rum, cream of coconut and pineapple and orange juices, dusted with nutmeg and cinnamon.

Lost Safari - Darn and spiced rums, tropical juices and Sam's Gorilla Grog.

Shipwreck on the Rocks - Vourbon with freshly muddled lemon and mint with organic agave nectar.
There is an appetizer menu, wine list, draft and bottle beers and even three non-alcoholic drinks. I'll post photos later tonight.

AVP

bennette
05-25-2011, 05:19 PM
Lost Safari - Darn and spiced rums, tropical juices and Sam's Gorilla Grog.

AVP

Looking forward to a Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Rum! Not sure I know what "darn" rum is, though? Super strong?

Lilo143stitch
05-25-2011, 05:35 PM
Wow those drinks look sooo good can't wait to try them!

AVP
05-25-2011, 05:47 PM
Looking forward to a Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Rum! Not sure I know what "darn" rum is, though? Super strong?Just dark with no spell check.

bennette
05-25-2011, 05:50 PM
Just dark with no spell check.

Drats. I was hoping for extrs exotic!!

Teddi
05-25-2011, 10:36 PM
Quick thoughts: Tangaroa Terrace is an upscale version of Whitewater Snacks. As you walk in the door the menu is posted on the wall to your right, and you use one of three self-service kiosks to place your hot food order.

WHAT????????????????????

Ok, it was just me being presumptuous but they took out Hooke's Pointe and put in a self serve kiosk?
I think I could handle that (hostessless idea) elsewhere, but not there. Not in the middle of the-whatever-you-call-it. Middle of the action, poolside, hotel resort. I could see that inside one of the buildings. Way to downgrade DLH. Boo-hiss.

Ok, so maybe it will grow on me, but I am really surprised they replaced The Lost Bar/Wine Cellar/Hooke's Pointe with self serve kiosks. Total wrong direction, IMO. Why not have made it the dinner show the idea was based on originally? Hasn't DLR noticed they um, don't have a dinner show anywhere? Ok, I'm griping, but just sayin' they could have done better than that. And they put it in the worst possible spot, IMO. Or they could have done a self serve or waterside/poolside quick service window.

Teddi
05-25-2011, 10:44 PM
Wow, more hamburgers! And pizza!

Epic Fail! Err... Mickey.. yeah that's what I meant......

biolabetty
05-25-2011, 11:13 PM
I have to admit that I was also looking forward to a nice table service restaurant. If we want hamburgers, we stop at In-n-Out on our way down, it's cheaper.

olegc
05-26-2011, 08:35 AM
my guess is they looked at the hotel property and the close-by downtown disney and tried to find something that was themed well but cost conscious. They have an upscale (steakhouse55), a family dining buffet (goofy's), and a very small pastry grab and go (the coffee place near goofy's). My thought would be they did not add the dinner show because of cost issues AND the fact that it would take people away from the Downtown Disney district - where they probably charge folks to be in the entertainment area out in the public parts, and then the rest is standard entertainment fare. If you look at GCH it's kind of the same format - an upscale, a family dining, and a grab and go/quick serve. and of course a bar area.

The idea, it seems, is to offer options without competing. Unfortunately it sounds like the menu could have been more enticing - BUT - I can understand the limitations of space and what kind of kitchen tools and services may be available. To its credit they wanted to probably have something that could be served relatively quickly - so how many ways can you theme a burger? And the pizzas and salads do have more of an island direction that standard (hey, look how many folks rave about the BLT pizza at Village Haus).

So now that this menu came out, and you have seen some of the items mentioned for the new dining areas at DCA, I wonder how unique those really will be. Suffice it to say it looks like DLR Dining is trying to at least have some base standardization - with subtle changes or a signature dish in each location in order to attract somewhat repeat visits.

Wombat66
05-26-2011, 09:42 PM
Forget the food at Tangaroa Terrace, go for the drinks and ambience at Trader Sam's.

