PDA

View Full Version : Birthday buttons

Pages : [1] 2

ScottC4746
05-23-2011, 06:02 AM
When I booked my hotel reservation and restaurant reservations they told me to go by City Hall for my Birthday Button even though I will be there 1 day prior to my birthday.
Will I be the only 46 year old wearing one and what does it do for me? Since we check in the hotel Friday (2 days prior to my birthday), can I swing by Friday night so I don't have to pick it up on Saturday morning?

fairestoneofall
05-23-2011, 06:06 AM
No, lots of people of all ages wear buttons. I certainly do! If you are staying on DLR property and they have noted that you are celebrating your birthday on your reservation, they might have your button ready for you at check in. That's been our experience in the past with our birthdays, anniversaries and such. You can get a button at City Hall anytime.

ScottC4746
05-23-2011, 06:08 AM
What do they do for you by wearing them?

cstephens
05-23-2011, 06:25 AM
When I booked my hotel reservation and restaurant reservations they told me to go by City Hall for my Birthday Button even though I will be there 1 day prior to my birthday.
Will I be the only 46 year old wearing one and what does it do for me?

You can get and wear the button any time you'd like - age has nothing to do with it.

You mentioned on another thread that you're staying at the Grand Californian. Unless they've changed things, you can also get a birthday button from the bell desk in the lobby, though when I did that, they didn't have a sharpie, so I had to get the personalization done elsewhere. In addition to City Hall, you can also get a button from the info booth at the end of Main Street.

What you'll get - mostly, you'll get happy birthday acknowledgements from CMs and guests alike. That's pretty cool. At some restaurants, you might get a complimentary dessert, and if you go through the tortilla factory building at DCA, you might get a packet of whatever tortillas you're making, but neither are guaranteed. Just wear the button and have a great time! :)

Karin
05-23-2011, 06:46 AM
Don't they also play a special message from a special Disney friend on a phone in any of the stores if you ask? Or is that just for the kids?

Drince88
05-23-2011, 06:53 AM
My sister got a call from Goofy one year at WDW in a store in DTD. (The CM initiated the call, she didn't ask for it)

DSNYDad
05-23-2011, 07:07 AM
When we went for my wife's birthday, of course she was wearing a button, a group of about 10 teenagers saw her button and they all broke out singing her a birthday song and clapping :cool: It made our day, what a great bunch of kids. Us and our teenagers thought it was great.

Wear your button proudly and have a magical time. ;)

letshavefun
05-23-2011, 03:29 PM
I love saying Happy Birthday to people wearing the buttons it's funny it seems to catch them for guard but they always smile and say thank you.

ChrisGlass
05-23-2011, 08:46 PM
Don't they also play a special message from a special Disney friend on a phone in any of the stores if you ask? Or is that just for the kids?

Is '24' still a kid?

heatherya
05-23-2011, 09:24 PM
i'll be 35 on my next birthday and i'll definitely be getting one of those :)

biolabetty
05-23-2011, 11:17 PM
My mother wore one on her 80th. I was at Disneyland today for my 10 year old's birthday, and she got a birthday phone call at City Hall from Goofy.

DSNYDad
05-24-2011, 08:20 AM
I got the button and phone call on my 42nd birtday (wow that was a long time ago). The kids actually listened to the phone call more than I did :)

CariBelle
05-24-2011, 10:45 AM
I love saying Happy Birthday to people wearing the buttons it's funny it seems to catch them for guard but they always smile and say thank you.

Me too!
I always wear one at the resort for trips near my bday. In 2009 my nephews had their buttons on and our waitress at Carnation Cafe brought everyone at our table a little dish of strawberries and whipped cream, it was such a sweet gesture!

DwarfPlanet
05-25-2011, 01:38 PM
If the City Hall line is really long you can alse pick up buttons from the CM at the status board.

heatherya
05-25-2011, 08:00 PM
Sometimes they have the buttons behind store counters too. We were in the store outside of the Buzz Lightyear ride once when dd was a baby, and the CM behind the counter asked how old she was. I said "13 months today", and he got a birthday pin out for her...we went straight over to get our 10 pack of tortillas after that lol. You can tell that this was a while ago, since dd is over 4 years old (almost 3 in my pic) and I don't think they give 10 tortillas anymore.

