PDA

View Full Version : Bank One vs. Union Bank of California

tvjames
05-16-2003, 12:36 AM
My wife and I are second year Deluxe Passholders. We even went so far as to get an account at Union Bank of California so that we could get money at both parks and on the plaza without having to pay ATM fees since Union Bank of California was the ATM provider.

Well, we were pretty excited when we got our Bank One Disney VISA card. And while I guess it makes sense, deal-wise, we were pretty dismayed this past weekend when we realized all the Union Bank of California ATMs were gone, replaced with Bank One ATMs.

Bank One has no branches in this state. So, it's a pretty smart deal for them. Except for select travellers who come in from out of state, they're bound to collect a lot more in ATM fees.

But I was wondering... does this affect DLR employees as well? I would assume with ATMs so close, some employees chose to bank with Union Bank of California as well.

Bad business planning, if you ask me.

(If nothing else, at least the ATMs in DCA were at least themed with a California bank.)

MonorailMan
05-16-2003, 04:41 AM
It annoys me too!

I am a UBOC ATM holder, and I'm not forking over the 3.50 (2 for UB, 1.50 for BO). :mad:

SoCalDisneyLover
05-16-2003, 05:45 AM
That was my first thought also. But there is a way around the transaction fee if you're willing to do a little bit of work.

You can go to the Bank One website and open an account online. You then must either transfer the money into the account, or mail in a check. The account does provide an ATM card, and the # of monthly transactions allowed varies depending upon which account you select.

Just wanted people to know that it is possible to get a Bank One account even though they don't have branches in So Cal.

sm_cm
05-16-2003, 06:33 PM
As a cast member, I'm not affected by the on stage ATM's. Backstage the only ATM's you will find belong to the Company's Credit Union.

disguy
05-16-2003, 06:50 PM
We were very close to getting a Union Bank card so we don't get charged for using the ATM there but now, I can't belive how much they charge for the ATM reminds of the days of Wells Fargo in the bank (I think it was wells Fargo???)

EandCDad
05-16-2003, 07:33 PM
While its less convienent, you can do two things. Get money before you come or use a check or debit type card. We are very much check card type people these days.

Andrew
05-16-2003, 07:53 PM
Ways of avoiding the Disney ATM fees:
1. Get an account with a bank that rebates third-party ATM fees. USAA (http://www.usaa.com/) is one such, if you qualify for membership.
2. Use a credit or check card to buy Disney Dollars at most of the shops in the park. You can exchange unused Disney Dollars for cash on your way out, or save them for your next trip.
3. Find your bank on this list (http://ypng.infospace.com/_1_26UUUFO02RMNH53__info.zip/ypv3/list.htm?qb=6021AB071A2&xmlurl=http%3A%2F%2Fyp106.superpages.com%2Fxml%2Fs pPage.phtml%3FCID%3D6021AB071A2%26RR%3D5%26C%3Dban ks%26PG%3DL%26RT%3DAnaheim%26RLT%3D33813991%26RLO% 3D117915367%26RS%3Dca%26RE%3D1313%2BHarbor%2BBlvd% 26STYPE%3DD%26R%3DD%26SRC%3DInfospace%26MC%3D1%26P I%3D1&kcfg=ypus&ypinsp=0&resolve=location&searchtype=all&fromform=near&qb=6021AB071A2&qh=Banks&wqhqn=1&qhqn=banks&qa=1313+Harbor+Blvd&qc=Anaheim&qs=ca&qlat=6021AB071A2&RR&qlong=6021AB071A2&RR&qdist=5&qk=15&recid=Banks&top=internal) of banks within five miles of the Resort (and hit the ATM beforehand!).

DLanddrew
05-18-2003, 12:23 AM
The CMs have it really good--all of the Partners Credit Union ATMs backstage (and I think there are like 20) don't surcharge anyone. Plus they give you instant credit for ATM deposits. One of the awseome benefits of working for DL!

tvjames
05-18-2003, 01:41 PM
Yeah, I did get a nice email back from Bank One explaining those options, too, and may go that route.

I am glad to know the DL employees weren't affected by it.

I would never bother with going to an ATM near the park because I have my own offramp (well, it feels like mine) coming off the 5 south right into Mickey and Friends. (I love that!)

I will probably end up closing the UBOC and getting a Bank One account and ATM card. It's nice having a separate little "Disneyland" bank account... put some in every so often, take a little bit out when at the park. Gives us a little play money without having to budget for it.

JeffG
05-19-2003, 09:20 AM
They don't publicize this much, but you can usually get them to cash a personal check for up to $50 at the bank on Main Street or at Guest Relations in DCA. I've found that the CMs don't always know they are allowed to do this, though, so you may need to ask for a manager if they refuse initially.

-Jeff