PDA

View Full Version : Six-Shooter in Frontierland...

mikeksjca
05-17-2003, 01:48 PM
I am trying to find the history of a ‘hidden’ item in Disneyland. In 1989 or 1990 I was at the park with a friend and in talking with a CM we learned about hidden Mickey’s. From that point forward the rest of our visit was spent searching for hidden Mickey’s and learning some of the secret lore of the park. Many CM’s were helpful and informative. One CM told us how to find a six-shooter in Frontierland. Sure enough we found it. I may have the location wrong (it might have been over by the Mexican restaurant.) However, if my recollection is correct it was on a wall between the Golden Horseshoe and the River Belle Terrace (?) restaurant. This area between the two places (at least by my recollection at the time) was sort of a dead zone, a walkway along the Rivers of America, seating for the restaurant and backstage access doors. Time period lamps ran along the wood wall. Each lamp was held or suspended by an ornate right angle bracket, except for one – where instead of a bracket there was a revolver acting as the bracket with a working light fixture welded on.

You wouldn’t notice it casually passing by, but once you knew what to look for it stuck out. I went back years later and it was gone.

My question is – does anyone know the history of the six-shooter? Does anyone have pictures they would be willing to share? What happened to the six-shooter?

I appreciate any information, my memory as to its location and exact description are fuzzy.

Thanks,

Mike Kemmerrer
San Jose, CA

Lost Boy
05-17-2003, 04:00 PM
I remember seeing that a long time ago. It just dissapeared after one of the rehab/repaints of that area. I wonder why? It was kind of neat.

There used to be so much neat stuff packed into the shops in Adventureland that are all gone now. I remember at the back of one store there used to be maps, licence plates and all kinds of things from the 1930's and a lot of stuff tied into The Jungle Cruise with flyers, maps and ads for the cruise into the Congo and other Rivers. You could spend hours in that place looking at all the stuff, and now it's all gone thanks to the re-do of all those stores.

Anyone remember the wonderful huge poster on the wall above the plush island at the back area of the connection area between the Emporium and the toy/book portion and the New Century Clock store that pictures the Emporium through the years with it's founder, a Mr. Walter E. Disney on the poster? I just thought that was so neat with the founding date of 1910 and Walt's portrait just added a detail to the store, and the leaded crystal windows along the sides that also are now gone when somebody decided that a circus theme would be better in that area. I think it just cheapened the whole thing. It's like sometimes they make a concerted effort to take away anything having Walt Disney on it, while at the same time playing up how much Walt Disney means to the company! Kind of two faced don't you think?:~)