PDA

View Full Version : Yesterland

PsychDoc
05-25-2003, 09:23 AM
I'm sure most of you have seen the yesterland web site where they describe and show pics of "dead" rides. I've always thought it would be cool to add on to DL and make a "Yesterland" where the "dead" rides could be resessatated. I'm sure many will disagree with this post. i.e., many of the old rides are gone for a reason (Captan EO). But many would be great to see again. What would you like to include. Also, bring back old eating establishments as well -- BTBQ!!!!

mousketeer
05-25-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by PsychDoc
I'm sure most of you have seen the yesterland web site where they describe and show pics of "dead" rides. I've always thought it would be cool to add on to DL and make a "Yesterland" where the "dead" rides could be resessatated. I'm sure many will disagree with this post. i.e., many of the old rides are gone for a reason (Captan EO). But many would be great to see again. What would you like to include. Also, bring back old eating establishments as well -- BTBQ!!!!

Walt Disney once said something to the affect that rides should be replaced once they're past their prime. He was not very sentimental. I think that creating a hog-wash land like that would be an even greater insult to his legacy. Sure, Disney needs to have remnants of its past, and the Enchanted Tiki Room, GM Mr. Lincoln, and Carousel of Progress are all prime examples.
In conclusion, our favorite rides and attractions of the past need to stay as memories of the good old days. I'm sure that in 25 years we will look back at the good old days of Indiana Jones Adventure, Star Tours, and so on.

danyoung
05-26-2003, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by PsychDoc
...I'm sure many will disagree with this post. i.e., many of the old rides are gone for a reason (Captan EO).

Hey, wait a second - what's wrong with Captain EO? It was always one of my favorites, MUCH better than HISTA. Mr. Jackson's bad behavior notwithstanding, I'd LOVE to see it come back in some form. I recorded the broadcast of Eo that MTV did a few years back, but it's just not the same without the theater-shaking low end on the explosions, the blinking green light and smoke when they "find the beacon", or of course the ground breaking 3D. I MISS EO!!!!

Lost Boy
05-26-2003, 08:55 AM
You mentioned that Walt was not sentintal and from what I hear that is very true. Except in one case. I got this from a Cast Member Tour Guide on the Walking With Walt tour.

We all know that Walt had two offices at the Studio (they were both on Display at Disneyland until they took the working office to Florida and won't give it back like they promised). One was his working office and the other was the larger Formal Office that he used for discussing things with visiting dignataries, or directors or song writers. The piano in that office was used by the Sherman Brothers to play the music from Mary Poppins for Walt. Anway, after Walt passed on, they finally made the decision to enter the offices and clean them up. In regards to the statement about him not being a sentimental person, he was prone to starting something, be it a cartoon short, a feature, or even a Ride/Attraction/Adventure/Show at Disneyland, once that project was finished he moved on to the next project. When the went thru his desk in the Formal Office, in the bottom drawer, laying in the bottom, wrapped in plastic was the shooting script for "Steamboat Willie". Walt never forgot that it all stated with a Mouse!

mousketeer
05-26-2003, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Lost Boy
You mentioned that Walt was not sentintal and from what I hear that is very true. Except in one case. I got this from a Cast Member Tour Guide on the Walking With Walt tour.

We all know that Walt had two offices at the Studio (they were both on Display at Disneyland until they took the working office to Florida and won't give it back like they promised). One was his working office and the other was the larger Formal Office that he used for discussing things with visiting dignataries, or directors or song writers. The piano in that office was used by the Sherman Brothers to play the music from Mary Poppins for Walt. Anway, after Walt passed on, they finally made the decision to enter the offices and clean them up. In regards to the statement about him not being a sentimental person, he was prone to starting something, be it a cartoon short, a feature, or even a Ride/Attraction/Adventure/Show at Disneyland, once that project was finished he moved on to the next project. When the went thru his desk in the Formal Office, in the bottom drawer, laying in the bottom, wrapped in plastic was the shooting script for "Steamboat Willie". Walt never forgot that it all stated with a Mouse!

Very true. I hear that's about all he kept. Walt was interested in progress, not the past.

zapppop
05-26-2003, 08:37 PM
A former TDA CM came to work @ my company for a few months. My dad met her and arranged for me to meet her and when I talked to her I asked why they removed Captain EO, and she claimed it was because of the Michael Jackson sex scandal. The funny thing is, since it's removal from the theme parks, Disney wants to release Captain EO for sale but Michael Jackson is blocking the release because he's still mad with Disney.

anywho, a theme park of discontinued attractions would be fun.

danyoung
05-27-2003, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by zapppop
...I asked why they removed Captain EO, and she claimed it was because of the Michael Jackson sex scandal.

That's not how I remember it, although admittedly my memory could be faulty on this. I remember the scandal happening after the show was closed down. It was changed to HISTA because it was time for a change, and I can't really argue with that. Doesn't mean I still don't miss it, tho . . .

