PDA

View Full Version : Are there any rides at Disneyland? Discuss.

Pages : [1] 2

DL4EVER
05-26-2003, 12:21 AM
Well? The topic says it all.

MonorailMan
05-26-2003, 12:36 AM
Yes, there are. End Of discussion. ;)

rexfarms
05-26-2003, 01:15 AM
No, there are only attractions. This is one of my biggest pet peeves, NOT RIDES, ATTRACTIONS. Thanks and sorry. :fez:

cemeinke
05-26-2003, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by rexfarms
No, there are only attractions. This is one of my biggest pet peeves, NOT RIDES, ATTRACTIONS. Thanks and sorry. :fez:

What about "adventures" - they've got those too ;)

mousetrap adam
05-26-2003, 02:08 AM
Yes, but there's only one:

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Meh.

-Mo

danyoung
05-26-2003, 06:30 AM
I guess it depends on your idea of a ride. Mine would be any conveyance or vehicle that I get into that takes me somewhere. So by that definition, yes, Disneyland has plenty of rides of all flavors, from the ride in a trolley down Main Street to a ride in an Autopia car to a ride on a Matterhorn bobsled. There is a difference between a ride and an attraction. Mr. Lincoln is an attraction, Pirates is a ride.

Now, if you're talking THRILL rides, then probably Pirates wouldn't qualify, but Space Mountain should. I personally hate the trend of the Disney parks in recent years to lean more toward the thrill ride, although I understand the sound business reasons for doing so. I guess I'm just an old fart whose idea of a maximum thrill IS Space Mountain.

Dan (still too chicken to try the Rockin' Roller Coaster!)

10krbell
05-26-2003, 06:46 AM
Ok, this is also a pet peeve, probably resulting from the brainwashing...uhmm training...from my CM days. No rides in DL. You get to pick from Attractions and Adventures. You get to ride in a Caterpillar on the Alice in Wonderland Attraction. (if you have a 4 yo dd, you may get to ride on that attraction over and over and over again)

CrayZforDisney
05-26-2003, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by rexfarms

No, there are only shows. Walt Disney and his imagineers didn't want "attractions", attractions could be some carnival game. The rides are called shows, and the employees are called cast members. A "show" takes you through an experience and adventure. For example, PotC, HM, and Indiana Jones are shows.

Matterhorn Fan
05-26-2003, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by danyoung
Mr. Lincoln is an attraction, Pirates is a ride.If I am attracted to Pirates, doesn't that make Pirates an attraction?

(still too chicken to try the Rockin' Roller Coaster!) It only lasts about a minute. You'll be OK. ;)

10krbell
05-26-2003, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by CrayZforDisney
No, there are only shows. Walt Disney and his imagineers didn't want "attractions", attractions could be some carnival game. The rides are called shows, and the employees are called cast members. A "show" takes you through an experience and adventure. For example, PotC, HM, and Indiana Jones are shows.

Well, this is what I remember from Disney U (now this is from when I went through it about 7 years ago or so) All of Disneyland is the *Show* which takes through the adventures. As a CM, as soon as you are where the public can see you, you are On-Stage. But rides are either Attractions or Adventures.

cemeinke
05-26-2003, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by CrayZforDisney

Of course if you look at the first guide books from the 50's - all the things we now call "attractions' or "adventures" are listed as "rides" - so apparently it took awhile for this concept to blossem in the Disney Company.

Lost Boy
05-26-2003, 09:25 AM
Here is what a friend and I came up with when we wrote a "Find The Hidden Item at Disneyland" type book several years ago. Sorry, only 15 copies were ever printed and they sold out the next day or were given away to people like Van France.

RIDE: Anything that does NOT convey a "story" is a ride. Hence the Main Street vehicles, the train around the Park, etc are simply rides.

ATTRACTIONS: Are those things which convey a story, such as the Dark Rides (yes I know this is an oxymoran, but Walt called them Dark Rides and I am not about to argue) in Fantasyland and Tommorowland, BTM, even the Matternhorn. And attrtaction is also a "Show" that has no human perfromers, ie: Tiki Room, Small World, Country Bears (Gone but not forgotten and still playing in WDW and Tokyo DL).

ADVENTURE: Are those things like Indiana Jones, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, as these have extensive background stories that carry through the entre Adventure that totaly immerse you in the Adventure.

SHOWS are any stage production that includes human performers, therefore Fantasmic! is a show, the Golden Horseshow Review, Billy HIll and the Hillbillies, whatever is playing at Fantasyland Theater, or in front of the castle, as long it has real live people (and there can be puppets or animtronics as well, but humans must be visible in the show) then its a show.

That was what we came up with so we could make things clearer and set up rules for the game the book had you play. I still use it today when describing things to do at Disneyland.

