PDA

View Full Version : change in World of Color show to include Pirates 4

cstephens
05-23-2011, 02:54 PM
FYI, in case anyone's interested, they've modified the World of Color show with a tie-in to the new Pirates 4 movie. The new segment replaces the old Pirates segment and 2 other segments. Details in spoilers:

The old segment with Chernabog and with "Hellfire" are gone. The new segment includes a scene with the mermaids from the new movie and the big fire sequence. If you haven't seen the movie, the clips shown don't have any big spoilers, especially since without having seen the movie, you don't know how brutal that fire scene really is.

I was hoping that they'd added a Star Wars themed segment at the end, like they did with TRON. I can still hope. :)

ChrisGlass
05-23-2011, 08:45 PM
FYI, in case anyone's interested, they've modified the World of Color show with a tie-in to the new Pirates 4 movie. The new segment replaces the old Pirates segment and 2 other segments. Details in spoilers:

The old segment with Chernabog and with "Hellfire" are gone. The new segment includes a scene with the mermaids from the new movie and the big fire sequence. If you haven't seen the movie, the clips shown don't have any big spoilers, especially since without having seen the movie, you don't know how brutal that fire scene really is.

I was hoping that they'd added a Star Wars themed segment at the end, like they did with TRON. I can still hope. :)

Chernabog was the best part. There will be hell to pay.

cstephens
05-23-2011, 10:27 PM
Chernabog was the best part. There will be hell to pay.

Chernabog can still be seen in its proper place - Fantasmic.

IllusionOfLife
05-23-2011, 11:12 PM
Here's hoping this is only temporary like the addition of Blackbeard to PotC at Disneyland. The less we see of On Stranger Tides the better.

trypticon
05-24-2011, 05:31 AM
No offense, Illusionoflife, but a lot of people would say that about any park ties to the Pirates movies.

IllusionOfLife
05-24-2011, 09:17 AM
No offense, Illusionoflife, but a lot of people would say that about any park ties to the Pirates movies.

Yes that is true, there are plenty of Disneyland purists out there, but if there's going to be a movie tie-in (which, let's face it, was always going to be inevitable) wouldn't you rather have it tied into the good movies, not the boring cash-in?

trypticon
05-24-2011, 09:26 AM
I can't disagree with you there. It is my firm belief that Disney should have come to a dead stop with the Pirates films upon completion of the first. The second, and third were horrible, and rank right up there with "Santa Claus Vs the Space Martians" in my book. They could possible have been worse than that one.

I do, however, have to write again, that the Davy Jones portions of the Pirates ride were not so great, in that his dialog was so short while upon the screen of mist, that he kind of came off as a guy with OCD trying to get his lines right, since you saw him appear and go away, appear, and go away, and sometimes, appear and go away again before you even got to the screen of mist. I also still maintain the idea that threatening to kill you if you go on the ride again near the end isn't the best way to finish off what used to be a classic attraction. I get the hint from posters in several different areas of the web that I am in the minority when it comes to my feelings towards Pirates after the make over though.

cstephens
05-24-2011, 09:42 AM

I would agree with that statement. It's not that I object to a tie-in at all - I just didn't like that so much of the park got pirate-ed. I'd like Tom Sawyer Island back and have it un-pirate-lair-ed.

Yes that is true, there are plenty of Disneyland purists out there, but if there's going to be a movie tie-in (which, let's face it, was always going to be inevitable) wouldn't you rather have it tied into the good movies, not the boring cash-in?

Of course, this is based purely on your own personal opinion of the movie. Lots of people seem to like the fourth Pirates movie just fine, so they probably wouldn't agree with you. My only object to the change in World of Color is that I really liked hearing "Hellfire", but the new Pirates sequence is pretty cool too. The changes on the POTC ride are so minimal that it doesn't really make that much of a difference.

IllusionOfLife
05-24-2011, 09:50 AM
I actually quite liked Dead Man's Chest and At World's End. Yes, they suffered from starting production without a finished script, but I thought the characters were interesting, the action was fun and exciting, and the story, though not fully worked out, was interesting enough to sustain the film and keep your attention; they were also masterfully directed by Gore Verbinski. On Stranger Tides, though, is just boring. It doesn't have any interesting characters, the action scenes are shallow and lacking the charm of the original trilogy, and it's story is thin and lazy, made worse by stretching it to almost two and a half-hours. Yes, Dead Man's Chest and At World's End were overlong, but at least they had enough story to fill that time.

Sorry, I didn't mean to go off on On Stranger Tides like that in yet another thread. *ahem* back to the point at hand.

Anyway, I agree that the Davy Jones effect isn't as good as it could be, and is the weakest part of the new additions. However, I think it's a good idea in theory, it just needs some adjustment to make it work better. Give him a longer spiel and time it right so that each boat optimally only sees it once before passing through (yes, I know that with a ride like Pirates the timing is going to be inconsistent and so it likely won't work perfectly every time, but even seeing two spiels before passing through is better than the three or four you see now). Also, I've never personally been bothered by the "threats" at the end of the ride, it bothers me more that, again, you hear three or four spiels while going up the hill making it feel far less personal than it should.

Teddi
05-24-2011, 09:08 PM
So just to be clear: the music has changed, or just the film footage?

I was struck last month (only 2nd time seeing WOC) that what I really really thought was awesome was the musical arrangements were fabu.

cstephens
05-24-2011, 10:45 PM
So just to be clear: the music has changed, or just the film footage?

I think the music has changed, though I don't know the music from Pirates 4 well enough to say for sure. However, keep in mind that the overall music theme from Pirates 4 is similar to the first Pirates movie. They did remove the music that accompanied the other two segments that they replaced. I didn't think they previously showed footage from Pirates, just a couple of static pictures. There are actually film clips now from Pirates 4.

THpoohbear
05-28-2011, 11:04 PM
Ah! That would explain it! We were watching WOC tonight but then ducked into the newly opened Little Mermaid line. As we were in line, the WOC music suddenly became unfamiliar. DH asked if they changed it. I told him I didn't know but the music was definitely different from what we recognized. We couldn't really see much at that point in the line. But with a little I heard tonight I think the music is very different from the original WOC scenes.

IllusionOfLife
06-07-2011, 07:34 AM
I just saw the new sequence last night, and I must say I loved it. I've made it clear that I have no love for On Stranger Tides, but this new scene from World of Color does the franchise much more justice than the short sequence we used to have, and is, in fact, way better than the film itself. I would be quite happy if this was a permanent addition to the show, however, I'd like to see them integrate more of the first three films into it, rather than having it exclusively On Stranger Tides.

I also found it humorously ironic that the music for that scene came from At World's End rather than On Stranger Tides because, like many other things in On Stranger Tides, the score was weak and uninteresting.