PDA

View Full Version : The Walt Disney World Company?

cstephens
05-19-2003, 10:07 AM
We've driven through the gates at the Mickey and Friends parking structure a bazillion times, and I never usually pay attention to the signage on the side of the tollbooths. After I showed my AP to the attendant and waited for my ticket, I happened to look over and saw one of the signs, and I swear the first sentence started out something like "The Walt Disney World Company" etc., etc. By this time, the attendant had given me the ticket, so we had to pull away.

Anyone else seen that sign and can confirm that's what it says? Does "The Walt Disney World Company" even exist?

JeffG
05-19-2003, 11:12 AM
I have noticed that sign before. I can't recall the exact wording, but it is the typical legal disclaimer announcing that if you park the car in the garage you are releasing Disney from liability for damage, theft, etc.

It does identify the company as "The Walt Disney World Company". I would imagine there must be some legal advantage to having the legal operator of the garage be Walt Disney World for that purpose. I'm guessing that there is probably some advantage to being able to litigate any challeges to the disclaimer under Florida law.

-Jeff

Andrew
05-19-2003, 12:44 PM
Some WDW attractions still use a live CM to do the introduction or "farewell" spiel. Almost every one of those includes something like "On behalf of the Walt Disney World Company, we hope you've enjoyed...". I particularly recall this in the Little Mermaid show at MGM, and Cranium Command at EPCOT.

goofey
05-20-2003, 02:37 AM
Having worked for Disney for a couple years, I've seen this title many times. The way I understand it, "Walt Disney World Company" and "The Walt Disney Company" are interchangeable and refer to the entire company (resorts, studios, WDI, etc), while "Walt Disney World Resort" refers to the resort property in Florida.

Walt Disney World Resort is under the Resorts and Attractions division of TWDC, just like Disneyland Resort, so I can't imagine "Walt Disney World Company" would refer to the Florida resort. It just doesn't make sense to me for a subsidiary of a company to have the word "company" in its title.

Hope that sorta answers the question.