PDA

View Full Version : wait list at BLT and Saratoga Springs question....

Pages : [1] 2

DisneyFunFamily4
05-08-2011, 02:37 PM
We were just down at WDW last week and we took the plunge, we are now DVC members w/ BLT as our home resort! We are so excited, the resort is just beautiful.

Anyway, I called today to check availability at BLT in Oct (I know, I know, it's food and wine and MNSSHP time) so of course it was not available for any of the weekends we wanted.

The DVC guide told us that most of the time the wait lists do come through, does anyone have any experience with this? we are looking at staying 4-5 nights. I'm worried since its such a busy time.

I am thinking I will book SSR (only thing available) and wait list BLT. Have any of you stayed at SSR and what are your thoughts on it? we were over there in Dec at the DVC preview center and it seems so large and spread out. Is there a better location/view to request?

Thanks in advance! :)

fairestoneofall
05-08-2011, 02:41 PM
I don't have experience wait listing there, but I have had success wait listing at VGC. Good luck! Were your points already in the system? I'm going to call and try to get our January ressie changed from AKV to BLT.

DisneyFunFamily4
05-08-2011, 04:07 PM
Thanks Fairest, yes our points were already in the system today when I called to check. I think I'll try and call again tomorrow if I have time and check some more dates.

GusMan
05-08-2011, 06:39 PM
Congrats on your purchase and Welcome Home!! :)

Here is my take... book where you can get a room at the first available opportunity. When you hit the 7month mark, ask about changing your reservation and waitlist if you really want to give it a shot. Its better to have something, than wait and have nothing.

So, in your case, get SSR now and waitlist for BLT, since you are within that 7 month window. However... we are also going in October and tried to switch to BLT. The guide we talked to was funny and said "Not even a member of the Soprano's can get in there at this time..." :)

90% of our wait-lists have come through. The sooner you waitlist, the better.

DisneyFunFamily4
05-08-2011, 06:54 PM
Thanks GusMan! I think I'll call tomorrow and book SSR and wait list BLT, I'm 1/2 tempted to wait list WL and see if we get in there instead but I really want to stay at BLT. I could try for November and see what I can get that week too.

GusMan
05-09-2011, 04:47 AM
You are welcome. :)
BLT is still really new, so its demand is high. Chances will be way better if you book right at the 11 month mark since it is your home resort. We waitlisted at VWL before and got it with no issues - and it was well worth it.

At the same time, SSR is our home resort and we like it. Its a little more spread out than other DVC resorts, but there is still a lot to do. Bus service was always decent, and the walk to DTD was very convenient. We typically stay at the Congress Park section.

When are you going in October?

fairestoneofall
05-09-2011, 05:25 AM
DFF4- I just got off of the phone with member services and I had to wait list both BLT for January (race week) and VGC for my anniversary this month. I don't have high hopes of VGC coming through since it's only 17 days away. I'm crossing my fingers though that BLT comes through. It will be so convenient to have the monorail right there since I'll be traveling alone with the boys.

GusMan
05-09-2011, 06:52 AM
There are a couple things to consider, though, when it comes to waitlisting...
Many people do get their waitlist choices at the WDW DVC Resorts - and the sooner they get on the list, the better. To add to that, you have to consider the size of the resort you are waitlisting for. The larger the resort, the more likely you will get what you want. That is something to consider when contemplating a trip during more popular times or when there are special events. Combine / consider both variables, and your chances get even better.

fairestoneofall
05-09-2011, 09:10 AM
I have, and I have a reservation at Kidani, but I'd rather be at BLT and have the monorail right there since I'll be alone with a four and five year old

Toocherie
05-09-2011, 01:55 PM
DFF4: SSR is also my Florida home and I love it! I know it looks spread out, but the bus stops are very convenient and it's really not all that long from any of the parks. It's also a beautiful place just to wander!

Toocherie
05-09-2011, 01:56 PM
Oh and congrats on your DVC membership!

DisneyFunFamily4
05-09-2011, 03:03 PM
Thanks toocherie! And thanks everyone for your advise.

I called today and was able to get a lake view at BLT in october for 5 nights over columbus day weekend since it was our first booking w/ in 30 days of our initial purchase. We are so excited.

How are the pools at SSR? We may need a quick trip down this summer. I know it's hot and humid but it's hot and humid here too, so what the heck right? :)

3Princesses1Prince
05-09-2011, 03:06 PM

I called today and was able to get a lake view at BLT in october for 5 nights over columbus day weekend since it was our first booking w/ in 30 days of our initial purchase. We are so excited.

How are the pools at SSR? We may need a quick trip down this summer. I know it's hot and humid but it's hot and humid here too, so what the heck right? :)

Another victim of the Disney snowball.......

fairestoneofall
05-09-2011, 05:24 PM
Another victim of the Disney snowball.......
Explain please. What is the Disney snowball?

GusMan
05-09-2011, 07:48 PM
The definition varies, but it usually happens when you start planning a future trip before you take your upcoming trip. Or when you plan your next trip during your current trip. Perfect example, before our March trip, we already had our October trip reserved as well as our June '12 DCL trip set up. Yea, its a snowball effect.

SSR Pools - loved the quiet pool near Congress Park.

...since it was our first booking w/ in 30 days of our initial purchase. We are so excited.
Hmmm... that seems like an interesting option that I have never heard of before. Though, and this is not directed at you personally, I am wondering how many people have tried getting those dates but have been turned down because of availability.

fairestoneofall
05-10-2011, 05:08 AM
Got it. I guess I'm guilty then since I had another reservation at AKV before my trip last week.

I wasn't aware of the 30 day thing either, it's very interesting.

