PDA

View Full Version : Goofy's Sky School Delayed?

IllusionOfLife
05-05-2011, 10:03 AM
So a new post on the Disney Parks Blog this morning says that the "Paradise Pier Transformation" will be completed by July 1st of this year. In the article, though it mentions that the aforementioned date is when Goofy's Sky School will open, rather than late May as was previously reported.

Does anyone know any more about this? I was looking forward to seeing the changes made to that attraction during our trip in June and it will be a bummer if it's not open yet.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/05/paradise-pier-transformation-to-be-complete-july-1/

wwomant
05-05-2011, 07:05 PM
Interesting, in that same article it says that Soundsational is now opening on June 3, instead of the previously mentioned May 27.

wwomant
05-06-2011, 07:50 AM
Interesting, in that same article it says that Soundsational is now opening on June 3, instead of the previously mentioned May 27.

I do see though, on Disneyland's online calendar that Soundsational is scheduled daily starting on May 26.

houseofmouse
05-06-2011, 08:32 AM
Hmm... Another website is reporting Sky School will open with the eateries. July 1st. Maybe all that rain really messed up construction.

IllusionOfLife
05-06-2011, 09:59 AM
Hmm... Another website is reporting Sky School will open with the eateries. July 1st. Maybe all that rain really messed up construction.

Yeah, a Disney Parks Blog post from later that day said the same thing… this is really a bummer, I was looking forward to all of this :/

wolfepackmom
05-13-2011, 03:10 PM
I just got a "May Disney "HELLO"" email from Disney Destinations, and it lists June 3 for Goofy's Sky School to open. Which would be cool because we'll be there 6/19. Anyone else see anything that puts it back on track for early June?

shna
05-13-2011, 04:02 PM
On the Disneyland site, the last day it's listed as closed for refurbishment is May 24th... which could very well mean nothing except that they haven't updated the calendar in a while.

IllusionOfLife
05-13-2011, 04:12 PM
Sounds like a classic case of the right hand not knowing what the left is doing. In this case, I just hope whichever hand says "it'll be open when you go in June" is the right one.

bumblebeeonarose
05-28-2011, 08:58 PM
So I was curious what the deal is with Goofy's coaster. I've ridden Mullholand and Dino Spin, and they really are not my favorite. But, I LOVE Goofy, so I was hoping to check out his "new" ride when we visit in June.

From this week's Disneyland Update "Mulholland Madness – closed through May 24, 2011 for conversion to Goofy's Sky School."

I haven't heard anyone talk about riding Goofy's coaster yet, so I'm wondering if it did open. I did a quick search and found a previous post where people were discussing whether or not it was delayed. Some said it wouldn't open until July with the shops, others said June 3 with everything else. In any case, Disney and MP websites show that it should have opened this week.

So is it open? If it is, did anyone ride it yet?
Is there an ETA on the opening? Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

olegc
05-28-2011, 09:40 PM
the last report was JUly 1st - along with the food restaurants in the area - BUT - who knows if they get ahead of schedule. If you've ridden Mullholand then this is no different - because it isn't. It's just a retheming - paint and new signs and some new looks, but the track and the base vehicles are exactly the same.

IllusionOfLife
05-28-2011, 10:37 PM
I'm not sure how reliable this is, but my Dad has an app on his Android phone that lists wait times at the Parks and on Friday it was showing that it was open. Can anyone confirm if this was true and if so, was it just a soft opening or is it open for good?

DizneyMommy
05-29-2011, 07:23 AM
We rode jumping selfish last week and from what I saw i would be surprised if it opens ON schedule, much less AHEAD. The area behind the wall is totally torn up, a huge mess. No where near done. The restaurant looks even worse.

DizneyMommy
05-29-2011, 07:25 AM
Sorry... Jumpin Jellyfish that is. If you ride it in a seat facing goofy's you can get a clear view over he construction wall.

bumblebeeonarose
05-29-2011, 08:17 AM
Yeah, I know there is no difference to the physical ride. I just like Goofy, so I figured if it was open I'd have to give it a ride. Too bad they didn't make the May 25 opening day. Perhaps they decided they would prefer to open the entire area at once. Actually, it makes sense from a marketing stand point. I mean they already have Star Tours and Little Mermaid opening in June, and the new parade just started. It would have been nice though.

mdscott
06-01-2011, 07:15 PM
Scene from line at Ariel's Undersea Adventure - 6/1/20116145

Madame Liota
06-01-2011, 07:50 PM
So they just painted it and renamed it. What was so wrong with Mulhulland Madness. Its California. What does goofy have to do with california. Sometimes I don't get disney

Bytebear
06-01-2011, 08:07 PM
I do like the theme better, but it's still not a great ride. It's not even a very good version of a Wild Mouse ride. Now if they enclosed it, added a bunch of psychedelic lights and made the cars spin, then I would think it was worth the effort. Oh, and the seats are too small.

