PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake in Tokyo

Lost Boy
05-27-2003, 07:51 AM
I was just wondering, (and I am posting this here because I went to the Aisia Parks Board and there are only two posts and no one on the board) if anyone has heard how the 7.0 quake near Tokyo affected the Tokyo Disneyland Resort. I happened in the afternoon so I suppose that the Parks where crowded. I wonder what happened. Did they close rides for testing, evacuate the Parks, or what? Anybody heard anythying?

screamin4ever
05-27-2003, 10:49 AM
What? All MSNBC is reporting is:

• Soccer teen gets $1 million shoe deal
• Roddick upset at French Open
• Bravo to keep gay reality date
• Juice: Missing ‘Idol’ votes found
• Iraqis scramble to restore Internet
• Tax-dodging firms win U.S. deals

jazzjunkie
05-27-2003, 11:39 AM
International Herald tribune report (http://www.iht.com/articles/97588.html)

More world coverage (http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&edition=usa&q=tokyo+earthquake)

Lost Boy
05-27-2003, 11:56 AM
See, there is all kinds of news about the Quake but not one mentions the effect it had on the Tokyo Disneyland Resort. That's what I am trying to find out about. I know they have proceedures and I know that if it had been seriously damaged that would have made the headlines for sure, but I am just curious about what they did at the Parks duing and after the quake.

Icy Bacon
05-27-2003, 02:34 PM
I'm sure Tokyo Disney is fine, the Japanese build everything expecting earthquakes. I don't know if you've seen Thunder Dolphin, but it's a 260-ft rollercoaster on the side of a building near the Tokyo Dome and if you compare it to the similar Millenium Force coaster in Ohio, the Japanese one has about three times the support structure. (just a nice clear visual example of seismic code there)

RStar
05-27-2003, 04:01 PM
But to answer your question, I would think they would shut down all the rides and test them all. I don't know that for sure. But they must have a policy similar to the DL one.

Any DL CMs out there know what our policy is? This may shed some light on it untill we hear more from someone in Tokyo.

I pray for everyone over there during this hard time.

Lost Boy
05-27-2003, 04:13 PM
I do know that a week after the 1994 Northridge Quake we were back at Disneyland for our usual Sunday outing. We were in the Golden Horseshoe in the afternoon watching the Review (this was the show that was playing there before Billy Hill and the Hillbillies) and a large aftershock hit and we felt a rolling motion. The MC of that show, whom I knew from seeing him many times before in different shows at the Park, looked at me and we just nodded that yep, the room shook. When we went outside after the show, we found out that BTM, Matterhorn, Space Mountain, Mansion, Splash and Pirates had all been evacuated and closed while they tested for track and/or building stress or damage. None was found and everything was back to normal in about an hour.