PDA

View Full Version : TOT theming

historymaker217
05-23-2003, 04:29 PM
Hey, whats up ya'll I'm new here to post, yet have been reading what you guys post for a while. Anyways my question deals with the new Tower Of Terror in DCA. See, I'm a HUGE fan of The Twilight Zone and read that at WDW, the TOT there is themed to be like the Twilight Zone, even having some old TZ memorabilia. I was wondering if DCA woud have the same queue or theming that the WDW version has. Please let it be so, with Mr. Sterlings voice and all!!!!

DisneyFan25863
05-23-2003, 04:48 PM
The ride will be different, but I think it will all have the same general idea ;)

rexfarms
05-24-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by DisneyFan25863
The ride will be different, but I think it will all have the same general idea ;)

Or so they say.....

CaliforniaCrazy
05-24-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by historymaker217
Please let it be so, with Mr. Sterlings voice and all!!!!

I hate to nitpick (that's for old people :D ), but It's Rod Serling, not Sterling. I know I'll get beaten for correcting you. :eek:

jerjer2005
05-24-2003, 07:50 PM
The DCA version is suposed to follow the same story line just in a more confined space. one of the key pre-show rooms is being omited from the new DCA version. lets hope imagineers are making it spectacular enough for us not to notice the blatent omission.

DL4EVER
05-24-2003, 08:02 PM
Actually, I believe what you are referring to is the 5th Dimension room, where the elevator goes forward. But I think the reason it is omitted is because it was not originally intended in the first place. I think they wanted it to drop and lift in the same shaft. Of course, they could have just made up that excuse to cover up the facts...

Icy Bacon
05-24-2003, 10:58 PM
I heard the 5th dimension room would be replaced with a better version of the effect, kinda like the rat scene in the DisneySea Indy (it's much more than rats there!)

As for the queue, I'd bet it's just about the same, except for outside the tower since it's oriented differently to the area.

rexfarms
05-24-2003, 11:47 PM
I like the outside of the WDW version, how with the architecture be different here?

Woodpecker Planet
05-25-2003, 10:22 AM
I certainly hope that the traditional dark ride portion (5th demension) is kept here since that's what makes this a Disney ride as opposed to just a standard drop ride. It would be cool if the story was a little diffferent though.

DL4EVER
05-25-2003, 10:58 AM
I know, but picture if you will:D not having the 5th dimension room. You would probably still have the part with the ghosts, but it would be more accurate to what supposedly happened if you dropped in the same shaft. Trust me, if they did indeed took out the 5th dimension room for whatever reason, they will make up for it. This should be a great ride when it is finished, pitty I won't get to ride it for quite a while. Not to mention, I feel that is would be good for DLR to get something mostly original for a change. The only thing that should be the same about the two TOT is the basic story and maybe the queue and some parts of the ride itself. I think personally that this version will be much better than the Florida one(which I have ridden).

rexfarms
05-25-2003, 12:35 PM
Why do you think it will be better?

DL4EVER
05-25-2003, 01:16 PM
Because, I think that although the 5th Dimension room was a cool effect, I think it would be even better if there was no 5th Dimension room in the DCA version, not only so we could see what they do wthout it and because dropping in the same shaft would be cool. Not to mention, the show effects in each shaft are supposed to be different. I just think that this ride will be unique and a whole lot of fun. Even though, as I said earlier, the 5th dimension room is cool, I feel that the ride will be fine without it and the rest of the ride will make it more than "just another dark ride". Heck, I'm picturing the Florida one without the 5th Dimension room and having a sudden flash and the sound of lightning striking and the cable snapping after the hallway with the ghosts, then suddenly zooming back up with the doors open and drop again and then again for two or three more times and then the rest of the ride would be the same from there. I think this ride will be great and it will be successful. They actually put a real investment in this ride and I believe they won't let that go to waste.

rexfarms
05-25-2003, 08:02 PM
I see, some would still argue that this missing effect will change the attraction entirely.

DL4EVER
05-25-2003, 11:18 PM
Why is everyone afraid of change? We always adapt, always have, and always will. The 5th Dimension room will be taken out, but people will still ride and enjoy this attraction. Think of it not as a foreshadowing of the doom of this ride, but the start of a new beginning, a whole new ride. All shall be fine, except for the lines for the initial months it is open. Tower of Terror will be the Indianna Jones of DCA, right alongside Soarin'.

All shall be well in the end. Worry not about what the ride is missing. Look at what it will have gained when it is open. Not to mention, we have all been complaining about not getting a mostly original ride at DLR(besides DCA that is, but TOT is in DCA, so forget what I just said), so this version being different will make the attraction unique.

Now I know the 5th Dimension room was ONE of the things that made the original unique in the first place, but the ride will survive and be just as magical and unique without it. I personally loved the 5th Dimension room, but I feel that it was only there to serve the purpose to fix the problem they initially had, which was that they could not figure out a way to get the elevator to go up and drop in the same shaft, so they made two shafts.

