PDA

View Full Version : Dining at DLR...what needs to change

wonderful
05-22-2003, 10:36 PM
Um, excuse me, but this is sort of a "vent" I've been working up and just found the time to write it out... and wondering if anyone agrees...
I feel for the average Guest in the parks when it comes to food. The selections in BOTH parks have dwindled considerably and there seems to be no end in sight...
Now, before I go for my suggestions (you know, in case my boss, Michael, ever reads this), I would like to offer that "not all is abyssmal in DLR"-- Taste Pilot's Grill, Rancho Del Zocalo, Plaza Inn, Ariel's Grotto, and Wine Country Tratoria all offer food I don't think Walt (or Lillian) will "roll over in their graves" about...
But that's a pretty short list.
I would like to pose a few questions: Why... oh WHY is there no character dining in Toontown???
Why have the Plaza Pavillion and Aladdin's Oasis been so bastardized and... better question... what happened to their food???
Why is Hollywood Picture's Backlot only nourishment to offer Guests a glorified hot dog stand?
Um, anyone remember The Lucky Fortune Cookery?
The answer to most of these questions, as most Foods folks might tell you, is that there simply "was no demand for these types of venues"... yeah, I buy that.
And, well, I sort of DO... most Guests load up on the eighteen million churros, turkey legs, and popcorn carts before they ever get to a restaraunt...
So, I say kill as many ODV carts as possible... and "theme" (yes, it's a wonderful concept) the rest so they don't look so awful...
Open up dining locations based on what guests have asked for (like, oh I don't know, a PRINCESS dining experience!). Some things don't take rocket science... or a "survey" to figure out it will make moola...
And, this is just my thing, add as many "character dining" experiences as possible... it's the perfect venue for "meeting characters" rather than standing in the blazing sun to take a picture only to be told "Mickey will be right back, but, look, here's Rafiki!"
Oh, and before I end this, I say turn Carnation Gardens into the best darn outdoor cafe around... or bring back the ice cream!
Well, what do you all think? What needs to (or "should" anyway) change in the DLR dining experience?

MammaSilva
05-22-2003, 10:45 PM
I think that the problem is the folks in charge.. haven't figured out that they can't have it all.. they want us to spend that odd 20 bucks on churros and drinks and then still want to spend 100 bucks for a family of 4 to have a character meal... which a lot of us do.....but the choices for the character meals IN the parks are so limited, Disneyland.. you have breakfast with the 100 acre wood crew... which if your kids love Pooh.. ok... but back in the day not so long ago.. you never "knew" who was going to show up at that breakfast, we have wonderful pictures of Mary Poppins, and Hook and Peter Pan and Smee and even Donald... yes we do that breakfast every trip :)

I say print out your post and mail it to every person in power in foods in the company.. I love all your ideas!

Morrigoon
05-22-2003, 11:25 PM
The problem is that there is no "mid range". You can either pay through the nose (Plaza Inn, Blue Bayou) or have a burger. Oh, or pizza, whoopdee.

Trattoria is the only thing that comes to my mind as being a mid range dining experience, but their menu is SO limited, that even big fans like myself can only eat there every so often. Downtown Disney is suffering this the most. What they need is a Jason's Deli or some other non-burger, low-cost place to dine.

Agreed, there needs to be princess dining - HELLO!

As for Plaza Gardens, it's a great place to dance, but dancers get thirsty. The old burger/ice cream location they had there was awesome, but it's gone now. In its place, they ought to build a huge, long, old-fashioned soda fountain with spinny stools and a brass footrail. It also needs GOOD bands there more often, not just Saturdays. Let them do the Magic Music Days stuff there during the day, but every night ought to see a good dance band in there. Ever see the "Disneyland at Night" episode of WWOD? That's how alive the place ought to feel. I'd understand not putting in a full band nightly, but at least get the quartet version of Pete Jacobs Wartime Radio Review in there, or some other good jazz quartet to jam there.

Oh yeah, dining.... we need more low-cost, non-burger and pizza- options.

Nigel2
05-22-2003, 11:28 PM
Well I heard that the reason they shut down Aladdin's Oasis to begin with was that it didn't make much money, if it made any. It was closed for a few years.

PsychDoc
05-23-2003, 08:19 AM
Maybe it's just my nostolgia, but I have vivid movies in my head of eating a jucy, warm, spaceburger with my family. I was always in awe because I thought my dad had timed it just right that as we were about to eat, a "cool" Disney band would come out of the ground [the rising space stage that is now Buzz Lightyear area]. This was our tradition, to eat lunch while my aunt stood in line for the Matterhorn. Maybe it's just because I was a kid and I was in the best place in the world, I don't know. However, I just know that when my sister and 9 year old went to DL last Easter, I literally had to hold back the vomit that was erupting in my throat [sorry about the visual guys, but it was that distugting]. So, is it me? Is it just my childhood dreams? Or does the food suck that bad?

chelbell
05-23-2003, 08:44 AM
I MISS BIG THUNDER RANCH BBQ!!! I say bring that back.....it was one of our traditions!! Every time we walk by there now, it's just empty and lonely looking. Why just have it sitting there with nothing going on? Do they ever use that area anymore, or is it just sitting there, teasing us as we walk by?:confused:

Bill Catherall
05-23-2003, 09:00 AM
chelbell - I agree. It was my favorite place, not only for the food (which was awesome) but for the wonderful atmosphere and theme. Now it's just an empty spot teasing me.

