PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrowland renovation.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

nowen1
04-14-2011, 02:58 PM
This may be a ways out still, at least till DCA is complete.

A couple of years ago I read that Tomorrowland is due for updating and was slated for post DCA renovation and some things tossed around were putting the Astro-Orbiter back were it belongs and utilizing the peoplemover track for something. Also another "E" ticket ride to replace innoventions. And that Lucas would take a greater role in the whole design and have a greater Star wars presence. I have no idea if any of this is true but it sounded great at the time.

potzbie
04-14-2011, 03:27 PM
... some things tossed around were putting the Astro-Orbiter back where it belongs ...
"Where it belongs?"
You mean, undo the re-do of Tomorrowland, and retro-ize it back to the 1960s/1970s configuration?
"Re-retro?"

... and utilizing the PeopleMover track for something.
Everybody's been saying that ever since the Rocket Sleds (Of Maintenance Hell?) nose-dived.

Also another "E" ticket ride to replace Innoventions.
Not the first time we've heard that before.
Innoventions has got to go. It was a commercial shill upon a quick first impression, and still a commercial shill in 2011.

And that Lucas would take a greater role in the whole design and have a greater Star wars presence.
Coming this summer.
"Patience, my young Jedi. Queue up for the opening, you will." ;)

IllusionOfLife
04-14-2011, 04:56 PM
I'm eagerly awaiting a new update for Tomorrowland, but I want it to be Tomorrowland, not StarWarsland. I'd like to see the imagineers do something really cool and unique rather than just recreate the images from the Star Wars prequels.

Anyway, I don't think anything's ever been confirmed, but my wish list is: replacing Innoventions (for obvious reasons), replacing Captain EO (it's a fun bit of Disney History, but let's face it, it was never intended to be a permanent replacement for HIStA), doing something with the People Mover track (even if it means getting rid of it entirely), and bulldozing Autopia and adding three new E-Ticket attractions (I mean seriously, that one mediocre attraction is bigger than the entire land of Toontown).

Also, read up on Tomorrowland 2055, if they did that I'd be extremely happy.

disneyland addict13
04-14-2011, 08:19 PM
Just thought I'd add a little something I've been thinking about. Star Wars doesn't really belong in Tomorrowland at all, because the opening to all of the movies says "A long time ago in a galaxy far away." So, technically, Star Wars takes place in the past... :)

MidwayManiac
04-14-2011, 08:40 PM
"Where it belongs?"
Innoventions has got to go. It was a commercial shill upon a quick first impression, and still a commercial shill in 2011.

Very cogent analysis. Couldn't have said it better myself. I refuse to be a party to the shameless ABC Network plug in what's a completely unnecessary 20 minute queue. My 6 year old son loves going in there to play the games so I'll take him but only via the exit ramp.

IllusionOfLife
04-14-2011, 10:40 PM
At the risk of further derailing this thread into a "we hate Innoventions" thread, I'd like to point out that the entire concept kind of breaks part of what's special about Disneyland. The plaque over the entrance says "Here you leave today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy" and, at least to me, Innoventions is far too much "Today" to belong inside Disneyland Park.

ShelbyH
04-14-2011, 10:55 PM
The best part about Innoventions is that it's air-conditioned. Actually that's the only good part. I also agree with putting the Astro-Orbitor back up high. That was the cool part of the ride. Otherwise it's just Dumbo with different cars.

nowen1
04-15-2011, 07:09 AM
i thought the same thing about more Star Wars, there is no need, i am a fan of the movies but the little splash that is there is just right, no one wants Jar-Jar messing with a pod racer in the middle of Tomorrowland. The rockets back on top was right because it added that little extra thrill that made you hang on a bit tighter than on Dumbo. I dont think moving it would really be "retro-izing" as much as correcting. As far as removing the Autotopia I never really considered that and it would make sence but they would have to take into consideration the Submarine ride which goes under part of it if i am not mistaken. As much as i miss the people mover and wish it was back i do see the need to remove the track to really move forward and it would open up the sight lines and change the feel as you walk into Tomorrowland.

danyoung
04-15-2011, 07:25 AM
Star Wars doesn't really belong in Tomorrowland at all, because the opening to all of the movies says "A long time ago in a galaxy far away." So, technically, Star Wars takes place in the past... :)

You're probably half kidding, but I've heard this argument before and always disagreed with it. If you ask anyone what category the Star Wars movies belong in, it's science fiction. And other than that brief line, which is only there to romanticize the movies a bit, they are most definitely futuristic. And as such Star Tours totally belongs in Tomorrowland.

