PDA

View Full Version : Would Disney ever consider updating Fantasyland?

Pages : [1] 2 3

acer
03-20-2011, 01:50 PM
With everything in the park constantly updating, I'm if Disneyland would ever consider updating their Fantasyland rides.. Now don't get me wrong, I love these rides, but I'm thinking kids are having a hard time identifying with these old movies/rides. I know my niece/nephews do, and they love Disney stuff. Maybe every generation should have their own Fantasyland.

So just to throw my train of thought out there:

Here are the rides I think should change
1. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
2. P's Daring Journey
3. Snow White's Scar Adventure
4. Peter Pan's Flight
(I'd leave Alice in Wonderland for a little while longer)

And maybe base a ride on these movies:

1. THE LION KING!!!
2. Aladdin
3. Beauty and the Beast (not sure how good a ride that would make..)
4. Toy story (another ride..?)
5. Any other ideas??

Just throwing an idea out there. What do you guys think??

Grandpa Louie
03-20-2011, 02:17 PM
With everything in the park constantly updating, I'm if Disneyland would ever consider updating their Fantasyland rides.. Now don't get me wrong, I love these rides, but I'm thinking kids are having a hard time identifying with these old movies/rides. I know my niece/nephews do, and they love Disney stuff. Maybe every generation should have their own Fantasyland.

1. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
2. P's Daring Journey
4. Peter Pan's Flight

1. THE LION KING!!!
2. Aladdin
5. Any other ideas??

That sounds like a commendable idea, you should build your own theme park. As for the Park's Fantasyland, it's fine just the way it is.

Bytebear
03-20-2011, 02:20 PM
The only things I want changed is to restore Alice in Wonderland back to before all the "safety" rails were added. Also, I would like to see Snow White have a more complete story.

I do like the idea of two Dumbos like they are planning for WDW, but there just isn't room.

Grandpa Louie
03-20-2011, 02:54 PM
Bring back the Welch's grape juice stand.

cstephens
03-20-2011, 03:23 PM
Now don't get me wrong, I love these rides, but I'm thinking kids are having a hard time identifying with these old movies/rides.

I think it's a bad idea to throw out the old for the new. They're classics for a reason. If the kids today aren't "connecting" with the older films, it just means to me that the parents aren't making enough effort to familiarize their kids with the classic Disney animated films that made them what they are today.

IllusionOfLife
03-20-2011, 03:53 PM
I don't think so, with the exception of Snow White's Scary Adventures all the classic Fantasyland Dark Rides still generate large crowds after all these years, there's still an audience who connects with these attractions in a big way and I think it would be a mistake to throw them out.

On the other hand, I think a Lion King ride would be really cool, and I've roughed out a concept for a Great Movie Ride caliber Dark Ride based on that film, but I wouldn't replace anything in Fantasyland with it (besides, Lion King's a bit more Adventureland oriented anyway).

I'd be up for an expansion of Fantasyland, doing more with the Fantasyland Theater, Motor Boat Cruise, and part of the Autopia space (with the other part being used for part of a Tomorrowland expansion), but no, I wouldn't replace any of the existing Dark Rides.

dlander
03-20-2011, 04:42 PM
I think Disney would be making a huge mistake by replacing the Dark Rides. They are classics and by changing them they would be upsetting numerous people. As far as connecting to the newer generation, right across from Disneyland is CA that is in the process of building Cars Land, Little Mermaid, and already have a Monsters Inc. ride. Just my personal opinion.

Drince88
03-20-2011, 04:54 PM

I'd rather they brought back the Chicken of the Sea restaurant.

The old man
03-20-2011, 06:29 PM
At last, an agreement between the two old men.

acer
03-20-2011, 07:10 PM
well the question was if Disneyland would ever condiser it, I guess the answer for most would be no. :p

olegc
03-20-2011, 07:21 PM
the other thing to consider is this... not only would you remove the rides, now you would probably need to remove a lot of references to the characters in and around the shops too. need to make space for those.

Aladdin is already represented as a character in Adventureland (while no ride, he is there). Lion King would probably have that same issue. Remember - the whole idea of Fantasyland is that it is based on the architecture of a European village behind a castle - and all those stories still do connect as mentioned. it's not simply a set of boxed rooms where the interiors are set up for each attraction. TOy Story has representation in several lands (and DCA). and more is coming.

I am curious why you would think Alice needs to stay? is it because of the Depp version? if so, there is no real connection between the two depictions and I think the only ones making any connection are the tweens up to adults who wonder why Depp is not placed in the attraction (because it's Walt Disney's Alice, not Tim Burton's Alice).

Any land can use some changes and additions but the only one this flies with is Toad - although it's still one of my favorites and you can't ride it at any other theme park (I think HK did not install). The remainder all still generate huge buzz with young and old alike.

nowen1
03-21-2011, 01:59 PM
they could add those rides in an expansion or something like that, but they will never change all those rides that are icons in the Disney universe. One or two may be changed but there would be such a back lash it would make the dust up about the new characters in small world seem like nothing.

Lilo143stitch
03-21-2011, 02:58 PM
no thank you! Fantasyland is perfect as is. Especially the thought of no Peter Pan... that ride always has a line!

Grandpa Louie
03-21-2011, 03:32 PM
I'd rather they brought back the Chicken of the Sea restaurant.

Bring both of them back.

Memo to you Skywayphiles: That one ain't coming back.

