PDA

View Full Version : Rumors from Chip & Co.com [Rumors Merged]

buzz2001
04-06-2011, 02:48 PM
Hello, kids. Sorry it is so late but I have one humdinger of a rumor.

Wait. I don’t actually know what a humdinger is. Nevermind. This is huge, that’s all you need to know. We’re hearing a couple of shocking rumors about Disney resorts.

One, we’ve heard that Disney resort managers are being told that when the Art of Animation Resort opens next year late Spring/early summer 2012, Port Orleans Riverside will no longer accept groups of five. Instead, groups of five will have to book a deluxe resort or stay at one of the Animation Suites.

Next, we’re hearing that when the Animation Suites open, the entire Polynesian Resort will be closed. That’s right, I said closed. Something about asbestos and getting rid of it. Managers have been told that Saratoga Springs and Old Key West, resorts that rarely reach capacity, will handle those guests. We’ve heard that Downtown Disney is getting a new fireworks show to make this move more attractive for Saratoga Springs visitors.

Could it be true? I’m not exactly loving these rumors, but you have to admit they’re pretty delicious.
http://www.chipandco.com/2011/04/disney-confidential-major-resort-rumors/

GusMan
04-06-2011, 04:57 PM
There are major flaws to the rumors.... especially the ones related to SSR and OKW taking on the non-DVC load from a possibly closed Poly. I am sure that the members who have SSR and OKW as their home resort would start pitching a fit if they could not get a room at their 11 month mark because of an elevated cash ressie load.

Also, if they are not going to allow groups of 5 to stay at POR (Alligator Bayou section) then I guess they are going to have to take out the trundle beds. But limiting choices for families of 5 is almost counter-intuitive since they need MORE options, not fewer.

Asbestos? If that was ever an issue one would think that would have been taken care of during the last rehab or 2.

Should be interesting to see how all of this pans out, but I am doubtful.

Drince88
04-06-2011, 05:24 PM
Plus, I don't see Disney getting rid of the existing family suites in the All Stars.

mxrapu
04-06-2011, 07:07 PM
The asbestos rumor seemed fishy to me, also. Asbestos in buildings is only a health hazard if it is disturbed, such as through maintenance or rehab work. It would make no sense to close down an entire resort to remove asbestos unless there was also a major rehab needed--which would typically be done one building at a time.

GusMan
04-06-2011, 07:19 PM
It would make no sense to close down an entire resort to remove asbestos unless there was also a major rehab needed...
...especially since the Poly consists of seperate buildings. If this really was the case, and I agree that it seems fishy, they would not have to close down the entire resort. They would just have to work on the resort one building at a time.

Drince88
04-06-2011, 07:59 PM
Though I wouldn't be shocked if Riverside did remove the trundle beds when they switched over to queens.

cbarry
04-07-2011, 04:24 AM
I think leaving Riverside without the trundles is a bad idea. That virtually eliminates the moderates for a family of 5. (I still don't consider the Fort Wilderness cabins moderate, even though they are listed as such. When I'm thinking moderate, I'm thinking of the big 3 resorts, Port Orleans, Coronado and Caribbean.) Given the fact that they built the All Star suites and are now going to have suites at Animation, it seems like they want to have those options available for the families of 5, which we are by the way. Taking away an option at the mid range price point sounds like a bad business plan.

Can't imagine that the entire Poly would close at once either. The loss of revenue alone would drive the suits into fits. I'm sure they freak out when one building is closed never mind the whole resort. If there was that serious an asbestos problem, they'd be closed already.

GusMan
04-07-2011, 05:11 AM
Though I wouldn't be shocked if Riverside did remove the trundle beds when they switched over to queens.
Good point... didnt think of that. Adding queen beds would pretty much take up any extra room for a trundle config. Even then, I still have mixed feelings on removal of them as an option for a family of 5 who wants to stay in something above a Value, but cant afford a deluxe.

tappenfeat
04-07-2011, 05:17 AM
I'm still blinking my eyes in disbelief that they would close the Poly...give me a minute to recover.:|

Bubstress
04-07-2011, 07:02 AM
The asbestos rumor seemed fishy to me, also. Asbestos in buildings is only a health hazard if it is disturbed, such as through maintenance or rehab work. It would make no sense to close down an entire resort to remove asbestos unless there was also a major rehab needed--which would typically be done one building at a time.