SigalTchelet
05-25-2011, 08:05 PM
You can get and wear the button any time you'd like - age has nothing to do with it.

You mentioned on another thread that you're staying at the Grand Californian. Unless they've changed things, you can also get a birthday button from the bell desk in the lobby, though when I did that, they didn't have a sharpie, so I had to get the personalization done elsewhere. In addition to City Hall, you can also get a button from the info booth at the end of Main Street.

What you'll get - mostly, you'll get happy birthday acknowledgements from CMs and guests alike. That's pretty cool. At some restaurants, you might get a complimentary dessert, and if you go through the tortilla factory building at DCA, you might get a packet of whatever tortillas you're making, but neither are guaranteed. Just wear the button and have a great time! :)

We had dessert at Napa Rose lounge on Sunday and my bff celebrated her 36th birthday. It was complimentary. We stayed at the GCH and they gave her a birthday button and some balloons.

PhiSigDuchessCV
05-29-2011, 10:39 AM
When stayed at the Grand California a couple years ago for a night we celebrated both my mom (70 something) and my brother (40 something) birthdays. I had mentioned it at the time of the reservation. At checkin, they had buttons ready for both, then they went to the back office and brought out balloons and autographed character pictures for both. Throughout the day people were wishing them happy birhtday.

For my dad's 80th birthday we got him a button and dapper dan's sang him happy birthday

Tomblie
05-30-2011, 01:31 AM
My fiance wore one and she turned 24. All it did was get birthday greetings from cast members and the ocasional random guest in the park. She also got unbelievably embarrassed in DCA. We were on our way to have some mexican food on the pier when we got stopped by a wandering mariachi band that sang happy birthday to her and worked in the line "It's your birthday so shake your chacha's"

She took off the pin and practically dragged me out of the park

hefferdude
05-30-2011, 09:32 AM
We try to wish a guest "happy birthday!" when we see their bday button. It's fun to catch them off guard. Some look startled, some say thanks, and then a few look at us as if we are some kind of wierdo. The older you get, the more fun you can have wearing it on your birthday. Something about the kid in us all factor.

cheshirecatgirl
05-30-2011, 09:44 AM
My birthday is a week before Christmas. One year at WDW, I went to Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party for my birthday, and wore the button. I was waiting for the parade on Main St, and a CM saw my button and got the whole waiting crowd to sing happy birthday to me! Also, I have often gotten free desserts. But mostly just CMs and guests saying happy birthday. It's fun!

ferliemom
06-02-2011, 03:30 PM
Can you also get b-day buttons from the ticket kiosks? And for the b-day call from Goofy in City Hall, is there usually a line? Do you have to ask a CM or something? What other locations get you a b-day call? Thanks!

rickosuave1987
06-02-2011, 03:34 PM
Can you also get b-day buttons from the ticket kiosks? And for the b-day call from Goofy in City Hall, is there usually a line? Do you have to ask a CM or something? What other locations get you a b-day call? Thanks!

They do have the buttons at the ticket booths. And at the information kiosk outside the bag-check stations if it is open.

Sometimes there is a really long line at city hall and sometimes it is empty, I think it is hit and miss to try and go there.

I got a button for my birthday on Tuesday at the Star Trader. I only got a lot of "Happy Birthdays!" from various cast members and random people walking by.

ScottC4746
06-03-2011, 04:02 AM
They do have the buttons at the ticket booths. And at the information kiosk outside the bag-check stations if it is open.

Sometimes there is a really long line at city hall and sometimes it is empty, I think it is hit and miss to try and go there.

I got a button for my birthday on Tuesday at the Star Trader. I only got a lot of "Happy Birthdays!" from various cast members and random people walking by.

I think peak times are right when the park opens (park info), just before Fantasmic (how do I get one of those seats?), Just before Fireworks (lost and found) , and near park closing (lost and found). Of course if an attraction goes down then you have the screamers that DL ruined their day.

ferliemom
06-03-2011, 06:43 AM
Thanks rickosuave and Scott. :-)

Does anyone know if City Hall is the only place to get a birthday call? Do you have to wait in line to talk to a CM, or is the phone visibly available somewhere?
Thx!

Teddi
06-03-2011, 10:01 PM
Please correct me anyone if you know I'm wrong-

I don't believe you can really request the birthday calls. They are done at City Hall (only) and they give a few out randomly to kids each day.