PDA

View Full Version : Emporium closed?

cookie7762
03-22-2011, 12:05 PM
This weeks park update had a photo of the emporium all wrapped up for refurb. It was on the refurb list, though. What is the current status? Ii'm going next week and this kinda ruins my picturesque main street!

cstephens
03-22-2011, 02:22 PM
This weeks park update had a photo of the emporium all wrapped up for refurb. It was on the refurb list, though. What is the current status? Ii'm going next week and this kinda ruins my picturesque main street!

The Emporium is open while they're working on the outside. The wrapping looks like the outside of the building so it won't be quite as noticeable in pictures as if they'd just put up blank coverings.

Wendy Bird
03-22-2011, 03:44 PM
how long does it take for painting refurbs to be done?

CMHusband
03-23-2011, 08:41 PM
The company I work for printed the graphics that are hanging on the scaffolding. I heard it will be up for 8 weeks.

Sansarc
03-28-2011, 08:59 PM
Eight weeks . . . starting from when?!!!! At least it's open. I'd be crushed if I couldn't go shopping there next month during my 1-day visit!

Karin
04-05-2011, 07:24 AM
IMHO, while the graphics look like the buildings, they are no substitute for the actual building for picture-taking purposes. You'll totally be able to tell it's not the real building. It looks like a scaffolding cover. No offense intended, CMHusband.

danyoung
04-05-2011, 09:30 AM
Of course no one would mistake the tarps for the real thing. But I think it's wonderful that Disney goes to this effort to minimize the negative impact on the guests.

fairestoneofall
04-05-2011, 04:02 PM
It looks like it's covered in a giant canvas with the Emporium painted on it. It's VERY noticeable, but less of an eye sore than the green construction walls. The store appeared to be open though. We never went in, but we shopped just about every other store in DL last weekend.

MammaSilva
04-07-2011, 07:03 AM
The Emporium is open but instead of having several options to exit out onto Main Street there are exactly 2, the one nearest the Firehouse and then the one by the plush section, you can still walk thru and go into the other areas and exit out by the Carnation Cafe area/bathroom area and all the registers were being manned when we were there.

Tinkermommy
04-10-2011, 09:50 AM
The company I work for printed the graphics that are hanging on the scaffolding. I heard it will be up for 8 weeks.

CMHusband, thought you'd like to know that when we walked in yesterday, the teenagers in our group thought the wrapping on the Emporium was very cool. They were most impressed.

(And someone in our group mentioned they thought it was a MUCH better idea than the cover they put in front of the castle in preparation for the 50th anniversary!)

ShelbyH
04-11-2011, 09:29 AM
I agree with Tinkermommy. Nobody wants to have to be there during a refurb, but nobody wants crappy looking stores and attractions either. On the whole, given bare scaffolding or the painted tarp, I think the painted tarp is a really great idea. No, it's not fooling anyone, but it's a nice attempt to at least make construction look as pretty as possible.

I will say that when we went on Friday, it was massively windy and they did take the tarp down, so having seen both the bare scaffolding and the tarp, I'll take the tarp any day.

Karin
04-12-2011, 06:37 AM
But I think it's wonderful that Disney goes to this effort to minimize the negative impact on the guests.

Agreed.

but less of an eye sore than the green construction walls. The store appeared to be open though.

Agreed.

so having seen both the bare scaffolding and the tarp, I'll take the tarp any day.

Agreed.

cstephens
05-01-2011, 09:44 AM
The scaffolding from the Emporium has been completely removed.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/large/288372880.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1304271894&Signature=j5Ngio03X%2BW9XEmKxat9PzmUu5c%3D

mousecanuck
05-05-2011, 04:36 PM
There was 'building wrap' at the entrance to Magic Kingdom, too, when we were there. It's kind of neat, but it definitely wasn't good in my picture, I wound up cropping it out!