PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrowland: While they're at it...

merlinjones
05-19-2003, 12:30 PM
Well, we now know that a new Space Mountain, Buzz Lightyear and Submarine Voyage are on their way to rescure Tomorrowland for the 50th... but along with these larger reinvestments, they desperately need to fix up the atmosphere around Tomorrowland at the same time, even just as a stopgap. No matter whether there are more rides or not, the following non-ride issues really have to be addressed for TL to be palatable for the anniversary. They can't wait for some theoretical future TL redo...

1) Observatron. This revolving piece of spacejunk as the visual centerpeice of Tomorrowland is killing the whole area. Put the Rocket Jets back up there! Or a human gyroscope or something that is both attractive and active. This is a key weenie/eyecandy spot. It must be fixed ASAP!

2) Cosmic Waves: Get rid of the remnants of this dead marble fountain and its tacky planters. just pave it over if necessary, but these remnants are more useless and ugly visual junk for TL.

3) Club Buzz: The formerly attractive stage looks like crud, completely out of style with the rest of TL and covered with ugly, cluttery nostalgic junk (like minature houses of the future). We really need some style here. Even if the concept of Club Buzz stays, the stage and facade design must change to beautify the area! Why not use one of the old CBJ figures to create an AA space alien lounge singer like at WDW, then streamline the area to match. It would be much more appealing. Add this to the Buzz ride building budget!

4) The Top of Club Buzz/TL Terrace/CircleVision: Please budget into the Buzz ride redo of that building a fix to the roofline area here - - the worst prominent view in the park (epecially from the Matterhorn/Sub area or even from Autopia...). Those airconditioning units, ventpipes and other "junk" up on the roof desperately need to be covered with some sort of facade. Talk about real world intrusion...

5) I would add the PeopleMover track, but that's a bigger ride issue.

RStar
05-19-2003, 01:18 PM
And....

PAINT SPACE MOUNTAIN!!

Thank you.

merlinjones
05-19-2003, 02:09 PM
How could I forget that?!?!?!

Space Mountain's paint job is truly hideous. Looks like cat poo or vomit. I can only assume they plan to do something with it in the redo. If they must stick to the wannabe Verne thing, then come up with a palatable color scheme and texture like Paris (of course, I'd rather see all of TL go back to white ultramod, including SM).

blusilva
05-19-2003, 03:51 PM
I live with three cats, and I think I speak for all cat slaves when I say "Hey! How dare you insult my cat's bodily functions that way!"

Seriously.

Ace
05-19-2003, 04:40 PM
I read somewhere that Rasulo wanted to put something on the Peoplemover track. No idea if it's true, or even where I read it. BUT, it could be true. Rasulo needed capacity (especially in TL), and the 'mover is a high-cap ride. If anyone sees a group of Imagineers looking up (towards the stars) in TL, take pictures.

merlinjones
05-19-2003, 05:51 PM
>>I live with three cats, and I think I speak for all cat slaves when I say "Hey! How dare you insult my cat's bodily functions that way!"<<

At least their mess can be scooped away. We have had to live with that awful paintjob for years!

Morrigoon
05-19-2003, 07:11 PM
I'd like to see it either all white again, or white with blue & silver accents to highlight the vertical beams.

DisneyFan25863
05-19-2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Ace
If anyone sees a group of Imagineers looking up (towards the stars) in TL, take pictures.

I saw some guys dressed in suites looking up there last Sat. (5/17). Didn't have a camera, through......(I didn't think much of it at the time. I was too busy watching that spinning thing hypnotise me into buying more ugly Pat-E-Cake pins)

Morrigoon
05-19-2003, 11:56 PM
They've been running it or something over the weekend.

CrayZforDisney
05-21-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Ace
I read somewhere that Rasulo wanted to put something on the Peoplemover track. No idea if it's true, or even where I read it. BUT, it could be true. Rasulo needed capacity (especially in TL), and the 'mover is a high-cap ride. If anyone sees a group of Imagineers looking up (towards the stars) in TL, take pictures.

Hmmm.... What could go on the peoplemover track?

I think they should replace the Rocket Rods track launcher thingys with a type of conveyor belt. Then, they should make sets of Tomorrowland, flying saucers, Martains, and astronauts and run them along the conveyor belt. It could be called "Tomorrowland's Sky Parade!" So, the sculptures, sets, and miniatures could be traveling above your head ( on the peoplemover track) to entertain guests as they walk in Tomorrowland! This would definitely add to the atmosphere!

...Oh, and some space music should be playing as the parade operates.

DisneyFan25863
05-21-2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by CrayZforDisney
Hmmm.... What could go on the peoplemover track?

I think they should replace the Rocket Rods track launcher thingys with a type of conveyor belt. Then, they should make sets of Tomorrowland, flying saucers, Martains, and astronauts and run them along the conveyor belt. It could be called "Tomorrowland's Sky Parade!" So, the sculptures, sets, and miniatures could be traveling above your head ( on the peoplemover track) to entertain guests as they walk in Tomorrowland! This would definitely add to the atmosphere!