I also miss the Tahitian Terrace. Another fun and tasty meal/show.

I wish the Golden Horseshoe would bring back the Review and serve better food. That was always my lunchtime favorite.

I also wish that ALL restaurants were open every day, all day. Closed doors and empty tables look really bad. Plus giving people the option of sitting down and having a small between-meal snack instead of using ODV carts helps to clear up the congested sidewalks. It's also very frustrating to have such a limited selection on some days.

PsychDoc
05-23-2003, 09:01 AM
Yes, totally, I agree...bring back the BBQ. It was so cool. That was my husband's favorite place to eat. He'd stand in line for me and get me a salad while rode Big Thunder. By the time I walked off the ride, my food would be waiting for me. What a good hubby I have. The CM say that the tex/mex restaurant has "similar" food to the BBQ. I don't think so. Becuase it wasn't just the food, just the atmosphere was so cool. Sitting outside in the ranch style picnic area. I loved it. It is such a waste of space too. I don't get it. Why did they close it down anyway? There was always a line to get in.

smd4
05-23-2003, 11:27 AM
When I had a AP, I would sometimes go solo to DL just to eat at the Barbeque. Gawsh, that food was good. I loved wacthing the cooks load up my plate right from the grill. And drinking my lemonade from a mason jar glass. And lathering up my corn cob with butter.

I haven't really found a bareque place anywhere else that had such good food. The Fireman's BBQ at Knotts comes close.

DivaPrincess
05-23-2003, 01:06 PM
Ok, we are CHEAP Disneylanders. We bring our own snacks, water and try to eat just 1 meal a day on property. Our new favorite off property is Boston Market. Filling food for a good price. Anyway, we just hate to spend a lot of money on food that you can get for a 1/3 of the price elsewhere. So, we really like that DCA has at least a few more food options - the Award Weiners and Dips, Strips and Chips, Chinese and so on, but I guarantee, we'd bite the bullet and fork it out to bring our 3 year old to lunch with the princesses. I think the marketing geniuses at Disney are really missing the boat with their lack of Princess marketing in Disneyland. Sure, they have the store and t-shirts and face characters, but they could sure do more. How about a Princess show (add adventurers for the guys) or Princess Dining? How about a dining experience where they dress up the little girls who come like princesses as well?

How about a beef jerky shop as you get off Splash Mountain? (that's an old idea of my Father in laws, but Disney doesn't hire outside vendors anymore)

merlinjones
05-23-2003, 01:38 PM
I miss The Big Thunder BBQ, Tahitian Terrace, Plaza Pavillion and Captain Hook's Tuna Boat.

The latest BBQ food at Zocalo is too sugary. Sugar in the sauce, sugar in the cornbread, sugar ON the cornbread... same with that Pizza in Tomorrowland. These need rethinking (especially for the price).

More than a Spoonful of Sugar makes the medicine hard to get down...

Pat-n-Eil
05-23-2003, 02:25 PM
I think Blue Bayou should offer the Monte Cristo sandwich at dinner time too (for the same price as lunch)..

whiles
05-23-2003, 02:28 PM
Great Topic,

First Off Good old Mike has no clue about theme parks! Waht the latest movie out and hows the disney channels doing that's another issue.

The fact is disnelyland has been run with squeezing every dollar they can out of visitors. Now there's no problem with that except for th dwindling choices. A couple of months of missed profit targets and it's "Off with there heads"

The scope has changed, you used to look at the entire operation, what did we make today at the resort?

Now it is specialized, Plaza inn not doing well ? Shut it down. Carnation cafe! let's just keep it open for a couple of hours each day, that's enough.

Not everything you offer at a theme park can generate a 30% profit!

I agree that character Dining is a great idea, also lets talk about quality of food. We all know California does not measure up with WDW. We need to change that, Pricing is another issue, when you price out 50% of your park visitors they are going to eat snacks from carts all day instead of meals.

Now here's the real problem. he profit lines are simply higher on Cart items (Soda's pop corn, churros, turkey legs, etc.) that nathing offered at the resturants. Until managment changes there focus to Family dining as a priority, you better be prepared to fork over big bucks at the Hotels to enjoy group dining with characters.

