PDA

View Full Version : Ever been scared?

Pages : [1] 2

lazyboy97O
05-18-2003, 08:16 PM
has anybody ever been afraid to ride and attraction at Disneyland? If so, what attraction and why.

Here are the ones I used to be afraid of.
Pirates of the Carribean-Don't Remember
Haunted Mansion-Probably had to do with ghosts.
Submarine Voyage-Thought they actually submerged, afraid of the sub breaking and being stuck under water. I am sometimes clastrophobic too.

DisneyFan25863
05-18-2003, 08:20 PM
I didn't go on HM til I was 5. Still am slightly afraid of it (more though because of the....ahem......dust/human remains incident

I also am still terrified of Splash (and don't you think that you can pull me on one when I finally go to a meet :fez: )

Kuzcotopia
05-18-2003, 08:23 PM
On Splash mountain, almost every time before the drop I have a flash of fear.

My fear is, there is a stopped log just inside the drop tunnel, and I'm about to crash into it.

I know there's a zillion safety systems keeping it from happening. It's just a flash of irrational fear.

But it does make the drop a tad more thrilling!

lazyboy97O
05-18-2003, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by DisneyFan25863
I..dust/human remains incident

What is that? Somebody throw ashes into the attarction?

XxJack SkellingtonxX
05-18-2003, 08:25 PM
Pirates, too scared of "robot men"

Indy, The big face shooting me with a laser (as almost all promotional art had in it)

Haunted Mansion, Ghosts

Roger Rabbit, The Judge as a cartoon and getting shot with "dip"

Mr. Toad, the word "wild" in the title

Matterhorn, the snowmen

Space Mountain, the dark

Splash Mountain, the drop

Show White, the word Scary

Pinocchio, Monstro

and these gears were all due to knowing too much about the ride before I went on it. My advise is just pull your kids on and try not to let them know too much about it. It might make them feel betrayed at first but they'll thank you later.

DisneyFan25863
05-18-2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by lazyboy97O
What is that? Somebody throw ashes into the attarction?

Click here (http://www.mouseplanet.com/david/dk021218.htm)

The story is the right after the Pooh update ;)

MammaSilva
05-18-2003, 08:28 PM
Every single time we start up that last 'lift' and the buzzards say "it's TOO LATE NOW" I get a knot in the pit of my stomach but it never keeps me off the ride LOL

Edited to add...

When the raft stops at spinning falls and sort of just 'sits' there for those few seconds I always get a little 'tense' I "KNOW" it's designed safe but I have this fear that something will go wrong and we'll flip over and I won't be able to get all the kids out......

DisneyFan25863
05-18-2003, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by mammasilva
When the raft stops at spinning falls and sort of just 'sits' there for those few seconds I always get a little 'tense' I "KNOW" it's designed safe but I have this fear that something will go wrong and we'll flip over and I won't be able to get all the kids out......

Do you mean before the final drop on GRR?

MammaSilva
05-18-2003, 08:41 PM
Yep... the one they call spinning falls.... they have that gate that stops the rafts and it holds you so the raft ahead is clear, then without warning out you go... I always have that niggling fear the raft will flip over when it hits the bottom

TerryTiger
05-18-2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by mammasilva
Yep... the one they call spinning falls.... they have that gate that stops the rafts and it holds you so the raft ahead is clear,
then without warning out you go... I always have that niggling fear the raft will flip over when it hits the bottom

Actually, the last drop on GRR is named "Grizzly Go Round"...

MammaSilva
05-18-2003, 09:09 PM
Ok .. whatever it's called.. it still scares me LOL!

MouseWife
05-18-2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Kuzcotopia
My fear is, there is a stopped log just inside the drop tunnel, and I'm about to crash into it.

Okay, this thought never entered my mind...before.

Right before the drop I always get freaked.

Pirates, I worry that they will have too much darned steam/smoke and I will not be able to breathe well.

Oh mamma, yes, that scares me, too. I know you have heard it has happened. I always wonder 'Hmm, have they taken the precautions that they were told to?? Why didn't I ask or check??'

Um.....Ghost Rider at Knott's, I feel as if I am going to fall out. I was scared. I wasn't scared to get on but will never ride again.

TruCinderella
05-18-2003, 09:23 PM
There are three rides, that I have been and always will be afraid of.

Splash Mountian, Space Mountian and The Matterhorn. I am an incredible wimp when it comes to fast rides or ones with any kinda of big drop. I have yet to muster courage to get onto any rollarcoaster type ride

Rallymonkey23
05-18-2003, 09:48 PM
When I was a kid I remember riding Pirates and had the crap (almost literally :~D ) scared out of me in the Fort Battle scene when the water shot up in the air.

Sophie832
05-19-2003, 12:34 AM
The Matterhorn, when I was a little girl...I thought that you just went straight up inside the mountain, and then dropped straight down. LOL Now, of course, I realize the error of my ways.

justagrrl
05-19-2003, 06:06 AM
I've been afraid of the GRR rafts flipping over forever. Every time we get on it's in the back of my mind.