...Oh, and some space music should be playing as the parade operates.

Great. Another Parade :rolleyes:

Ace
05-21-2003, 05:37 PM
It took me a long time to think of what I really, truly wanted to go on the Peoplemover track. And then, the answer came to me.

THE PEOPLEMOVER!!!!

DisneyFan25863
05-21-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Ace
It took me a long time to think of what I really, truly wanted to go on the Peoplemover track. And then, the answer came to me.

THE PEOPLEMOVER!!!!

Who woulda thunk it? :fez:

Ace
05-21-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by DisneyFan25863
Who woulda thunk it? :fez:

If they bring back the peoplemover, I will personally bake Mr. Rasulo a cake (CHOCOLATE) and deliver it to him, complete with a singing telegram.

Baloo
05-21-2003, 08:22 PM
I agree with you about the observatron thiing. they should at least at some real lazers or something and turn it into a lazer showduring the night and then maybe at some lights during the day and make it more interesting. the club buzz area lso needs to be redone it does not match with the rest of the land then they could do something with the top terrace of space mountain.]]
]]But please do not add this as part of the budget for buzz spin because then it would take away money fromt he attraction sets.

CrayZforDisney
05-21-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by DisneyFan25863
Great. Another Parade :rolleyes:

This will be more like a show, not like a normal cheesy parade.

BrerFox
05-22-2003, 06:54 AM
Ive only read MouseTails once but heres what I gather from it. The peoplemover was acountable for the most deaths/injuries in the park! Sure the cars moved a blistering pace of 2 miles per hour, but being that it goes so slow.....wouldn't we be able to see more problems in TL from higher up?
I could be wrong:p

Ive been a fan for saspended track coasters and stuff and I also think it would be cool if they put in an Alddin attraction in Fantasyland....but I think it would pretty cool if they put in a suspended peoplemove type thing.You know, with feet dangling and the whole bit.

Just thinking out loud:rolleyes:

CrayZforDisney
05-22-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by BrerFox
Ive only read MouseTails once but heres what I gather from it. The peoplemover was acountable for the most deaths/injuries in the park! Sure the cars moved a blistering pace of 2 miles per hour, but being that it goes so slow.....wouldn't we be able to see more problems in TL from higher up?
I could be wrong:p

Ive been a fan for saspended track coasters and stuff and I also think it would be cool if they put in an Alddin attraction in Fantasyland....but I think it would pretty cool if they put in a suspended peoplemove type thing.You know, with feet dangling and the whole bit.

Just thinking out loud:rolleyes:

Two miles per hour? That is one FAST ride!

wonderful
05-23-2003, 12:35 AM
Good suggestions...
I would also say "Agrifuture" (the cabbages, etc.) is a bit tired and the horticulture team should be allowed to come up with a new looks to the rather sparce greenery in the land...
Get rid of the stupid "rocks" in front of the land...
Spruce up Star Tours (think about it... Florida has a full fledged At-At to draw folks in... we have a faded mural)-- there has to be some set pieces lying around somewhere...
I always wondered why there's no "in your face" technology in TL, like big screens or holographic images that appear randomly-- sure would beat a spinning pile of junk...
Add something cool to Autopia... like a soundtrack or some animatronics or SOMETHING! The queue is pretty entertaining, but the ride itself is "eh"... oh, but PLEASE (if you are reading this Michael) do not take that as an indication to "get rid" of this attraction... we need not "get rid" of any more attractions...
Well, unless that attraction is "Astro Orbiter"-- another reason to hate the French (I'm kidding).
Please make the Carrousel Theater anything but Innoventions!! I would even take a spinning Star Trader... at least it would have some purpose (BUT, again, that does not mean I would RATHER have a store... an attraction would be my first choice).
Radio Disney should be manned by a full-time Disneyland DJ staff that plays good/ current music and that whole area should be spruced up with lights or something...
Which reminds me: where are the lights in TL?? Seriously, the land of the future has us in an energy crisis... it is so dark over there and you'd think the place would be "glowing"... being all advanced and all...
The interactive Stitch in Innoventions should be somehow made a TL mascot and used in a few places in the land to sort of entertain Guests in the land... unexpectedly-- I mean, it's such a cool technology and it is being totatly underutilized... but I'm not commited to Stitch, I hear they are working on a bunch of characters (but if anyone suggests "Tom Morrow"... well, you have problems).
Oh, and, before I forget, we need to get a West Coast version of Star Wars Weekends! That just looks SO cool and I have no idea why we have never done them at Disneyland...
Okay, sorry this is so long, but here's my final suggestion:
Someone posted, a while back, that a fiber optic effect would be cool on Space Mountain and ever since then I have looked at that big ugly thing and that"yeah, that would be nifty!"