PinkFloyd
05-28-2003, 09:54 AM
I think that some of you may be misinterpreting what PsycDoc is suggesting. I don't believe that is a proposal to replace Disneyland in its current form. Rather, this is a suggestion to "add on to DL". This could even be the infamous third gate. Wouldn't it be much cooler to re-visit Bear Country Jamboree or take a ride on the People Mover than to go to a water park? It's true that Walt wanted Disneyland to be fresh innovative. However, he was a very nostalgic individual. Why do you think we have Main Street or Frontierland ? As neat of an idea this is, unfortunately it is probably only marketable to Disney freaks like us and to Disney it is all about the bottom line.

But think of the possibilities! Yesterland could sell replica souvenirs from the early days, people could dine at Aunt Jemima Kitchen, visit Frito Kid...

PsychDoc
05-28-2003, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the support PinkFloyd. You must really know your Disneyland History and are a true DL fan.

Tref
05-29-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by PinkFloyd
I think that some of you may be misinterpreting what PsycDoc is suggesting. I don't believe that is a proposal to replace Disneyland in its current form. Rather, this is a suggestion to "add on to DL". This could even be the infamous third gate.

I think it would be of a step in the wrong direction to either build a third park of old Disney attractions, or even include them in Disneyland itself. A lot of people might interpret this move as a sign of desperation. Many of the older attractions should probably exist only as they do now -- in our memories.

But ...

since DCA is a mess of themes anyway, Yesterland could conceivably be added to DCA in sort of a hodge podge way. Maybe the theme of the land could be Disney's Storehouse. In that way, they could squeeze a To-morrowland ride next to a Fantasyland ride and it would seem perfectly natural. The design of the land would be authentic storage yard chic. The old buildings (designed to look like the transplanted originals) may lean a little to the left or right due to supposed neglect. The entrance of YL could be similar to an actual storage yard: broken barb-wire strung above a faded brick archway, a rusted, "beware of dog" sign and wooden crates piled precariously atop other crates. The land would look not unlike the whole of Disneyland if it were squeezed into an area the size of Fantasyland.

But here is the beauty part ... like an actual storage area, YL will be guarded by actual yard bulls. If say, Merlinjones, wished to visit his beloved Adventures Thru Innerspace ride, he first must risk serious injury by evading the wrath of several sets of snapping mandibles.

In this manner those of you who long for the Disneyland's past will have said portal to that era and those of us who enjoy watching shows like, When Animals Attack!, will have their own special land. Everybody's happy, yes?

Now, I guess, the only thing that remains, is how my grand idea will be celebrated. Do you think an honorary engraved MP plaque is due? Or, maybe an all expense paid trip to the Bahamas? Maybe both? I eagerly await your decision.

HAPPY 100th BIRTHDAY BOB HOPE!

Rangnar
05-29-2003, 02:15 PM
anyway, they already have a Yesterland, just go down mainstreet and hang a right and see:

The empty circlevision building,
The unused tracks for the peoplemover (I never got to ride the rods - so it's the peoplemover to me)
The empty sub lagoon,
The shut down space mountain,
etc...

Gallery 196
05-29-2003, 04:03 PM
I must admit psychdoc, that it would be great to once again hear that dramatic narration of Paul Frees as he "continues to shrink" in the natural surroundings of the giant ice crystals. Or count how many different names the family dog has in the Carrousel of Progress. Or slam my foot down to the floorboard in a vain attempt to get the motorboat to do more than 2.5 mph.
But as the others have said, they are gone. And I really do think walt wanted it that way (if I may be so bold as to speak for the man). And once those attractions are gone, they should be remembered only in our minds, in our cherrished memories of how they sounded, felt, and even smelled.

I hope most of you are aware of a gentlemen named David O'Niel. He runs a web site called extinct-attractions-club.com. David is a professional editor for the industry and on the side, he makes full length documentaries of the Attractions at Disneyland that are no longer with us. He currently has six DVDs out (america sings, natures wonderland, submarine voyage, adventure thru inner space, mission to mars, and the people movers). They are all very professionally done. He has just re-done all of them and they are better than ever. He is currently working on a documentary for the country bear jamboree. All of the DVDs give a history of the attractions, then at the end, there is a full length ride through the attraction. It is the next best thing to Pyschdocs proposed "yesterland". I hope you enjoy them, if you decide to partake.

all my best to everyone

Brian Sommer

TheManator
05-29-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by danyoung
Hey, wait a second - what's wrong with Captain EO? It was always one of my favorites, MUCH better than HISTA. Mr. Jackson's bad behavior notwithstanding, I'd LOVE to see it come back in some form. I recorded the broadcast of Eo that MTV did a few years back, but it's just not the same without the theater-shaking low end on the explosions, the blinking green light and smoke when they "find the beacon", or of course the ground breaking 3D. I MISS EO!!!!

First time I saw EO was at EuroDisneyland...and god did it scare the hell out of me. I was like 7 or 8 at the time.

California Aggie
05-29-2003, 10:47 PM
The problem of a real life Yesterland is that it wouldn't have the feel or charm of the real Disneyland. Attractions wouldn't be located in the same fashion, they wouldn't have the same kind of nostalgic appeal because they are recreations instead of restorations. The park would almost certainly lack the energy that Disneyland has. What Disneyland should do is bring back some of the old attractions (like what they are doing with Subs maybe) or build better forms of them. I really do think they could make a killer of an attraction if they "re-imagineered" the flying saucers.