I have the same argument for Buzz Lightyear. Sure, he was a character in a movie that's set in current times. But he's a Space Ranger, his design is that of a character from the future, and again he belongs in Tomorrowland.

The other side of that argument would be the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor in Florida's Tomorrowland. Yes, it's from a somewhat science fiction story. But there's nothing futuristic about the monsters, so in my opinion they do NOT belong in Tomorrowland.

disneyland addict13
04-15-2011, 08:46 AM
You're probably half kidding, but I've heard this argument before and always disagreed with it. If you ask anyone what category the Star Wars movies belong in, it's science fiction. And other than that brief line, which is only there to romanticize the movies a bit, they are most definitely futuristic. And as such Star Tours totally belongs in Tomorrowland.

Yeah, I definitely agree with you on that. I was completely kidding. I also feel that Star Wars belongs in Tomorrowland, but I always like to point out that, although Star Wars is of course futuristic, it "technically" takes place in the past. Most people that I tell that to haven't even realized that the opener says "a long time ago."

Grandpa Louie
04-15-2011, 09:54 AM
The Park's Tomorrowland needs a facelift. The 1998 renovation included such phone-it-in concepts like the Observatron and the vaunted "neo-agrarian concepts" in landscaping. The Rocket Jets need to go back to the original location and be made to look like ROCKET JETS instead of some Jule Verne nightmare.

DwarfPlanet
04-15-2011, 10:13 AM
I have to agree I would like to see the Rocket Jets come back. Riding up above the ground that high was what made it fun or terrifying depending on your age. The Astro Orbiter was just the original Astro Jets on steroids.

letshavefun
04-15-2011, 10:39 AM
I should know this but don't whats an "E" ticket ride?

danyoung
04-15-2011, 10:49 AM
Back in the olden days you paid a few bucks for admission to Disneyland, and you also bought a coupon book, which included several tickets labeled A through E. The A tickets were for the smaller rides like the Main Street vehicles, while the E tickets were the headliner attractions like the Matterhorn and the Submarine Voyage. Of course these are no longer in use, but it somehow made it into our language that a headlining attraction is still referred to as an E ticket.

DwarfPlanet
04-15-2011, 12:10 PM
More trivia, the Mushroom next to the Alice in Wonderland ride and the Lighthouse next to Storybook Canal Boats were originally ticket booths. I think there is a third one left but I don't remember where its at.

rokstedy
04-15-2011, 01:46 PM
I for one hope they don't demo autopia. I get why some people don't like the ride, at least in terms of how it fits into Tomorrowland, but kids freaking love that ride! It seems boring to many adults I'd bet, but try the park from a kids perspective and you get a whole new appreciation of things.

One could argue the ride needs an upgrade from gas...electric cars are a bit more futuristic. And I'm sure Disney would agree, but I believe there's a contractual issue with Chevron before that can happen.

IllusionOfLife
04-15-2011, 02:01 PM
I for one hope they don't demo autopia. I get why some people don't like the ride, at least in terms of how it fits into Tomorrowland, but kids freaking love that ride! It seems boring to many adults I'd bet, but try the park from a kids perspective and you get a whole new appreciation of things.

Give them a couple years, I guarantee they'll stop missing it ;)

All joking aside that's the problem with that attraction is it has such a limited appeal. Kids do enjoy it, but the target audience ends about the age of 12, and you have to be a certain height before you can actually drive the cars, which is the real draw in the first place. Having attractions geared solely for little kids is fine, but when they take up that much space I'd say it's a huge waste.

I know, I know, Autopia is a classic, it's been there since the beginning, kid's love it, I get it, but my point is that it's just extremely impractical. The fact that the absolute largest attraction in the park has the absolute smallest target audience is almost laughable, and that's why I say bulldozing it would be better for the future of Tomorrow/Fantasyland.

