PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Resort to add RFID tags to cast member costumes

AVP
04-02-2011, 10:33 AM
Starting this Monday, the Disneyland Resort will sew Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) tags into all costume pieces at the Disneyland Resort, beginning with workers at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel. The process will continue through October, and will involve every costumed department, from parking lot to entertainment. Cast members are being asked to bring in every costume piece they have been issued so the tags can be added.

I've been told that this change is expected to make costume checkout process faster for workers, will allow Disney to remove the barcode from many costume pieces (which is definitely an improvement, as the white barcode tag is actually visible on some costume pieces unless extra care is taken to conceal it), and will allow "more accurate tracking of costume pieces." That could also mean more accurate tracking of cast members, who could at any time be wearing 6-12 pieces of Disney-issued, RFID-tagged clothing.

Edited to add: a spokesperson from Disney asked to clarify that Disney will only be using the RFID technology to manage costume inventory, not track the whereabouts of cast members.

As I wrote in this week's Disneyland Resort Update, I see this as just another sign of how much Disney is looking to incorporate both RFID and Near Field Communications (NFC) technology in their daily operations, including applications that relate directly to theme park visitors. Disney already issues room keys and wristbands to passengers on the Disney Cruise line, and there are many indications - including patent applications filed by Disney and in-park testing of new devices - that several of Disney's "Next Generation" tools rely on location-based, RFID and NFC technology.

As Disney continues to develop ways to utilize RFID and NFC technology to enhance the guest experience, what better way to test various applications than with cast members? Once this costume project is complete, Disney will plenty of data to collect and analyze, even if they are only doing so in aggregate.

AVP

Drince88
04-02-2011, 10:55 AM
That could also mean more accurate tracking of cast members, who could at any time be wearing 6-12 pieces of Disney-issued, RFID-tagged clothing.

That's kind of scary.

soccerlady16
04-02-2011, 03:44 PM
This got me thinking. If something like this was in place on the cruise ship would it have help find the missing CM? Maybe its too "big brother watching", but if it was optional to wear a GPS device while onboard I would probably do it.

Grandpa Louie
04-02-2011, 04:44 PM
Stay tuned for another go nowhere union lawsuit, the outcome of which will be on page A-37 next to a Jiffy Lube coupon.

QuiGonJ
04-02-2011, 06:47 PM
Yep...

California has a right to privacy explicitly listed in the State Constitution, but for the life of me, I can't see where it means anything outside the realm of reproductive rights.

olegc
04-03-2011, 01:51 PM
This got me thinking. If something like this was in place on the cruise ship would it have help find the missing CM? Maybe its too "big brother watching", but if it was optional to wear a GPS device while onboard I would probably do it.

not as much find them as notice they are missing... and it would have been noted faster. unless, of course, rfid readers are placed throughout all of the location.

kfreak
04-06-2011, 10:32 PM
The only problem with wearing a GPS device is that you need a decent signal for it to work. If you are below decks it would do nothing for you. RFID on the other hand is a great thing. Shipping companies use it to track merchandise all over the globe from a central location.

danyoung
04-11-2011, 12:30 PM
While I'd much prefer to work in an environment that trusted its employees, I can sure understand how Disney could benefit from this. It's not like they would be asking their employees to do something that they weren't hired for - just do their jobs and be in the places they're supposed to be. We have something similar here at the medical institution where I work for security. As they do their rounds they are required to swipe an ID card at card readers all around the campus. A computer printout can show which guards are making their proper rounds and which ones are sitting with their feet up watching TV. It's too bad that a system like this is necessary, but I guess it is for some companies.

CMHusband
04-13-2011, 08:27 PM
While I'd much prefer to work in an environment that trusted its employees, I can sure understand how Disney could benefit from this. It's not like they would be asking their employees to do something that they weren't hired for - just do their jobs and be in the places they're supposed to be. We have something similar here at the medical institution where I work for security. As they do their rounds they are required to swipe an ID card at card readers all around the campus. A computer printout can show which guards are making their proper rounds and which ones are sitting with their feet up watching TV. It's too bad that a system like this is necessary, but I guess it is for some companies.

This new device isn't to track employees. Its to make getting in and out of costuming faster and more efficient for Cast Members. My wife recently changed out some uniforms (Ok..."costumes") for some new ones and she said it was faster and she was in and out in a jiffy.

They have time clocks, leads and managers to "track" where staff are or supposed to be. If they really wanted to track "people" they could put the RFID readers in the CM ID cards. Not the uniforms - Pants, shirts, jacket, hat, etc, etc, etc...it would be easier and cheaper to do it once. NOT in every article of clothing.

danyoung
04-14-2011, 05:39 AM
Understood. I was just responding to the ideas being presented in this thread. Good to hear that there are no current plans to electronically track CMs.

Wavesprite1
04-22-2011, 07:05 AM

As someone who works in Security (administration) for a hospital, the reason that they are swiping and tracking is not to see who is sitting with their feet up. It's to show that Security was at a certain location when say a crime was being commited somewhere else on property. Let's say that a rape occurs at building B, it can show in court that Security had just left the building 15 minutes earlier. It protects the company from liability of not securing property.

Wizard69
04-23-2011, 01:09 PM
I think the RFID is for both purposes although Disney would deny tracking CMs