Check out what Tiki Central has to say (lots of photos and video too):
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=36594&forum=1&start=105

One person had this to say:
"I was at Trader Sam's from 6-9pm last night, and was very impressed! They managed to incorporate elements of the Enchanted Tiki Room, Tiki Ti, and most importantly have a lot of the vibe of a real tiki bar on Disney property. Not sure if I should spoil anything for anyone who hasn't been there yet, but if you order certain drinks, certain entertaining interactive events happen (which is why I mention Tiki Ti and the Enchanted Tiki Room) which is why Trader Sam's is a definite must to visit!
...As mentioned, the inside of the food service part was nothing special--a standard Disney fast food service area with no particular tiki mood inside. The mood is all in Trader Sam's, and I heartily recommend checking it out!"

Sounds great!

Wombat66
05-26-2011, 09:55 PM
Oh yeah, somebody mentioned that the bartenders at Trader Sam's are/were/act like Jungle Cruise Skippers. A definite plus.

Andrew
05-26-2011, 11:40 PM
I've seen a Twitter report that Trader Sam's does not validate Downtown Disney parking. You can still park free there for three hours, but you'd have to pay for any time after that.

dsny1mom
05-27-2011, 10:43 AM
Speaking as someone that spends a lot of time staying at DLH, I think the new restaurant is just what DLH needed. When the Monorail Cafe closed there no longer was a casual dinning spot at the DLH. Now there is. DLH already has a nice sit down restaurant (Steak House 55) and a buffet restaurant (Goofy's). I much perfer a spot we will go to multiple time during our stay VS a dinner/show type of restaurant we'd probably only go to once (or twice if it was outstanding) per stay. I'm excited to try it out when we are there in July!

dsny1mom

shna
05-27-2011, 11:49 AM
I'm already ready for this "sweet potato fries" fad to pass. A choice between sweet potato fries & papaya slaw doesn't sound appealing. If they put regular fries into the list, I bet my family would be much more likely to eat there.

Andrew
05-27-2011, 12:56 PM
I'm already ready for this "sweet potato fries" fad to pass. A choice between sweet potato fries & papaya slaw doesn't sound appealing. If they put regular fries into the list, I bet my family would be much more likely to eat there.

Agree 100%. Or onion rings, or fruit, or anything else.

fairestoneofall
05-27-2011, 01:07 PM
I do love sweet potato fries, I how hard would it be to add regular fries for those who don't care for the sweet potato variety? Really, frozen fries have to be so cheap and no additional kitchen equipment would be required, right?

newhdplayer
05-28-2011, 08:47 AM

Ditto

olegc
05-28-2011, 08:53 AM

while I love Disney's version, I do wonder why all of a sudden they have it on every menu. Are they cheaper? Did Disney invest in a Sweet Potato Fry company? Hmmm...

woody9six
05-29-2011, 12:34 PM
Not sure I know what "darn" rum is, though? Super strong?
No, that would be the damn rum...:p

ogold72
05-29-2011, 01:30 PM
Does anyone know at what point in the day they list the special dinner entree at Tangeroa?

AVP
05-29-2011, 02:00 PM
Does anyone know at what point in the day they list the special dinner entree at Tangeroa?5pm, but they won't start offering it until sometime next week.

AVP

Lilo143stitch
05-29-2011, 05:10 PM
Ate at tangeroa terrace and had drinks at trader Sam's on Friday! LOVED Trader Sam's all the drinks we tried were very tasty!!! I'll be back soon and i am thinking instead of ice cream post MA our team is going there! Tangeroa terrace was pretty good but the menu at trader Sam's looked better we will eat there next time! Oh and the ambiance at trader sam's was great!

ogold72
05-29-2011, 06:26 PM
5pm, but they won't start offering it until sometime next week.

AVP

Im there next Tuesday - Friday so hopefully they will add the extra entree item during my visit!

dban3
05-30-2011, 12:59 PM

I love sweet potato fries....the thing is I can only eat about 4 of them and thats when the longing of the traditional salt ladened french fry sets in. The sweet potato is actually one of the healthiest foods you can eat but somehow deep fried in hot grease is probably not recommended by nutritionists.

On topic...I loved the old Lost Bar. Sitting outside on a warm summer night - it was the perfect place to end the day when we chose to stay at the DLH. However, the new set-up looks even better.

mrsdisney68
05-30-2011, 01:04 PM
Is Trader Sam's more for adults?? Could I take the kids for dinner there..Food looks better then Tangaroa Terrace, I would like to try it this trip.