PDA

View Full Version : My first trip to Disneyland

tracilicious
05-21-2003, 11:28 PM
ok, i've been reading over some of the messages on this board about tomorrowland and changes that are coming to d-land, and it makes me think about my first trip to the big D. it was november of 1999. i was 19 and had been dreaming of going to disneyland my entire life. now my boyfriends family was finally going and invited me along! i remember walking under the stone arch for the first time and smelling main street. i was completely overwhelmed by what i knew must be the most magical place on earth! we went straight to splash (still my favorite). that was when the water level was just a bit lower and the you could still cuddle close to someone you love on the logs. it was fabulous! indi was closed that week, but having never been on it i didn't know what i was missing. rocket rods were running and boy were they great! i still miss those things. i am an ap now, and have been to disneyland more times in one year than i ever thought i would be able to go in my life. i see people talking about what should be changed and i think about that first trip. if every single detail in disneyland stayed the same as it was for that first trip, i would still go every year. so lets not change too much. i haven't been on the subs, but i'm hoping that they come back exactly the same as they were when they left. and if space mountain stays that horrible color, then i will be happy so long as they get the music working. when i go to d-land next week then i won't be thinking about what they should add and where. or even about what trash cans need to be repainted. i know now that disneyland isn't the happiest place on earth (i'd choose snuggling in bed with my 12 week old son and husband any day), but i'm going to walk right up to that bronze statue of the man and the mouse and say, "thanks guys! this place is pretty darn good!" so you can put in your space ranger spin or what-not, but let's not forget why the old stuff is there in the first place.

~<:) traci

Disney Boy
05-22-2003, 09:53 AM
Thank you. And congrads on the new addition to the family. Be sure to bring him up with Disney Films and Disneyland. You can't go wrong with the classics.

tracilicious
05-22-2003, 10:22 AM
thanks! we are taking him on his first d-land trip on june 1st! we named him indiana (not after indiana jones) and we will always tell him that he is the only kid with his own ride!

if anyone else has a story of what made their first at disneyland special, i would love to see it here. it could be first trip, first time on a great ride (i got to drive my first indi ride and it was spectacular!), first trip with a loved one, etc.

i love disney stories!

BrerFox
05-22-2003, 10:38 AM
Well they very well keep everything the same. But I'm sure you'll love it for just what it is! I'm sad I never got to go on the rocketrods:( The line was 2 hours long! There wasd no way I would ever wait that long when there is so much more for me to see!!

Just enjoy youself (with your family...I know how easy it is to get lost by yourself:rolleyes: .)
and HAVE FUN!!!:fez: :fez:

Pat-n-Eil
05-22-2003, 12:10 PM
My folks took me to Disneyland as an 8 year old circa 1972. Aside from a few pictures, I didn't really remember a whole lot.

When I was 18, (1982) Disneyland was part of my Graduation Trip along with Knotts Berry Farm, Catalina, Magic Mountain, etc. Because we only got Disneyland at night and it was crowded and I was "too cool" for those "kiddie rides" at Disneyland, I didn't really catch the Disneyland fever then either.

In 1996, my son was 6 and my daughter was 10. My wife and I decided to go to Disneyland, and it was then, when we saw it through the eyes of our kids (who've have grown up with the Disney channel & modern classics.. unlike my childhood with 3 stations and an antenna). We caught the fever, did and saw everything .. but my son was still a little bit wary of the rides (and couldn't even ride on some) and my daughter got sick from the sun.. but..

We've gone again every year. We've learned to protect ourselves and how to "do" the parks.. but when my was old enough to enjoy all of the rides, we've had a fantastic magical time ever since.. This year, we're going to try the Holiday version of Disneyland for the first time and we are all very excited!

tracilicious
05-23-2003, 11:07 AM
disney during the holidays is great! the only time of year when you can get caramel apple cider!

i just thought of another memorable first. the first time i walked into animation studios in dca and saw all those big screens playing "a dream is a wish your heart makes" (my favorite song from any movie) i almost cried. it was so beautiful. i still go and sit in there for at least half an hour each visit.

~<:) tracilicious

DivaPrincess
05-23-2003, 01:13 PM
Everytime people start complaining about how Disneyland is in such disrepair, I just want to tell them to go to Magic Mountain. That place is like on giant trash can. Graffiti on the coasters, trash everywhere. We had a great time on some of the rides, but I doubt we'll return for a really long time. We bought AP's to Disneyland, even though we live in Las Vegas. Disneyland is all about the experience. It's about the little things, the rides that are detailed and classic and fairytale. It's about the castle and the parades and the music and the smells. It's why so many people post on this board - by reading about the park while your away, your memories are stirred and you catch a glimpse of the magic, even as you go through your real life. Disneyland is all about the magic, it's a world away from the cares of life.

blusilva
05-23-2003, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by tracilicious
thanks! we are taking him on his first d-land trip on june 1st! we named him indiana (not after indiana jones) and we will always tell him that he is the only kid with his own ride!

Be sure to ride the train between New Orleans Square and Fantasyland. Back around the bend behind Big Thunder Trail, keep an eye out for the doghouse. The name painted on it is "Indy"! Snap a picture, so in case it's gone when he's older, you will have a reminder.

I would highly suggest (once he's old enough to enjoy it) going on the Mark Twain and/or the Columbia. When I was little, those were the biggest, most beautiful ships I ever sailed on.

I don't think it was my first Dland trip, but I can tell you one of the best memories I have is of being on Dumbo with my father. He died when I was 5, so needless to say, I'm glad I have that memory.

tracilicious
05-24-2003, 11:02 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by blusilva
[B]Be sure to ride the train between New Orleans Square and Fantasyland. Back around the bend behind Big Thunder Trail, keep an eye out for the doghouse. The name painted on it is "Indy"! Snap a picture, so in case it's gone when he's older, you will have a reminder.

cool! i didn't know that. one of our favorite lines from last crusade is "we named the dog indiana!" mark twain and the columbia are still the biggest most beautiful boats i've ever been on. seven more days!