Bytebear
04-15-2011, 02:27 PM
I get the appeal of Star Wars, and Disney is in deep with Lucas, but I would like to see a collaboration with Paramount and add the Star Trek franchise to Disneyland. It's truly futuristic, and deals with humanity, and not just humanoids from a long ago galaxy. If anyone has been to the now defunct Star Trek Experience in Las Vegas, you can see that they already have some good attractions going with some fun effects. You have so many possibilities, and with the relaunch of Star Trek, there is a good possibility of movie tie-ins. So that would be my wish. Move out Star Wars and move in Star Trek.

potzbie
04-15-2011, 03:13 PM
Star Wars doesn't really belong in Tomorrowland at all, because the opening to all of the movies says "A long time ago in a galaxy far away." So, technically, Star Wars takes place in the past... :)
Ooh! Ooh! I know, I know! -- Frontierland!

"Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the Millenium Falcon. it's five-film mission: to boldly outsell merchandise like no man has done before ..."
:eyeroll:

letshavefun
04-15-2011, 03:48 PM
Thanks danyoung I have seen the term "E" ticket rides before in the forum and finally decided to ask. I do remember the old school tickets so that totally makes sense.

cstephens
04-15-2011, 03:51 PM
I get the appeal of Star Wars, and Disney is in deep with Lucas, but I would like to see a collaboration with Paramount and add the Star Trek franchise to Disneyland.

I can't remember if Paramount still owns theme parks. When they bought a chain of them, they had Star Trek entertainment there, though I don't remember if they actually had a ride. That's also why they pulled out the Star Trek attraction that had been at Universal Studios Hollywood.

olegc
04-15-2011, 04:31 PM
I get the appeal of Star Wars, and Disney is in deep with Lucas, but I would like to see a collaboration with Paramount and add the Star Trek franchise to Disneyland. It's truly futuristic, and deals with humanity, and not just humanoids from a long ago galaxy. If anyone has been to the now defunct Star Trek Experience in Las Vegas, you can see that they already have some good attractions going with some fun effects. You have so many possibilities, and with the relaunch of Star Trek, there is a good possibility of movie tie-ins. So that would be my wish. Move out Star Wars and move in Star Trek.

meh - no thanks. I think part of the lore and love folks have for Star Trek was that it was a thinking man's sci-fi and was not too keen on fantasy and that adventure idea of the saturday serials. Star Wars has that and the money DIsney probably spent with Lucasfilm to collaborate in the first place will probably preclude them from doing another partnership with a completely different one. Star wars also has the concept of side-kick characters that many DIsney films include (non-humanoid). Star Trek really does not have this in place - it was truly a way to tell stories of the day about people and translate it to the screen with different settings.

Besides - I only need one "outside influence" in Tomorrowland - if I want Star Wars AND Star Trek AND others (Doctor Who anyone? can you see it - a bunch of phone booths with a video attraction) I can go to Comic Con or any number of fan shows. Would a Star Trek attraction be neat? sure, but it would not have the same story appeal that Star Tours does.

I know, I know, Autopia is a classic, it's been there since the beginning, kid's love it, I get it, but my point is that it's just extremely impractical. The fact that the absolute largest attraction in the park has the absolute smallest target audience is almost laughable, and that's why I say bulldozing it would be better for the future of Tomorrow/Fantasyland.

Ah, yes, but it sucks up crowds out of the walkways like most Ops folks like- and keeps bringing kids in. As long as kids can't drive on the outside and can drive on the inside - they will go.

jananafish
04-15-2011, 04:52 PM
see also: autopia thread :P

i really can't stand autopia and won't miss it when/if they ever take it out :)

ShelbyH
04-15-2011, 05:37 PM
I've never understood the hate for Autopia :(. It's still one of my favorite attractions (yes, as an adult) and it always has a line.

jananafish
04-15-2011, 08:36 PM
my reason? IT STINKS! blech! i never liked it, even as a child. but i also dont like bumper cars, or the canoes either...i don't go to disneyland to work ;) they push all the buttons and make the magic happen hehe