PDA

View Full Version : Tower Of Terror?

whiles
05-19-2003, 09:58 AM
All,

Forgive me for being a little nieve here,

But what the heck is the Tower of Terror?

To me all the photos I see online look like a new Hotel in the DCA area? If it is not a themed hotel then it is one huge attraction?

Any insights, do have they have something similiar in Florida?

Thanks,
Whiles

justagrrl
05-19-2003, 10:13 AM
It's a ride!

Check it out: http://www.tower-of-terror.com/

RStar
05-19-2003, 12:34 PM
And it's a movie!

Check this out! Click here (http://www.tower-of-terror.com/movie.html)

The movie is based on the ride in Florida.

RStar
05-19-2003, 12:36 PM
Oops, hit the wrong button. Sorry.

hbquikcomjamesl
05-19-2003, 12:56 PM
The basic premise of the attraction is that you've walked into a Twilight Zone episode about a haunted (well, sort-of) hotel that exists partially within the Twilight Zone. You board a freight elevator, which then takes you through a number of fascinating special effects before dropping you with an acceleration greater than 9.8 meters per second squared. More than once. When I rode the Florida version, I spent the entire drop cycle holding onto my glasses and the assorted stuff (guidemaps, notebook, flashlight, two rather expensive Pelikan fountain pens) in my breast pocket. And I was a bit unsteady on my feet for a few minutes after.

goofey
05-20-2003, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by hbquikcomjamesl
You board a freight elevator, which then takes you through a number of fascinating special effects before dropping you with an acceleration greater than 9.8 meters per second squared.

Just a little factoid from the geek in me....9.8 meters per second squared is the acceleration due to gravity on Earth. In other words, if the ride really does accelerate you at that rate (wouldnt know since I've never been on it or seen technical specs), you are falling faster than you would be if you were just free-falling from the same height.

hbquikcomjamesl
05-20-2003, 07:27 AM
if the ride really does accelerate you at that rate. . . , you are falling faster than you would be if you were just free-falling from the same height.
According to everything I've read, it does and you do. I was trying to be subtle.

sgtdilbert
05-20-2003, 08:08 AM
It's absolutely the best ride at any Disney park. And we're getting a couple of variations in our version that should make ride handle more people and break down less often.

Can't wait!

Rode the Tower of Terror in Florida 21 times in January. Love it! :)

s.

Disney Boy
05-20-2003, 08:11 AM
THe elevator ride vehicle (in the Florida attraction anyway, can't speak for DCA's as it isn't finished yet) is actually pulled down faster than it would fall. There are motors at the top to lift it up before the drop (in 2 out of the 4 random drop patterns) and then as the car is released, motors at the bottom and top work in tandom to safely pull the car down at that high rater of speed and pull it back up and drop it again. Sometimes as many as 5 times before it stops the drops.

Since DCA's TOT will lift and drop in the same tower, unlike Florida's which has a seperate lift tower and drop tower, I can't say just what effects will be used, but I have been told by several sources, we won't be dissapointed. They are installing some new technology at DCA that isn't in Florida's version. And our building is actullay bigger and taller than the one in Florida.

whiles
05-20-2003, 10:39 AM
Thanks all for the information.

I understand this tower is over 200 feet tall as opposed to the 199 ft. Florida Version.

Sounds like good fun Although this might be a solo ride for me. This wife does not like anything scary. She only goes to the Haunted Mansion during the Nightmare Before Christmas setup.

Looking foward to antoher thrill ride at DCA. It better be good becasuse it is huge, like an entire hotel just for a ride. Very cool.

Whiles:cool:

hbquikcomjamesl
05-21-2003, 03:07 PM
It's absolutely the best ride at any Disney park.

"sgtdilbert," I'm afraid I must find another point where I disagree strongly with you. While I enjoyed ToT, as far as I'm concerned, Soarin' at DCA, Imagination and Ellen at Epcot, GMR at MGM, Kilimanjaro Safari at AK, Indy at DL, CoP at WDW-MK, and the MK experience as a whole (whether at DL or WDW) are all better.

Then again, I'm the guy who did Magic Mountain once, a quarter-century ago, and found it a crashing bore.

hbquikcomjamesl
05-21-2003, 03:12 PM
Shortly before I rode ToT myself, I overheard some fellow entering the queue for ToT, and saying to the CM, "We have reservations."

On my way to the FP machine a few seconds later, I said something to the CM, to the effect of "I'll bet a lot of people have 'reservations' about this 'hotel'."

raider
05-22-2003, 08:27 AM
Hey Whiles!

Not sure this was mentioned but:

I went to the TOT in Fla. and I must say that one of the things that REALLY stood out was the queue area OUTSIDE the ride. Very lush garden area. Beautiful theming! Some of the best i have ever seen at a Disney park....hope our version (DCA) is at least as nice!!!!:)