ChipmunkStar
05-26-2003, 01:43 PM
As previously said:

There is ONE ride at Disneyland. Mr. Toad's Wild RIDE. Everything else is either an attraction or an an adventure.

lazyboy97O
05-26-2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by cemeinke
Of course if you look at the first guide books from the 50's - all the things we now call "attractions' or "adventures" are listed as "rides" - so apparently it took awhile for this concept to blossem in the Disney Company.

According to Disneyland: Inside Story the rides of Disneyland became the result of a change in vocabulary after issues with staff that came from outside sources and Walt decided to create Disney U. Here's a quote.

An entirly new vocabulary was created that overturned traditional amusement park lingo. Paying customers became "guests", each and every one to be treated as a VIP. Employees were dubbed "hosts" and "hostesses," and all members of the entire Disneyland organization, from Walt Disney to the newest employee, were to be addressed by their first names to ensure casual, relaxed, and friendly atmosphere. Public areas were reffered to as "on stage," behind the scenes as "backstage." Even the time-honored amusement park "ride" disappeared, replaced by "attraction" or "adventure"

So, there were rides and now there aren't.

hazlnut
05-26-2003, 07:15 PM
Semantics... yikes!

Like they saying goes: The Customer (Guest) is always right.
So, I think they are what people call them...

"Do you want to eat or go on some more RIDES?"

"What RIDES did you go on?"

"Grandpa, will you take me on that RIDE?"

"The lines to get on the RIDES were so long."

"I don't like fast RIDES."

"I love fast RIDES."

"Let's go on that RIDE again."

"Will we get wet on this RIDE?"

"They really need to build more RIDES at California Adventure."

danyoung
05-27-2003, 05:08 AM
Originally posted by Matterhorn Fan
It [Rock'n Roller Coaster] only lasts about a minute. You'll be OK. ;)

It's not really the ride itself that's got me nervous - it's the over the shoulder restraint. I've become more and more claustrophobic in my old age, and this kind of restraint, if it's too tight, would make the ride a 1 minute long panic attack. It really sucks, too, cuz I LOVE roller coasters!

I'll get up the nerve one of these days . . . . .

rexfarms
05-27-2003, 03:25 PM
hazlnut,
I am a guest, I say attraction of I much be right! It could just as easily be I want to ride that ATTRACTION. Dont you think?:)

DL4EVER
05-27-2003, 11:32 PM
Actually, most peeps here are right. There ARE only attractions and adventures. In reality, yes they are rides, but in Disney, they are not.

EDIT: I made this thread because IMO, there are only attractions and adventures. Now one attraction has ride in its name, but that is Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, not ours, even though we get to participate in it.

AliKzam
05-27-2003, 11:41 PM
I never knew that.

I mean, sure, in the pamphlets, they're called attractions. But so is the Tortilla Factory. Heck, that would make any Krispy Kreme an attraction . But if it moves, if you can-- I don't know-- ride on it, I would think that would qualify it as a ride. But I'm just a once-a-year tourist.

wdtv
05-28-2003, 04:47 PM
I consider King Arthur's Carousel to be a ride (Just like any other carousel in any other theme park). The same holds true for the Main Street Vehicles, Casey Jr, Dumbo, Gadget's Go Coaster, the Toontown trolley, and the rockets. To me, an attraction, by today's standards at least, means a truly immersive experience. Indy, Jungle Cruise, Star Tours, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder, Enchanted Tiki Room, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, the Submarine Voyage are all attractions. Even tamer ones such as Autopia, Winnie the Pooh, Roger Rabbit, Mr. Toad, Pinnochio, Alice, Snow White, Small World, and my personal Fantasyland fav, Peter Pan, all immerse people into the experience, and thus are all attractions.

JMHO, though

cemeinke
05-28-2003, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by AliKzam
I mean, sure, in the pamphlets, they're called attractions. But so is the Tortilla Factory.

It was a sad day when Cosmic Waves was no longer listed as an attraction - What a ride...
:fez:

Germboy
05-28-2003, 07:36 PM
I have an attraction to the adventure of riding showy amusements.

Lashbear
05-28-2003, 07:48 PM
I have an attraction for CHURROS & CORNDOGS :fez:

rexfarms
05-28-2003, 08:37 PM
Its less of a themeing thing and more of a Disney/Guest name thing like Cast Memebers, yes they really are just "workers" but thats not as magical is it? ;)

stitcher
05-28-2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Matterhorn Fan
If I am attracted to Pirates, doesn't that make Pirates an attraction?

Hmm, sounds more like you just dream of being a wench.....:D :D :D

[freud mode]Tell me about your parents[/freud mode]

[pirate mode]WE WANT THE READHEAD!!![/pirate mode]