PDA

View Full Version : Great visibility at the Tiki Room

mousketeer
05-21-2003, 10:07 AM
I visit the Tiki room every time I visit Disneyland; about twice a month. Every time, I have never been able to visibly see the Flavor of Hawaii film - a.k.a Dole Commercial. Check out this photo: http://www.mouseinfo.com/photo.php?photo=http://www.mouseinfo.com/disneylandresort/disneyland/adventureland/attractions/tikiroom/photos/DSC02566.JPG&cap=Queue+video+screen . Has anyone every been able to see the film so clearly during the day? I sure like to hear the secret.

PS: If you've never seen it, let alone heard it, there are audio tracks on www.disneylandsource.com .

Disney Boy
05-21-2003, 10:40 AM
From what I have heard, seen and read, this is a new projection plasma high defintion TV screen instead of the old 16mm rear screen projection film that used to be shown. It is supposed to provide better viewability during the day. I suppose that is the sun is shining directly into the area, the screen might be unviewable, but I am only guessing since every time I have gone since this new screen was installed several months ago, I have been able to see the screen fine during the day.

Andrew
05-21-2003, 11:08 AM
I've never seen that screen so clear and visible as in that photo. Wonder how it is that I never heard about the new display? Looking forward to checking it out in person in a couple of weeks.

CrayZforDisney
05-21-2003, 05:02 PM
Dole Pineapple is currently upset with Disney. They do not like the Tiki Room's condition. For one thing, they hated the old 70's video they showed. No one could see the screen, due to the old movie and glowing sun. However, now, Disney must have redone the video after Dole threated to quit their sponsorship of the Tiki Room a couple years ago.

Disney Boy
05-22-2003, 08:10 AM
You got it! And Dole called all the other sponsers of attractions at Disneyland and told them about what had happened and "suggested" that they check also to see how their $ investment was being treated. A short time later a lot of old video screens were being replaced, and then the sponsers started leaving. First GM refused to have anything to do with Rocket Rods (which was the plan from the beginning) and pulled out of Innoventions. Now we have Fed-Ex who has given up on Space Mountain and AT&T who have left Indy. Thank you Paul Pressler for letting things get so bac that even the Corporate Sponsers got fed up and left.

Matterhorn Fan
05-22-2003, 08:54 AM
The last time I waited around in the courtyard for the Tiki Room, I saw the whole film. It was very clear and easy to see, and this was during the day. All of the Tikis worked, too. That place is pretty nice when everything's working.

mousketeer
05-23-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Matterhorn Fan
The last time I waited around in the courtyard for the Tiki Room, I saw the whole film. It was very clear and easy to see, and this was during the day. All of the Tikis worked, too. That place is pretty nice when everything's working.

Finally!!!!! Now sponsors can get more out of their dollars than a CM telling folks upon entering the Tiki Room, "Welcome to Walt Disney's Enchanetd Tiki Room, Presented by Dole Pineapple". A fitting ending.

merlinjones
05-23-2003, 01:47 PM
I wish they would return to having exotic hula girls host the show... it's part of the proper atmosphere. They should give out leis or shells, juice samplers and make everone say A-LOOOOOOO-HA!.

Whatever happened to the Barker Bird? He could still be useful.

CrayZforDisney
05-23-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by merlinjones
I wish they would return to having exotic hula girls host the show... it's part of the proper atmosphere. They should give out leis or shells, juice samplers and make everone say A-LOOOOOOO-HA!.

Whatever happened to the Barker Bird? He could still be useful.

They still make everyone say A- LOOOOOOO-HA! And, as for the Barker Bird, it was clogging up the entrance to Adventureland(because so many people wanted to listen to the bird talk!) , so it had to be removed.

jerjer2005
05-24-2003, 08:16 PM
Dole Pineapple is currently upset with Disney. They do not like the Tiki Room's condition. For one thing, they hated the old 70's video they showed. No one could see the screen, due to the old movie and glowing sun. However, now, Disney must have redone the video after Dole threated to quit their sponsorship of the Tiki Room a couple years ago.

This is pure DISNEY GOSSIP!

number one... sponsor cannot threaten to take away there sponsorship. ever sponsor has a contract which has a certain time span (of many many years) and disney decides on the re-newing of these contracts.

disney always has the upper hand. the sponsors could easily be replaced if disney seems to be having problems with them.

and why would dole want to leave disney anyway... they make tons of money off of the juice stand! give me a break... dole never had it so good. there not gonna risk it all or not likeing a 70's movie.

lets cut the gossip yall

MonorailMan
05-24-2003, 08:37 PM
Mmmm....A DoleŽ Whip $ure $ounds good right about now. :)

mousketeer
05-25-2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by MonorailMan
Mmmm....A DoleŽ Whip $ure $ounds good right about now. :)

EMail Bill for the recipie:D :D

Tigertail777
05-25-2003, 11:28 PM
The part about Dole being upset was not gossip, it was pretty well known they posted it over on Laughingplace.com when it happened. As for contracts, if Disney does not keep up their end of the bargain on keeping an attraction up, or spent on what is stated in the contract, they have every right to break that contract. Sometimes is takes the act of going to court to do so, but it can be done, and not with a lot of difficulty if one person isnt holding up their end of the contract. And regardless of whether the Dole thing is true, (which I fully beleive it is) Disney has been known in more than one instance to pull the wool over their sponsors eyes when they visit so they dont see the condition "their" sponsored attraction is in, why would they go to these lengths if it wasnt true that it would easy for them to break the contract with Disney, and Disney still wants their sponsorship?

As for Dole making a mint of the juices and such... I highly doubt that considering how the hours have been drastically cut of when that juice bar is open...even if Disney is giving them free rent (which I kinda doubt...its probably more like a large discounted rent) they still have overhead of material costs/supplies, plus worker costs. I am sure if they were indeed making a mint, they would want to have even more Dole sponsorships elsewhere in the parks and would push to have more "restaurant" presence. I think the reality is they make a decent profit, and get their name out there, but dont make a "killing".

As I understand it, sponsorships are supposed to help fund the building of new attractions, as well as pay for rehabs in staggered quarterly amounts that are supposed to be spent in quarterly rehabs: 2 upkeep regular rehabs, and 2 major fix type rehabs (a total of 4 in 1 year depending upon the need). Tiki room its obvious hasnt had any major rehabs in YEARS... Disney must be spending that sponsorship money somewhere else because it sure aint on the tiki room.
The above is the way I have heard the sponsorships have been run for a very long time in long standing tradition, BUT I think the reason all the rides and attractions are suffering now, is that in recent years Disney has been allocating all sponsor funds into one large general fund that is spread out amongst all attractions, thus depleting the regular rehab budget for EACH attraction, if one needs more work currently than another.