DaDuckFan1955
03-21-2011, 03:44 PM

1. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
2. P's Daring Journey
4. Peter Pan's Flight

1. THE LION KING!!!
2. Aladdin
5. Any other ideas??

Actually in 1984 they upgraded Fantasyland
http://garycarter.smugmug.com/Theme-Park-Disneyland-to-1996/Disneyland-CA-1982-to-1996/4309777_ssSVw#257367365_2rxuf

MusicalMouse
03-21-2011, 06:34 PM

1. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
2. P's Daring Journey
4. Peter Pan's Flight

1. THE LION KING!!!
2. Aladdin
5. Any other ideas??

Keep it how it is!! I see what you're saying but please keep it the same. I'm seventeen and I know my age range still resonates with all the rides with the exception of Mr. Toad. But still, to replace him would be replacing an attraction that I know and love even if I've never even seen the movie. But to get ride or Peter Pan especially! Snow White is a classic so that should never go. I could eventually see Pinocchio go but once again, to see any of these go would be heartbreaking!

Mouseketeer1955
03-21-2011, 08:13 PM

1. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
2. P's Daring Journey
4. Peter Pan's Flight

1. THE LION KING!!!
2. Aladdin
5. Any other ideas??

They have a Toy Story attraction at DCA, Ariel's Adventure is being built as I'm typing this, and Car's Land is in the works.

My grandkids can identify with the old movies because they've watched them and like them. Let me also add that an attraction doesn't have to be a ride to be enjoyed, case in point is the ongoing Aladdin presentation that's been at the Hyperion theatre since DCA opened. As for any other changes, you could always write to the powers that be in the Disney Company and let them take it from there. I know I've had some influence in the past. I was looking for Mickey Mouse in a kilt with bagpipes, and I wanted it on the face of a watch. When I asked, they didn't have one, but they do now.:D

MadasaHatter
03-21-2011, 09:35 PM
Great Topic! Always fun.

OK, Walt always said that Disneyland is always changing so I will jump in on the spirit of that!

Here is my mad two cents worth.

Mr. Toad is my favorite ride! Please don't change it. And the WIND IN THE WILLOWS IS A CLASSIC and shame on you all if you haven't read it....oops....I have never read it....OK off to the library (I have read excerpts but never the full book)

Get rid of ALICE IN WONDERLAND???? Don't let's be silly!

Also those two are ONLY in Disneyland so they should have immunity....

PETER PAN is always popular....I keep saying do an ALADDIN ride just the same on magic carpets flying off the balcony and around the WHOLE NEW WORLD....but put it in Adventureland where the Aladdin meet n greet is.

Personally I would love to see SNOW WHITE and PINOCCHIO changed up. I like them but not my favorites....I would say to keep the theming in the the fairytale village AND the no brainers would be BEAUTY AND THE BEAST and TANGLED. Those would be my top two choices for Disney movies turned into dark rides.

But then again....I could be wrong...
After all I am mad.....

PS Don't even THINK of touching those tea cups!!!

ShelbyH
03-21-2011, 10:49 PM
Bring both of them back.

Memo to you Skywayphiles: That one ain't coming back.

Ah, the Skyway. The true tragedy of Disneyland upgrades :(

ShelbyH
03-21-2011, 10:53 PM
Given the number of little girls I see walked around in Snow White and Alice costumes, and the occasional boy in a Peter Pan or Captain Hook outfit, I'd say those movies are alive and well in children's minds. I would like to see the original intentioned ending of Snow White's Scary Adventure implemented, but otherwise, leave everything as-is.

I don't see any reason why a Lion King or Aladdin attraction couldn't be added at DCA. Call me a curmudgeon, but there's a new park for a reason, and there's plenty of room over there for new stuff without having to take out classic stuff from the original park.

carolinakid
03-22-2011, 09:32 AM
Since WDW is getting rid of Snow White, I'd love to be able to still enjoy it at DL as I do Mr Toad!

lofosho
03-22-2011, 10:58 AM
I sure hope not.

AJDerrick
03-22-2011, 11:41 AM
I think this is the first time I've ever seen anyone mention getting rid of Peter Pan. I'm slightly shocked. And I would be very, very sad.

I'd like to see a better ending to Snow White as well, but other than that and the plusses that get added (like the digital projection effects in Snow White) I don't want to see any of those rides leave. Add Aladdin or Lion King to Adventureland, add something for Tangled, but don't take all of the classics away.

Personally, I think one ride per park is plenty of representation for Toy Story. I'd rather see a Wall-e addition, Meet the Robinsons or something new rather than more Toy Story.

cookie7762
03-22-2011, 12:29 PM
I think it's a bad idea to throw out the old for the new. They're classics for a reason. If the kids today aren't "connecting" with the older films, it just means to me that the parents aren't making enough effort to familiarize their kids with the classic Disney animated films that made them what they are today.

Agreed!!! There is a reason I purchase every DVD as the classics are released (my VHS tapes won't last forever!). It is important as parents that we expose our kids to the classics as much as possible. (My husband jokes I'm gonna raise our kids in a time capsule dedicated to my youth!)

All of the movies the rides are based on were released decades before I was born, yet I still was familiar with every single on by the time I took my first trip to DL in 1988. In fact, some of the movies were released even before DL itself was created.

The idea that today's generation is disconnected from these "old" movies applies only to those who haven't taken the time to expose their kids to some of Disney best animated movies.

cookie7762
03-22-2011, 12:36 PM
On the other hand, I think a Lion King ride would be really cool, and I've roughed out a concept for a Great Movie Ride caliber Dark Ride based on that film, but I wouldn't replace anything in Fantasyland with it (besides, Lion King's a bit more Adventureland oriented anyway).

It might still be top secret, but if you can share any of your concept ideas we'd love to hear them!!!!!