PDA

View Full Version : Welcome card - why now?

potzbie
03-31-2011, 11:22 AM
In today's mail (Thur. March 31, 2011), I got a generic "Welcome" card from Disneyland, addressed to Annual Passholders.
Q. Why now?

I had renewed (downgraded) my AP in December, a week or two after it had officially lapsed.
So a 90 day "gap" between "joining" (actually, renewing) vs. getting a "welcome" card strikes me as a bit out of kilter.

Q. Anyone else get this "Welcome" generic AP card?
Q. Any theories regarding 'why now'?

If there was "theme" or an "emphasis" for the card, it had in bold print the web site, Disneyland.com/AP.

No coupon. No discount. No new ride openings.
Just a mention of "Backstage Pass" ("official AP magazine") and "AP Extra" "e-newsletter".

AVP
03-31-2011, 11:23 AM
I just got mine yesterday too, after renewing my AP in December. I just think their "planned communication" schedule is wonky.

AVP

KarenW2
03-31-2011, 11:33 AM
We also got the "Welcome" card in the mail yesterday and the first thing my hubby said was, "Wow! This is really late getting here, we renewed in December!".

I thought maybe there would be a coupon or something inside, but there wasn't one is ours either.

houseofmouse
03-31-2011, 11:40 AM
A coupon, I giggle at that! Seems there is no bonus anymore for renewing or even getting an AP anymore, other than the discount on food. In 2006 they had a deal where AP's could buy a 2 day hopper for a guest at the price of a one day. :) That was in December too. Please don't say well Ap's can go anytime they want, because I live in CO. :)

When I got my AP last May, my welcome card came in June. I think there are just so many people it takes a long time to get them all out.

Drince88
03-31-2011, 11:43 AM
I purchased my AP in February and got my welcome (from DL) yesterday. (No welcome from WDW, yet - with the Premier.)

cstephens
03-31-2011, 12:54 PM
A coupon, I giggle at that!

The normal coupon would be kind of useless with the extended AP merchandise discounts they've been offering for the last year or so. We used to save our two discount coupons from renewals for when we made big purchases, but we haven't had to use one in a while because they keep extending the special discount.

dlfansx4
03-31-2011, 03:14 PM
Yeah, I love the inconsistency of the coupon. I haven't gotten them the past couple of years. Well, this year I decided to upgrade to the premium pass (so that I wouldn't have to have DD buy everything with hers) and what do I get when I renew three of our passes.....THREE 20% off coupons :rolleyes:

Had I know they would do that, I would have kept my Deluxe pass, LOL.

olegc
03-31-2011, 04:36 PM
I just got mine yesterday too, after renewing my AP in December. I just think their "planned communication" schedule is wonky.

AVP

THAT has been true for more than 5 years. Seems like the print folks just can't seem to stay current with everyone else. I know they sent a tweet yesterday or today about getting an annual pass - so maybe it's simply a "reminder" piece of marketing . You know - keep us at the top of your memory for things to do -

Grandpa Louie
04-01-2011, 08:00 AM
Disneyland annual passholders can go to the Park on any day that isn't blocked out.

bennette
04-01-2011, 08:01 AM
Last year we got four copies of the AP magazine in one week. (Two for each of us). One set had a "we miss you; please come back" message on it somewhere.

We'd renewed two months prior! No lapse betwen passes, even.

Grandpa Louie
04-02-2011, 04:49 PM
The wife got an annual pass for her December birthday, a welcome card showed up today. Don't really see the need to take exception or be offended by it, though.

QuiGonJ
04-02-2011, 06:44 PM
I got my PAP in January, the card on Thursday, I think.

Sleeping Beauty's mom
04-02-2011, 10:19 PM
DD renewed her pass in Feb, and just got one in the mail today. I was thinking what the heck?? Thanks for answering the question !

Drince88
04-03-2011, 05:18 AM
Don't really see the need to take exception or be offended by it, though.
I think people are just commenting that it seems like somewhat random timing. Maybe I'm not reading in between the lines, but I don't see any offense being taken.

Grandpa Louie
04-03-2011, 05:15 PM
Slow news day.

cstephens
04-03-2011, 05:24 PM
Don't really see the need to take exception or be offended by it, though.

Many people are amused by little things. I don't really see the need to read negative things into it where none exist.

Slow news day.

This isn't a NEWS site. This is a DISCUSSION forum. You know, where people discuss things that interest them. If I'm also interested, I join in. If not, I just stay out of the discussion.

bennette
04-03-2011, 05:27 PM
Totally off topic but love your new avatar cstephens!

Grandpa Louie
04-03-2011, 05:33 PM
Many people are amused by little things. I don't really see the need to read negative things into it where none exist.

This isn't a NEWS site. This is a DISCUSSION forum. You know, where people discuss things that interest them. If I'm also interested, I join in. If not, I just stay out of the discussion.

"Disneyland Resort News and Current Events"

Malcon10t
04-03-2011, 05:40 PM
"Disneyland Resort News and Current Events"This is something currently happening, so it is a "Current event".

cstephens, I like the new avatar too!

ANd on topic, my mom renewed in Nov and got her welcome card in March, she was wondering if something happened to her AP. I explained their timing isn't always the best.

Andrew
04-05-2011, 10:02 AM
I just received the "welcome" card yesterday. My AP expired and renewed in December. Strange.

Malcon10t
04-09-2011, 05:34 PM
My son reupped his AP early Dec. Got his welcome card last week...

jananafish
04-15-2011, 04:55 PM
Slow news day.

lol