At 30.00 bucks a person for Buffet at Goofy's kitchen that has to be considered a rare treat for many families. we need areas in the parks where families on a budget can experience something like goofy's kitchen more regularly.

thanks,
whiles

Tref
05-23-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by chelbell
I MISS BIG THUNDER RANCH BBQ!!! I say bring that back.....it was one of our traditions!! Every time we walk by there now, it's just empty and lonely looking. Why just have it sitting there with nothing going on? Do they ever use that area anymore, or is it just sitting there, teasing us as we walk by?:confused:

I always enjoyed eating there. The best time was the last, just before, I assume, it closed. While we were eating, Billy Hill and the Hillbillies showed up and did (an impromptu?) show of almost entirely new material! Some jokes worked, some didn't, but I wouldn't have traded the experience for anything else that day. It was a lot of fun and easily worth the admission fee for park just on its own.

MsDisney
05-23-2003, 08:30 PM
I wish the Golden Horseshoe would bring back the Review and serve better food. That was always my lunchtime favorite.

Oh yeah! Bufallo chili! I used to LOVE that!

treelofan
05-23-2003, 08:46 PM
you know what needs to change is club 33 that place shouldn't be just for club members i think they should lower the membership way down so, us low income people can get in. i think it's unfair. & i think princess dining would be cool & also a peter pan & friends dining in fantasyland would be cool.

HBTiggerFan
05-23-2003, 09:06 PM
The problem with the CA parks is that there are off property dining options within a 3 minute walk. There are even better ones within a 5 minute drive.

The DLR is doing very little to keep families on-site with their dining options. Add to that the high amount of locals and AP holders who will eat before they come or go off property to eat and you have the DLR restaurants making very little profit.

DLR needs to offer

1) Better "cheaper food". By that I mean increase the quality of the food at the Tomorroland Terrace and the burger place in Fantasyland (I forget what its called).

2) Healthy selections. Salads that aren't $10-$15 before the drink. Veggie and turkey/chicken burgers.

3) Offer a larger selection of kids meals. There are kids who like things other than mac and cheese, pj&j and chicken nuggets.

4) A low to mid priced dining option in DTD. Catal, Naples, Hooks, Ralph Brennans are all on the expensive end. Wetzles is the only one on the less expnsive end, unless you count the AMC which has (wisely IMO) began to offer take out.

Basically DLR needs to be in active competition with the off site food choices. They can charge a bit more then off site restaurants, but the quality and variety needs to improve significantly or people are going to continue to visit the lower priced off site restuants and the locals will eat before they get to the Resort.

HBTiggerFan
05-23-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by treelofan
you know what needs to change is club 33 that place shouldn't be just for club members i think they should lower the membership way down so, us low income people can get in. i think it's unfair. & i think princess dining would be cool & also a peter pan & friends dining in fantasyland would be cool.

Life isn't fair.

Club 33 has always been an exclusive ritzy dining option. You have to either know someone or be a member to get to eat there. It was not built with the intentions of catering to the everyday guests. It was built as a place for Walt to entertain dignitaries and other VIPs. Thats the way it has always been and thats the way it should always remain*. And that is totally fair.

*I am not a memeber nor do I know any. I haven't been there yet. I can always hope and dream :)

HBTiggerFan
05-23-2003, 09:14 PM

kcdisney
06-21-2003, 09:41 PM
We just got back from four days at Disneyland and California Adventure. Had a great time....but the food for young toddlers (who are usually very picky and particular) left a lot to be desired. Every time we turned around the only choices for a toddler were the kids "Mouskemeals" which left one of two choices....
1) Chicken nuggets shaped like Mickey Mouse
or
2) Corn dog nuggets
BOTH WITH THE CHOICE OF FRIES....OR FRIES.

Either of which our little toddler will rarely eat.
EVERY SINGLE FAST FOOD eatery offered the SAME choices.
Couldn't the Disney folks in charge of food get a "little" creative?????? The Disney Imaginears can dream up great rides...but they are clueless when it comes to feeding small children. Maybe a grilled cheese, macaroni and cheese, fruit, etc.?
Even the Blue Bayou offered pretty much the same choices.
We basically had to keep bribing our child to eat the chicken nuggets.

However, at California Adventure we did find a food stand (near the Bugs Life Land) where a PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY SANDWICH was offered....what a relief that was!!! It seems they are able to offer a HUGE variety of foods at California Adventure...even for adults.
But the same-old...same-old (hot dogs, hamburgers, pizza,etc) choices just across the way at Disneyland. Eating at California Adventure was a much more pleasant experience. Choices from BBQ, Mexican, Asian, etc. Why can't the two parks "get it together".

Even though...the "creative" lesser$$$ eateries at California Adventure had no choices for toddlers or small children. I really think each and every eatery in both parks should offer much more for little kids. They just really don't seem to go out of their way for the parents and little kids. This would also make the "Moms and Dads" much happier since they won't have to search all ends of the park to feed their child something they will eat!!!!