PDA

View Full Version : No more photos on AP's at Disneyland

Pages : [1] 2 3

CMHusband
04-02-2011, 09:50 AM
Starting April 6th, Disneyland is eliminating the photos on AP's. You still need a picture in the system so they can look at you as you go through the turn styles, FUN FACT...If you buy your AP online, you can upload your own picture. If you buy your pass at the park, I guess you still have to go to the AP center and have your photo taken (unless it's on file)

Drince88
04-02-2011, 09:56 AM
I'd think they'd install biometrics BEFORE they eliminate the photo...

And even if you have a photo on file, you still have to go to the AP center to get a premier.

At least now I won't get super funny looks from CMs who "can't handle" not having my photo on the pass when I use it for a discount!

AVP
04-02-2011, 10:09 AM
Fun, but not *entirely* fact. ;) New passholders will not have photos on their APs, this is true. *Some* APs will be selected to participate in a trial program in which they can upload a photo of themselves from home, and that photo will be the one that displays on the turnstile screen as they enter the park. The rest of the APs will be directed to go to the AP processing center to have a photo taken. As APs expire and are renewed over the next 12 months, you'll be issued the new version without a photo.

If my experience as a Premier passholder is any indication of what you should expect from this new policy, you should be prepared to show your photo ID now whenever you want to receive a "perk or discount" with your pass, including parking.

The change allows Disney to print the AP at the ticket booths, which means no more "take this voucher to the processing center" stuff. Since David Koenig reported last week (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/entry.php?835-Supercalifragi-delicious-New-Bakery) that Disney is looking to turn the Plaza Pavilion into a bakery, they're going to need that space back.

AVP

adriennek
04-02-2011, 10:15 AM
If my experience as a Premier passholder is any indication of what you should expect from this new policy, you should be prepared to show your photo ID now whenever you want to receive a "perk or discount" with your pass, including parking.

I cannot TELL you how happy I am that I got a new AP with my picture on it last week. Having to pull out my ID everytime I used my Premier pass was a ROYAL PITB. Royal. $2 off my lunch. Needed to show an AP. For 2 bucks off a meal.

PITB.

Seashellmama
04-02-2011, 10:49 AM
What does this mean for kids with annual passes but no ID. Are they able to use the discount? (It is possible for a child with an annual pass to be at the park with adults who don't have one).

soccerlady16
04-02-2011, 03:50 PM
The change allows Disney to print the AP at the ticket booths, which means no more "take this voucher to the processing center" stuff. Since David Koenig reported last week (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/entry.php?835-Supercalifragi-delicious-New-Bakery) that Disney is looking to turn the Plaza Pavilion into a bakery, they're going to need that space back.

AVP

What do u mean? My sis received her AP at the ticket booth (yesterday) with her picture on it. No need to go to processing center

CMHusband
04-02-2011, 04:08 PM
What do u mean? My sis received her AP at the ticket booth (yesterday) with her picture on it. No need to go to processing center

If you are renewing a pass, they can print it at the ticket booths with your old photo. But they don't take photos at booths, so if you are getting a new pass (first timer) then you still have to go to the AP center for your photo to be taken. I think this may get phased out eventually. As AVP said they are doing a trial where some folks can upload pictures from home. I know they want to close Pavillion AP and make it into a restaurant, and they want to close DCA AP for construction.

ShelbyH
04-02-2011, 09:01 PM
Interesting! Knott's already does this. I am wondering why there's no biometrics though. I would think that would be even more foolproof than a CM visual look-see.

heatherya
04-02-2011, 09:09 PM
so here's my question...we had DAP's that expired in october (dd's expired in feb when she turned 4), and we're going to get new ones in may...we shouldn't need to take new pictures since they had them on file when we got the previous ones (after letting those lapse as well). will we have pictures on the new ones or not? just curious...

Mermaid
04-03-2011, 06:35 AM
Hmmm.... I'm getting an AP next weekend. Do I still go to the PP for now to upgrade from my hopper? I plan on doing this on Saturday when I happen to walk by and see a short line, so I guess I'll see how it works getting the discounts and/or how informed the restaurant CMs are. Side note- are they still offering merchandise discounts with a DAP?

CMHusband
04-03-2011, 08:34 AM
so here's my question...we had DAP's that expired in october (dd's expired in feb when she turned 4), and we're going to get new ones in may...we shouldn't need to take new pictures since they had them on file when we got the previous ones (after letting those lapse as well). will we have pictures on the new ones or not? just curious...

No more photos will be printed on the passes after April 6th. The photos they have on file will be okay to use moving forward unless you WANT to take a new picture.

CMHusband
04-03-2011, 08:35 AM
Hmmm.... I'm getting an AP next weekend. Do I still go to the PP for now to upgrade from my hopper? I plan on doing this on Saturday when I happen to walk by and see a short line, so I guess I'll see how it works getting the discounts and/or how informed the restaurant CMs are. Side note- are they still offering merchandise discounts with a DAP?

yep

soccerlady16
04-03-2011, 10:44 AM
If you are renewing a pass, they can print it at the ticket booths with your old photo. But they don't take photos at booths, so if you are getting a new pass (first timer) then you still have to go to the AP center for your photo to be taken. I think this may get phased out eventually. As AVP said they are doing a trial where some folks can upload pictures from home. I know they want to close Pavillion AP and make it into a restaurant, and they want to close DCA AP for construction.

i see. so they want to eliminate the processing centers altogether

jamwilson
04-03-2011, 01:35 PM
I just purchased a Premier AP in Florida with no picture on the card. Their turnstiles are not even manned by a human. It's just 1 of those machines you put your card in a slot & it pops out at a different slot. They were using fingerprint technology ~ or so you thought, sometimes it required your finger to scan, sometimes you just walked through without your fingerprint. I only had to put my finger on at 1 park & then couldn't remember which finger I used so I don't think it really works.
Do you think Disneyland will go to these type of entry machines? I kind of enjoyed seeing cast member at the entry & my picture pop up on the screen.