It isn't even an elevator in the first place, it is just a ride vehicle that moves itself on and off of a lifting system.

Picture if you will:D , the 5th Dimension room without the theming in it. It is not so important then, is it? Now think of the ride without that now unimportant room. You now have TOT without the 5th Dimension room. That wasn't so painful, now was it.

And knowing Disney and guessing when this is going to open(DCA's second anniversary), they are going to pull out all the stops, so they will indeed have show effects of some sort that will replace the 5th Dimension room. I have heard that they are supposed to have different show effects for each one of the different ride shafts(DCA's will probably have sepperate vehicles, like the one in Florida, I think it is two).

Basically, I think all will be okay in the end and life, as well as the attraction, will go on without the 5th Dimension room.

I am a very articulate and opinionated 14-year-old, aren't I:D :D :D !

rexfarms
05-25-2003, 11:30 PM
I see what your saying, its not going to kill us, but it seems that one missing effect is just showing how much that other parks are getting looked at more then the Disneyland Resort. Poor Disneyland Resort.... :fez:

Lost Boy
05-26-2003, 08:40 AM
I had an interesting conversation with an Imagineer about TOT in Florida and this is what I learned about the 5th dimension room. In the original design and mock-up, the floor, walls and ceiling were covered with warped mirrors. Along with special lighting, projections, and the mirrors, the effect of moving thru this place would have given the impression that you were floating thru the endless vastness of space with no visible bounderies. Since the vehicles are trackless and self driving, the guidence system on board each vehicle uses a system of radio frequency and receiving sensors to guide the car. When they finished the room for real, and gave it a test spin, the mirrors on the ceiling were picking up the signal and bouncing back false information. So they took the mirrors off the cieling and then the walls bounced the signal all over the place, so they took the wall mirrors down. Then the floor did the same thing, so all the mirrors were taken out, and in the rush job to finish before opening, they had no choice but to throw together the stuff that's in there now.

I keep hearing that they have something brand new and more advanced than the one in Florida, but nobody's talking. I just hope the theming of the lobby and library and boiler room is as detailed and impressive in ours. Of course, with the design change from East Coast gothic-style (even tho the Hotel is based loosely on the Hollywood Tower Hotel in California, they look nothing alike), to California Adobe is going to change the entire look.

But it is called "The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror" so the Twilight Zone aspect will have to stay. If so, then the opeing film shown in the library will have to be redone to show the outside of the California Adobe Hotel. I do know one thing. That building is HUGE (taller than the one in Florida). And there are 3 floors uderground that you can't see from the outside, and they are part of the ride. I can hardly wait for this one to open.:fez:

Pomcoach
05-26-2003, 10:32 AM
So when is the big day? When does it open?
Personally, I would like to see the ride a bit different from the WDW version. We've been to WDW about 6 times, but never to DL. Differences in the rides would give me a reason to visit Disneyland in California. I've never been to California at all.
Pomcoach:)

Lost Boy
05-26-2003, 10:46 AM
I believe opening is supposed (suppose being the operative word) in the Spring/Summer of 2004 or 2005. I think it was originally set for 2004 but they may delay it for the Parkwide Celebration of Disneyland's 50th. At this point, who knows for sure about anything at Disneyland. It is changing by the day.:D

DL4EVER
05-29-2003, 11:11 AM
Lost Boy, I am sorry to contradict you since you are a senior member, but I doubt they would hold this back till 2005. I have a feeling they may open it up in time for DCA's second B-Day.

DisneyFan25863
05-29-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by DL4EVER
Lost Boy, I am sorry to contradict you since you are a senior member, but I doubt they would hold this back till 2005. I have a feeling they may open it up in time for DCA's second B-Day.

DCA's second B-Day was last Feburary

swtkissez
05-29-2003, 11:40 AM
LOL

:D :D :D

rexfarms
05-29-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by DisneyFan25863
DCA's second B-Day was last Feburary

SENIOR MEMBERS RULE! ;) ;)

Tref
05-29-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by rexfarms
SENIOR MEMBERS RULE! ;) ;)

ROCK ON SENIOR MEMBERS! YOU RULE!

Freshman imbibe through straws!

jrad32
05-30-2003, 08:02 AM
Not to quibble with a "very articulate and opinionated 14-year-old," but I wouldn't consider the DCA Tower of Terror to be a unique attraction, even if they add some stuff that the WDW version doesn't have.

The basics of the attraction are still going to be the same as Floridas. Don't get me wrong, I'll be happy with a super version of the ride, but it's still an imported attraction. Same would go for the Buzz Lightyear rumor in TL.

A unique attraction to me is something that can only be found in DL or DCA, such as the Matterhorn. Or in AK's case the new Yeti Mountain train ride deal.

DL4EVER
06-01-2003, 04:26 PM
I mean it will be different, but I think it will have things that are indeed unique to just that one, until the Tokyo one comes along. I meant third b-day :D :D :D .