3Princesses1Prince
05-10-2011, 07:42 AM

Its like when you purchase APs because you head to Disney every year and you decide to plan on going on next years vacation a week or 2 earlier so you can get 2 vacations in within the AP year, but then say "well we can take a short trip to see the christmas stuff, and maybe a Halloween party, oooh maybe a kid free trip for our anniversary....."

Toocherie
05-10-2011, 09:35 AM
Hmmm... that seems like an interesting option that I have never heard of before. Though, and this is not directed at you personally, I am wondering how many people have tried getting those dates but have been turned down because of availability.

Gus: when I first bought what my guide indicated was that there is "fluff" in the system to allow them to do this kind of marketing thing. Probably what DFF4 got was one of the villas that are still in the developer-owned category (rather than the ones that have been released for point reservations generally). I believe what they do is transfer that particular unit to inventory specifically to allow the new DVC member to book it. Otherwise, the villa would have been in the CRO system and DVC members booking on points would never have been able to get to it anyway.

I know that once I had a glitch in the reservation making process (that was MS' fault) and they were suddenly able to find "availability" where previously there had been none!

Toocherie
05-10-2011, 09:37 AM
see, when I think of "Disney snowball" I think (1) you go to the park, (2) then you plan another vacation there, (3) you then plan a vacation staying on-site (several times) and you buy APs, (4) then you become a DVC member and you pretty much go to Disney for the rest of your life!

DisneyFunFamily4
05-10-2011, 10:43 AM
Gus: when I first bought what my guide indicated was that there is "fluff" in the system to allow them to do this kind of marketing thing. Probably what DFF4 got was one of the villas that are still in the developer-owned category (rather than the ones that have been released for point reservations generally). I believe what they do is transfer that particular unit to inventory specifically to allow the new DVC member to book it. Otherwise, the villa would have been in the CRO system and DVC members booking on points would never have been able to get to it anyway.

I know that once I had a glitch in the reservation making process (that was MS' fault) and they were suddenly able to find "availability" where previously there had been none!Yes, this is exactly it! Our DVC guide told us that they keep about 10% of the rooms for cash reservations and they are able to pull from this inventory for new members who have never booked and it has to be with in the first 30 days of purchase.

see, when I think of "Disney snowball" I think (1) you go to the park, (2) then you plan another vacation there, (3) you then plan a vacation staying on-site (several times) and you buy APs, (4) then you become a DVC member and you pretty much go to Disney for the rest of your life!Love your explanation! and yay, I finally got to step 4. ;)

fairestoneofall
05-10-2011, 05:27 PM
Maybe I should try to play that card for BLT for my Jan stay. I'm not a new DVC member, but new BLT owner.

DisneyFunFamily4
05-10-2011, 05:42 PM
Maybe I should try to play that card for BLT for my Jan stay. I'm not a new DVC member, but new BLT owner.

He specifically said have you EVER booked any DVC ressie before?. THe first CM I talked to didn't know what I was talking about when I said it was our first booking w/ in 30 days of our initial purchase, the 2nd one I talked to did. But it cant hurt to try, you could ask Jason about it too.

fairestoneofall
05-10-2011, 08:07 PM
He specifically said have you EVER booked any DVC ressie before?. THe first CM I talked to didn't know what I was talking about when I said it was our first booking w/ in 30 days of our initial purchase, the 2nd one I talked to did. But it cant hurt to try, you could ask Jason about it too.

Hmm, that's interesting. I'll email Jason. I guess it was never an issue when we purchased because we immediately booked and our request was available.

mom22gls
05-11-2011, 09:44 AM

There are multiple pools at SSR. The big themed pool is near the Springs section-it's right by the main buildings-spa, community center, lobby, gift shop, etc. are all in that area. There are several "quiet" pools, which are great for a dip, and would be closer to your villa. There is also going to be a new big pool in the Paddock section, opening this summer-the expected date is after our June trip. There are pluses and minuses to most areas-the Springs is closest to the above-mentioned amenities, but it's also the last stop in the park bus route, so buses might be full in the morning, before they get to your stop. Congress Park is closer to the walking path to Downtown Disney. To get to the main pool, etc, if you don't want to walk, all you have to do is go to the nearest bus stop, and grab the next park bus that comes along-doesn't matter which park. The last resort stop will be the Springs, right by the big pool. The Downtown Disney bus makes the opposite loop, stopping at the Springs first. Last summer we stayed at the Treehouses, which appears to be way "out there"-they till you to take the internal bus which will take you to the Springs, to transfer to a park bus. We quickly realized that there is actually a little walking path from the Treehouse area, that goes right to the Grandstand, the first stop in the loop. It was much faster to just walk to the Grandstand stop, rather than switch buses. At the Grandstand there was often a bus going to the Treehouses. My point is, there are no "great" or "terrible" locations, and, while the place has more of a big resort feel than a hotel feel, it's not exactly like being in the middle of nowhere-you are right near Downtown Disney, and can take a boat there, which is fun.

DisneyFunFamily4
05-30-2011, 06:18 PM
I booked two nights at SSR over Thanksgiving weekend. I have the other two nights waitlisted. We also have a waitlist for the whole 4 nights at the villas at WL but I dont have much hope that one will clear, i'd love it if it did, we LOVED staying at WL last December. I am keeping my fingers crossed that something will clear! I've been looking at SSR reviews and pics. I am really looking forward to staying there, and I can get up and do some Black Friday shopping at DTD! LOL!

Now I have a question, i need to bank points before the end of July. our waitlist has not cleared I'm going to bank what we have and then when and if it clears they would just borrow points from next year right? And they pull from the banked inventory first when you make reservations? I just wanted to make sure I was clear on this. It's all a little confusing a first! Should I make a back up plan for our other two nights just incase we cant get in?