Also, Disneyland's AP program is far superior to Florida's! They have very few discounts at restaurants. One waitress said she gets many complaints about the Florida program from people who are used to California's. When I was able to use it for a discount, no one ever asked for ID.

olegc
04-03-2011, 01:56 PM
i think this as well allows Disneyland to control fraud in some cases so you can't "look like someone" and get when in fact you don't know what the picture looks like on the card - because there isn't one. I think this case may be rare - but it's probably happening once in a while. I was wondering if Disney thinks they can't keep pictures on cards for some reason (need to hold info, public display, etc.) or in fact does Legal think they require someone to show a true photo ID issues by a government agency instead of themselves... Interesting since BofA (or some other large bank) issues the credit cards with your photo on them.

adriennek
04-03-2011, 02:05 PM
Also, Disneyland's AP program is far superior to Florida's! They have very few discounts at restaurants. One waitress said she gets many complaints about the Florida program from people who are used to California's. When I was able to use it for a discount, no one ever asked for ID.

Having had the Premier Pass at Disneyland for a year, I can tell you that it was a PITB.

Adrienne

houseofmouse
04-03-2011, 02:17 PM
seriously though, what about kids? My middle son is 14 but does not have an ID, say he wants to eat one place and myself another? We did this last summer. Will they give discounts to kids without an ID?

Drince88
04-03-2011, 03:15 PM
I'm not at DL as much as AVP or Adriennek, but I never had to show my ID with the premier (note how I'm now jinxing myself for the trip next weekend :rolleyes:)

There ARE CMs at the turnstyles in WDW, just that one CM handles more than one gate. I generally notice that the biometrics aren't used first thing in the morning (and they use them for ALL MYW ticket, not just APs), my theory is that they just want to get people into the parks and the biometrics slow things down. I always thought that DL 'overmanned' the turnstyles after I'd been to WDW a few times inbetween DL visits! And yes, the discounts at WDW are quite a bit 'lighter' - but they do have the TIW card which works well for me.

CMHusband
04-03-2011, 06:51 PM
i think this as well allows Disneyland to control fraud in some cases so you can't "look like someone" and get when in fact you don't know what the picture looks like on the card - because there isn't one. I think this case may be rare - but it's probably happening once in a while. I was wondering if Disney thinks they can't keep pictures on cards for some reason (need to hold info, public display, etc.) or in fact does Legal think they require someone to show a true photo ID issues by a government agency instead of themselves... Interesting since BofA (or some other large bank) issues the credit cards with your photo on them.

Moving forward, The pass you buy will remain with you each year as you renew. This will cut down on huge printing costs. As you upgrade, add parking etc these features will all be posted to your bar code.

By having the guests upload their own photos online, they can close down the AP centers altogether saving the space and the CM labor involved. PLUS - They have added the photo-pass feature to your AP as well, so they will save even more money by not handing out a million photo-pass cards that most likely just get thrown away. This change will save hundreds of thousands of $$$ in my estimation and be easier to manage for everyone.

cstephens
04-03-2011, 06:53 PM
Moving forward, The pass you buy will remain with you each year as you renew. This will cut down on huge printing costs. As you upgrade, add parking etc these features will all be posted to your bar code.

But wouldn't that mean the expiration date wouldn't be printed on your AP, so you wouldn't know what your expiration date is?

AVP
04-03-2011, 07:47 PM
But wouldn't that mean the expiration date wouldn't be printed on your AP, so you wouldn't know what your expiration date is?Yes, but if Disney implements the rumored move from an "Annual" pass to a perpetual passholder membership, your card might not have an expiration date anyway.

AVP

adriennek
04-03-2011, 10:03 PM
Yes, but if Disney implements the rumored move from an "Annual" pass to a perpetual passholder membership, your card might not have an expiration date anyway.

Hence the "monthly payments" - perpetual monthly payments that never end unless you tell them to stop them??

AVP
04-03-2011, 10:07 PM
Hence the "monthly payments" - perpetual monthly payments that never end unless you tell them to stop them??In Disney's dream world, yes.

olegc
04-03-2011, 10:19 PM
Yes, but if Disney implements the rumored move from an "Annual" pass to a perpetual passholder membership, your card might not have an expiration date anyway.

AVP

that would also mean that Disney would change the way they assign ID numbers. I just renewed 2 weeks ago, and again (as in every year) the first 5 numbers were changed on my ID card (it could be 8 numbers but the last three have been zeros for a while). I always thought they should go with one single account ID number (and I guess its there) to create and manage different marketing programs to certain kinds of pass holders. Now, if they neve have to renew the card unless its damaged or stolen (like a costco card) they would also have to change their registration system to modify the complete ID numbers assigned to the card. So - yes on saving on printing costs for cards, etc (which in the hundreds of thousands they do annually, you'd think they would find a way to negotiate lower prices) but they would also have to change the way they assign IDs and track them (of course, this assume I am right on them using the entire number sequence on the card).

either way - there is good and bad in it. I wonder, of course, is the next move to make it a complete charge card in partnership with Visa, etc. giving you the option (like a costco Amex card). of course that would mean managing two programs... oh the decisions to make ;-)

fairestoneofall
04-04-2011, 08:09 AM
I upgraded to a Premier last month, so my pass is now without a photo. I was at the DLR all weekend and not once was I asked for my ID for a discount. I had it and was ready to whip it out, but I never needed to.