With the sunwheel, I fear that one of the seat enclosure things (working on 1st cup of coffee- vocab isn't fuctioning 100% yet) that it will come undone, fling itself into the water, we won't be able to get out, and we'll all drown!

I still go on these rides though.

When I was in high school, we went on some sort of water slide in Big Bear. OMG! That scared me so much. As I went around the turns, I was in the air and could see over the sides, see the dropped pine needles on the ground, and was certain I was going there next. Ever since then, I will NOT get on a water slide. There is NO WAY. NO WAY!!! I simply can't explain the terror.

Other then that, I really don't get scared. I choose not to ride some things because I seem to get a little queasy if I ride - say Screamin right after Maliboomer.

10krbell
05-19-2003, 06:17 AM
OK, I still get *very* tense in Pirates, the dark part right before the boat scene. First year of Mickeys Halloween Treat, they had some*extra* Pirates in the ride to *add* to the experience! I keep waiting for them to jump out and grab me again.

I also remember very vividly standing in line for Space Mountain when I was 9, crying because I didn't want to go on it! I had done all the other coasters, but not Space, so my Dad decided it was time! Of course as soon as I got off I was dragging my Dad back in line!

donelurkin
05-19-2003, 06:30 AM
Right after Star Tours opened, my wife and I stood in the looooong line for a looooong time and kept reading the warning sign, which seemed more ominous than the standard sign, with its talk about an "intense" experience and "flight simulator technology." We ended up in a discussion with a nice couple in front of us, sort of debating whether to go through with it or not, and the four of us went back and forth for about 45 minutes while the line slowly snaked forward.

As we got close to the front, I finally asked the fella what he did for a living. He said "I fly commercial jet aircraft." I said, "Mister, if you are scared to go on this ride, then there is no way I am going on it!"

We all went on it, and had a blast, but I still remember being scared by that damn sign, and having the professional pilot scared right along with me...

peasy
05-19-2003, 05:33 PM
When I was 9 I went on the HM with a girlfriend who was 12 at the time. We were in the buggy and it was around Halloween time. We were just riding along talking through the very first hallway scene when the buggy did a turn to the right and someone in a full armor suit jumped at us and screamed.....my heart still races when I think about it now and I'm 28! I think we both were lucky not to wet our pants. I was lucky enough to chat with someone on this website who knew the CM who did that a few times. I still think about it, smile and look around the side of the buggy every time I go on the ride!!!

SusanP.
05-19-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by 10krbell
OK, I still get *very* tense in Pirates, the dark part right before the boat scene. First year of Mickeys Halloween Treat, they had some*extra* Pirates in the ride to *add* to the experience! I keep waiting for them to jump out and grab me again.

Me too! And the HM, too, from when they had the suit of armor guy that would move. Same idea.

The submarines used to freak me out when I was younger because I thought they were really real, and that somehow we actually were miles below the sea. (Yes, even with the fish on strings!)

The last time I rode Space Mt. was really scary, knowing that it was falling apart.

daveinMN
05-19-2003, 06:45 PM
I was only scared at Disneyland one time. Star Tours was still in the "soft opening". I was riding, when right after "all ships, jump to light speed" the Star Speeder just leveled itself and settled all the way down. IT was kind of startling, but then all of a sudden, there was a tremendous scream coming from one of the hydraulic rams and the floor was vibrating. I was actually pretty scared at that point. It took about 5 mintues for the bridge to lower and a cast member to appear. We of course all got off safely. I have ridden Star Tours more than 500 times, and I still love it every time I get a chance to get to DL. I was lucky enough to film the attraction from front row center seat when we went at Christmas time. Now I can watch Captain Rex from the Cockpit anytime I want right here in Minnesota!

Dave

MetalliKitty
05-19-2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Rallymonkey23
When I was a kid I remember riding Pirates and had the crap (almost literally :~D ) scared out of me in the Fort Battle scene when the water shot up in the air.

Me too. I always used to close my eyes during that part.

Also, for some strange unexplained reason, the singing moose in CBJ spooked me, bad, to the point where I cried.
Stranger yet, as a young child I was terrified of pansies. They looked like scary faces to me.

cemeinke
05-19-2003, 07:09 PM
I sometimes get scared when Zapppop sends me an IM with a link to a recent MP post...
:fez:

Tink
05-19-2003, 07:14 PM
As a child it was Journey Through Inner Space. I actually believed that we shrank and was worried that we wouldn't be able to return to normal size. The big eyeball that peered at you through the microscope gave me nightmares for years.:(

CarlieB
05-19-2003, 07:47 PM
"When I was 9 I went on the HM with a girlfriend who was 12 at the time. We were in the buggy and it was around Halloween time. We were just riding along talking through the very first hallway scene when the buggy did a turn to the right and someone in a full armor suit jumped at us and screamed....."

That happened to my boyfriend the first time he went to DL - probably about the same time, I'm guessing! How bizarre...