View Full Version : Terrible news : CM accident @ DCA

Pages : [1] 2

watkinz
05-19-2003, 11:44 AM
From AP News at www.myway.com

http://apnews.myway.com//article/20030519/D7R4IQ980.html

-------------------------------------------------
May 19, 3:14 PM (ET)

IRVINE, Calif. (AP) - A technician who fell 42 feet last month while testing special effects for the stage version of Disney's animated film "Aladdin," has died, officials said.

Christopher Bowman, 36, suffered severe head injuries when he fell to the Hyperion Theater stage April 22. He died Sunday. An autopsy was scheduled.

"Disneyland Resort is mourning the loss of a member of our cast member family. Our hearts go out to his family and friends," resort President Cynthia Harriss said in a statement.

"Disney's Aladdin, A Musical Spectacular" is a 40-minute stage adaptation of the popular 1992 animated film. Among its illusions are flying carpets and a giant snake that emerges from the stage. Introduced early this year, it is performed two or three times daily.

The California Division of Occupational Safety and Health is investigating the fall. Division spokesman Dean Fryer has said investigators are focusing on whether there was fall protection and adequate training.
--------------------------------------------

Please continue to include Christopher and his family in your prayers.

mandi2728
05-19-2003, 11:51 AM
How terrible:(

RStar
05-19-2003, 11:57 AM
Oh, that is horrible. I'm not sure I can go to the show without thinking of this terrible news.

I was there last week and noticed the flying carpet wasn't working. Is this tragic accident the reason why? I wonder if this will change anything at the theater, I know the show must go on but................

Not Afraid
05-19-2003, 11:59 AM
This is very sad news. I always hate when there there is hope and then it's gone.

Prayer and thoughts to family and friends.

DJ_MENTOS
05-19-2003, 12:01 PM
And this is why the last 2 shows were cancelled yesterday. :(

Tref
05-19-2003, 12:09 PM
So tragic. My thoughts & prayers go out to the family.

MouseWife
05-19-2003, 12:10 PM
Oh, what terrible news.

My sympathies to the family.

Rallymonkey23
05-19-2003, 12:19 PM
Our thoughts and prayers are with the family of the CM.
This is very sad news indeed......:crying:

Disneyphile
05-19-2003, 02:01 PM
:( :crying: :crying: :crying:

DisneyFan25863
05-19-2003, 03:17 PM
:crying:

MammaSilva
05-19-2003, 03:53 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with that family today :crying:

GoldenEars
05-19-2003, 04:52 PM
What tragic news to hear about!! And like all of you, my heart and prayers go out to the family and friends of this young man.

I certainly hope Disney offers a tribute in some way in their *LINE* they publish each week for the cast members, because that would be a nice and touching farewell.

Patrick:crying:

oohykitten
05-19-2003, 11:00 PM
I hate this, when the show was cancelled when I went on Sunday, my stomach just sank. I had this sixth sense it had something to do with it the accedent. Gosh I feel so much for the whole cast. Especially the ushers who have to deal with the guests, even myself as they are dealing with it themselves.

DLFan
05-20-2003, 08:36 AM
So very sad. My thoughts and prayers and with his family and friends.

tod
05-20-2003, 09:09 AM
Terrible, terrible news. My heart goes out to all who feel this loss. Not only the guests who watched the show, but the Aladdin cast members who worked with him, and his friends and family.

And remember, everybody -- it could be over thatquick for any of us. Enjoy it.

--T

Tigertail777
05-20-2003, 11:44 AM
ditto of what everyone else said. such a tragedy.:crying:

treelofan
05-20-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by DJ_MENTOS
And this is why the last 2 shows were cancelled yesterday. :( no that's not why they were cancelled it was sound problems you could hear noise behind the curtains during the 2:30 show. they were gonna cancell the 2:30 but didn't.

DJ_MENTOS
05-20-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by treelofan
no that's not why they were cancelled it was sound problems you could hear noise behind the curtains during the 2:30 show. they were gonna cancell the 2:30 but didn't.

That's not what the CM told me. She said they had just found out that they pulled life support. The cast was emotionally upset.
And why would they cancel TWO shows for sound problems? That wouldn't make sense.

jerjer2005
05-20-2003, 05:21 PM
first of all i would also like to be in agreement with you on the fact that my thoughts with be with the family of this man.

***further more, the cast member that had informed you that he had been taken off life support should be fired imediately. disney cast members are never instructed to tell the guests such things, i was there the day that the accident had happened and they were telling guests that they were ecxpieriencing technical difficulties. no one wants to come to dca to hear about such tramatic things.***

***and to the thoughts that aladdin speratic closures and show cancelations are due to this event it is highly doubtful as Aladdin has technical difficulties quite frequently. and even more the show was open the next day after the mans initial fall. ***

DJ_MENTOS
05-20-2003, 05:52 PM
Who said I was a guest?

tazart
05-20-2003, 08:43 PM
The silver lining out of this horrible news is that the CM was an organ donor and according to the news I heard today, 3 people recieved organs, 2 of them potentialy life-saving. One person was badly in need of a heart and they got one.

Put that little sticker on the back of your license boys and girls.

EhhMon
05-21-2003, 02:30 AM
I wonder if this is the same Christopher Bowman who won the Silver and Bronze Medal in male figure skating. I believe he was also the Gold medalist in the US Male figure skating champions in 1989.

They are the same age, 36. The figure skater was from Los Angeles and born on March of 1967.

SteveK
05-21-2003, 11:13 AM
If anyone has any additional info on this Christopher Bowman, please let me know. I'm 36 and one of my best friends in elementary & middle school was named Chris Bowman. He moved to Northern California before high school and I lost track of him...I'm hoping it was not him.
-Steve

Not Afraid
05-21-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by EhhMon
I wonder if this is the same Christopher Bowman who won the Silver and Bronze Medal in male figure skating. I believe he was also the Gold medalist in the US Male figure skating champions in 1989.

They are the same age, 36. The figure skater was from Los Angeles and born on March of 1967.

I can assure this is NOT the same Christopher Bowman who was - and still is - a figure skater. It seems the name is a bit more common then we knew.

treelofan
05-21-2003, 06:11 PM
ok i'm going to admitt i was wrong about sunday's show i thought it was tech problems, i found out today it was about the cm. i feel bad for the performers as well they lost a part of their family.