PDA

View Full Version : 44 Years Ago Today - Pirates Opened

BlkPearlCptn
03-18-2011, 11:09 AM
Saw on the Disney blog on FB that 44 years ago today Pirates of the Caribbean opened at Disneyland. I remember that I was there with my Mom and Dad and watched the pirates "break in" to the ride. We were then one of the first to get to ride it. It is still one of my all time favorite attractions at the park. So... Happy Birthday PotC!

CariBelle
03-18-2011, 11:15 AM
I remember that I was there with my Mom and Dad and watched the pirates "break in" to the ride. We were then one of the first to get to ride it. It is still one of my all time favorite attractions at the park. So... Happy Birthday PotC!

How cool! Did the break down a door or something? I'm trying to picture it in my head haha

lola2009
03-18-2011, 11:25 AM
What an awesome experience BPC, do you have any pictures from that?

BlkPearlCptn
03-18-2011, 11:35 AM
How cool! Did the break down a door or something? I'm trying to picture it in my head haha

They had like a big log or lumber beam and they "hit" the doors which swung open. It was soo cool to see. I don't know how Mom and Dad managed to be there, but I think the trip was planned around the opening.

I don't know if we have any pics. I still have a lot of my parents pictures to go through and will have to look.

Tink Lover
03-18-2011, 05:48 PM
What a cool story, BlkPearlCptn! I'm so glad that you were able to have that amazingly special experience!

What a fantastic memory.

Only thing that comes close for me is that Capt. Jack Sparrow kissed my hand one day at DL. Not Johnny ... one of the other Capt. Jack Sparrows ...

Finally did decide to wash it one day, though. :p:fez::p:fez:

houseofmouse
03-18-2011, 05:54 PM
:D:D:D:D I love Pirates!

MichaelaHansen
03-18-2011, 06:22 PM
Wow, that must've been so cool to watch and experience. POTC is by far my favorite ride. If you happen across pictures from that, I would love to see them! :D

lauramaynot
03-18-2011, 06:49 PM
I love POTC too. One of the best attractions ever. It is amazing to me how something that is 44 years old is still very relavent and still feels modern. It is such an iconic experiance and I am so glad walt decided it needed water and boats :)

olegc
03-19-2011, 11:00 AM

the blog has a video collage from the opening day ceremonies. Pirates attacked the COlumbia, paraded toward the attraction, took on a sentry, and burst in. I am sure it's on one of the Disneyland DVDs out there..

zombie pirate
03-19-2011, 11:31 AM
Saw on the Disney blog on FB that 44 years ago today Pirates of the Caribbean opened at Disneyland. I remember that I was there with my Mom and Dad and watched the pirates "break in" to the ride. We were then one of the first to get to ride it. It is still one of my all time favorite attractions at the park. So... Happy Birthday PotC!

Do you remember Walt Disney Presents? They had a 1 hour special on the making of, and opening day ceremonies of the POTC, the break in part was in it. It was made in the late 1960s or early 1970s. I seen it on the Disney Channel before when they had a show called Vault Disney.

BQ2
03-20-2011, 06:20 PM
Happy Birthday PotC!

Aye!

greenie95125
03-20-2011, 09:31 PM

I was 6 that summer, and we did indeed ride on PotC. Of course back then, I didn't know (or care) that it was it's inaugural year. I do care now, and consider it very cool, that I was on it shortly after it 1st opened.

WITron
03-21-2011, 09:11 AM
The episode of Walt Disney Presents is on one of the Treasures disks. I believe it is the Secrets set, but not sure right off hand.

CariBelle
03-21-2011, 10:01 AM
the blog has a video collage from the opening day ceremonies. Pirates attacked the COlumbia, paraded toward the attraction, took on a sentry, and burst in. I am sure it's on one of the Disneyland DVDs out there..

Oh thanks! I was at work when I read the blog and I knew there was a video there but it's blocked by our filters. I'll have to watch at home :)

Grandpa Louie
03-21-2011, 03:30 PM
It featured pirates chasing good looking gals and one rather zaftig gal chasing a pirate.