Here is a link to a video of a coaster that would be way better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwbkZD8Y1ow&feature=related

Madame Liota
06-01-2011, 08:10 PM
True that would be more fun if the cars spun and got that close to the edge...and u are right seats are wayy small.

MadasaHatter
06-01-2011, 11:42 PM
So they just painted it and renamed it. What was so wrong with Mulhulland Madness. Its California. What does goofy have to do with california. Sometimes I don't get disney

I think they were going with the DISNEY part of DISNEY CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE rather than the CALIFORNIA part. Plus they have refurbed PP to be a more turn of the century sea side theme park like the original CA turn of the century parks. So a roller coaster that has a CAR and FREEWAY theme would be a little strange.

Except have you all noticed they redid the GAMES all EDWARDIAN LIKE but the TATOO signs etc where the store has NOT BEEN CHANGED??? Hope they fix that as it is rather incongruous...of course....I am mad.

IllusionOfLife
06-02-2011, 05:30 AM
Here is a link to a video of a coaster that would be way better.

As a Utah local, I almost choked on my Cheerios at the thought of anything from Lagoon being as good, let alone better than a Disney attraction. Besides, The Spider (the ride you're referencing) isn't technically a Wild Mouse coaster anyway.

As to Madame Liota's question, the idea behind Goofy's Sky School is the same as that of Mickey's Fun Wheel and Silly Symphony Swings, which is trying to save some half-baked off-the-shelf attractions present in the original park by giving them a new, more charmingly Disney theme. If the Imagineers were starting over from scratch with that area, I highly doubt that they would choose to make another Wild Mouse coaster, however, the infrastructure that is there represents a fairly significant investment, and tearing it all out to replace with something completely new would be very expensive. Considering, the whole DCA project is estimated at over a $1 Billion (more than it cost to build the park from the ground up in the first place) building a whole new attraction there is kind of out of the question.

I will say, though, that while the changes made to the Sun Wheel and the Orange Stinger didn't fundamentally change the rides in any way at all, it did make them a lot more charming, and as a result more fun. I expect the same will hold true for Goofy's Sky School. If I had the option between Goofy's Sky School and something entirely new of course I would choose something new, but as I mentioned, that's not going to happen any time in the near future, but for now, Goofy's Sky School looks to be a vast improvement over Mulholland Madness which just felt cheap and lazy (let's just slap some street signs on a wall and call it a day). Besides, that whole Route 66 section of Paradise Pier never made sense anyway, it never felt integrated with the rest of that land, but didn't work on its own as a Route 66 theme, like many things in California Adventure circa 2001 it just felt half-done and lazy.

sjhanksaz
06-02-2011, 05:59 AM
Remember the Orange swing ride that is now Disney Themed?

I like it a whole lot better now.

Jumping Jelley Fish could be rethemed to something Areal

Golden Zepher next?

Goodnplenty
06-02-2011, 06:03 AM
Thanks mdscott for the picture. It's good to see that they are making progress. :D
I completely understand the comments about this being more of a "fair quality" ride. Here at AK we have a wild mouse coaster called Primeval Whirl that I think most of you would prefer. As for my wishes I wouldn't mind if you had our Goofy's Barnstormer coaster. I go on it alot and enjoy the chicken effects and gags in the cue. The coaster itself is low key like your coaster in Toon Town but somehow it just really appeals to me. And you guys couldn't be more right about the seats being too small. I was hoping that they might redesign the cars a little bit to give you more seat space. But I guess they didn't. I'll give it another try when I visit in November to see if I change my mind about it.
GnP

houseofmouse
06-02-2011, 08:40 AM
Aren't they going to totally remove it sometime in the future anyway?? So that at least explains the lower cost redo, instead of new re-designed seats and enclosing it. The coaster video mscott posted looked a lot like Primeval Whirl.