PDA

View Full Version : DL Vacation Question..

PsychDoc
05-26-2003, 08:37 AM
I have 2 questions that I'd really appreaciate some help with.

1. I'm going to DL next week (yeah!!) and I've been browsing through various web sites. Looking at the DL main site, I was checking out the meal packages. I booked my trip through Travelvelocity and they said they can't sell the meal packages, only Disney vactions can. I called Disney, and they said they'll sell them only in combo with a vacation package. My question is this, can you purchase the food vouchers anywhere else?

2. I'm also planning my sister's bachelorette party at DL in late October. Every time I go to DL I always say I'm going to stay at the California Hotel because it's new, it's in the park and just looks so cool. However, I always end up staying either at the Pier or DLH because I get such great deals there. My second question is this, is it really worth it to stay at the California? If we do stay there does it really make a difference to upgrage to concierge level?

Please help! I'm very torn about this

Duane
05-26-2003, 09:57 AM
I hope I can offer some advice in relation to your two questions. First, my wife and I used to stay at the Disneyland hotel during our visits but decided to give the Grand Californian a try. It is awesome! We always get a Downtown Disney view room. At the end of a long day in the parks, we find it quite relaxing to sit out on the balcony watching everyone enjoy themselves. Although we do like the Disneyland hotel and the wonderful feeling of magic it provides, we will always stay at the Grand Californian in the future, the location is worth every dollar. Next question, I recommend booking your next vacation online with a booking agency I have used for years. Go to www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com and put in for a quote. Their prices are lower than anyone I have ever found and you can buy package deals which include meal vouchers. Try this for a comparison, go to their website and request a quote for the same vacation you already have booked. Use the same dates and same hotel room, etc. You may be shocked at how much Dreams can save you on your trip. I typically save 35%-50% when using their services. Good luck!

peasy
05-26-2003, 10:10 AM
I think that there is a difference between DGC and the DLH, and it depends on what type of group you are as to if it is worth the extra money....DGC is more for the 5 star crowd. Everything is one step up in service and quality,....however, if you are just a Disney freak, and you have kids nothing compares to DLH. How do you replace the never-land pool with waterslide? We always have a pool view and it is just as relaxing as watching Downtown Disney. Anywhooo,....it may be worth the extra money to some people, but not all of us....:)

PsychDoc
05-26-2003, 11:40 AM
Thanks Duane for the helpful hints. I really think we should give the California a try at least one time. And I'm going to try out the website right now. Thanks again.

dgdisney
05-26-2003, 01:03 PM
We just returned from a 4 night stay at the GCH concierge level and while I would stay at the hotel again in a heartbeat I would pass on the concierge level. The rooms were essentially the same and the ammenities of the lounge do not equate to $100 per day (and we really used everything - breakfast, snacks, & milik and cookie time).

Next time I would use the $$ to upgrade the view and have the Disney Vacation Planners add a bit more Disney magic to my room!

Although in this debate you cannot pick a losing side

:)

Have fun!

MickeyandMe
05-27-2003, 02:27 PM
To answer your question about the meal vouchers - No, there is no other way to buy them than through a Walt Disney Travel Company package OR if you buy Passport Plus you can add the meal tickets to that purchae. It doesn't matter where you buy the Walt Disney Travel Company package or the Passport Plus tickets - you can buy them directly through Disney, online or any travel agent and get the meal vouchers included - but it has to be one of these options only.

As a travel agent I often get really good room/ticket deals through Disney, but they do not include any way to purchase the meal vouchers. On our latest trip in February I tried every option I could think of to get those meal vouchers, but there was not any way to get them. The one possibility that was left open was to go to the Walt Disney Travel Company in Downtown Disney and possibly be able to order them there, but they told me they would maybe be available in a day or two after I ordered them, which kind of defeats the purpose if you are only staying for a 4 night trip!

Hope that helps!