I saw something like this on another site, it wasn't asbestos but mold between the walls. Plans are to tackle it one building at a time.

mxrapu
04-07-2011, 07:40 AM
I saw something like this on another site, it wasn't asbestos but mold between the walls. Plans are to tackle it one building at a time.

This would make a lot more sense.

CBFETT
04-07-2011, 11:38 AM
I think leaving Riverside without the trundles is a bad idea. That virtually eliminates the moderates for a family of 5. (I still don't consider the Fort Wilderness cabins moderate, even though they are listed as such. When I'm thinking moderate, I'm thinking of the big 3 resorts, Port Orleans, Coronado and Caribbean.) Given the fact that they built the All Star suites and are now going to have suites at Animation, it seems like they want to have those options available for the families of 5, which we are by the way. Taking away an option at the mid range price point sounds like a bad business plan.

Can't imagine that the entire Poly would close at once either. The loss of revenue alone would drive the suits into fits. I'm sure they freak out when one building is closed never mind the whole resort. If there was that serious an asbestos problem, they'd be closed already.

Another family of five here that thinks taking out the trundle beds from POR is a very bad idea!! This would eliminate the Moderate resorts for a family of five altogether. Now we have looked at the suites in the Value resorts and it would cost us more to stay there then at POR. And frankly, I like to stay at Moderates or Deluxe for what they provide. Now if it does come to this, it will be Deluxe stays from here out.

buzz2001
04-08-2011, 01:42 AM
Talking with people at the Polynesian, they say the rumor is false. They are not closing the whole resort and as far as they are concerned none of the longhouses are being torn down. I don’t believe the reports of asbestos in the rooms since they gutted the rooms in 2002 (as seen in the photo below) and removed everything even the floors. They would have had to put asbestos back into the rooms in 2002 for there to be a problem that needed to be removed now.

The only possible thing that I have heard is that the GCH has some major issues and might need to come down. They are trying to figure out the logistics of doing that and where to move the check-in and open up places like the old Tangaroa Terrace to serve food.

Also any rumors of DVC I am told are completely untrue. Disney decided years ago that there was not enough property at the resort to build DVC and taking out buildings to build bigger DVC rooms was not desirable.

Tikiman did say that GCH has major issues though and could be subject to demolition.

buzz2001
04-08-2011, 05:12 PM
Latest entry on Chipandco.com

Hey Guys and Gals Chip here…
I am please to report that that no good Anonymouse has had her computer taken away for spreading incorrect and outlandish rumors! On behalf of myself and the staff at C&C we apologize for providing you with incorrect information. She thought she had a reliable source for this rumor but like anything till Disney makes an announcement it is just a RUMOR.

dawz1026
04-09-2011, 06:10 AM
They must have read I was planning on booking the Poly :(

alex kirby
04-20-2011, 01:54 AM
i have heard that the polynesian is going to be totally redesigned and rebuilt:crying:

surely they won't????

Raven83
04-20-2011, 03:52 AM
I read somewhere else that this definitely was not the truth. The people at Disney said that it's completely false.

GusMan
04-20-2011, 04:07 AM
Alex, I merged your thread with one that has other Poly rumors.

alex kirby
04-21-2011, 02:06 AM
Thanks, im so glad these are only rumors although its such a shame they will be pulling down the GCH, I have been vissiting the poly for 31 years and the minute you walk in to the GCH on arrival it feels and smells like home!!! i hope they can repaire instead of demolish.

stan2u
04-21-2011, 03:08 PM
I read somewhere else that this definitely was not the truth. The people at Disney said that it's completely false.

So have you ever heard Disney say "yes, we heard that rumor, too, and it IS true"?