PDA

View Full Version : DCA New Entrance Closing Date?

MusicalMouse
03-17-2011, 06:46 PM
I'm going to Disneyland in a week and am wondering whats up with the new entrance at DCA. I've seen the construction photos but am confused whether its still a functioning entrance or not. Also, is the Sunshine Fountain still there etc? Thanks!

oregontraveler
03-17-2011, 07:12 PM
Good news - bad news...

The good news is DCA is still open during construction. They have walled off the center part of the entrance gates. You will enter to the left towards
Lost & Found. As you leave, you will use 'your other left' towards the exit gates. Both are well marked as you approach. They have already installed some of the steel supports for the new gates. Think of the Hollywood Studios
gates at WDW as a reference.

Bad news is Sunshine Plaza is no more as it will become the new anchor
of Buena Vista Street. Although it will only be the shell of the Carthay Circle
Theater, it is believed that it will have some interior use later on.

jananafish
03-18-2011, 07:48 PM
just a tip, the entrance is not "single file" although you may see people starting to line up. a CM will come up to you (the crowd) and tell you to fill in all the empty space. What we thought was going to be a 45 min wait to get in turned into less than 5 minutes :D

lauramaynot
03-18-2011, 07:52 PM
When we were there a couple of weeks ago both sides were open at rope drop. Everybody was following the crowd to the left side but then a CM came where the line entered the ropes and sent the tail of the line to the right. In the afternoon (during the woc entrance time) both sides were open again...so be sure to check if the line is going out into the esplanade.

rickosuave1987
03-21-2011, 10:40 AM
The direction you enter (either left or right of center) seems to depend on the day and time you are there. Thursday morning they were filing people to the right side in the morning and out the other side. Thursday afternoon, it was the opposite.

Saturday night it was in AND out on the right hand side... :confused:

But the arrow signs do change, and there are usually 3 or 4 CMs around to direct traffic, so it was not too hectic.

IllusionOfLife
03-21-2011, 01:11 PM
Does anyone know an ETA on when the new entrance is supposed to be done? I'd imagine they'd want to have as much as possible done before the summer, but I haven't heard one way or another.

rickosuave1987
03-21-2011, 01:18 PM
I am not sure, but by the amount of progress they made between thursday night and Saturday night, it should be before summer.

Thursday night it seemed like some of the vertical pieces had been placed, but they were still putting scaffolding up. On Saturday night, the middle lower verticals were placed and the platform was on top of them already.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3161/2965165324_87ae2ee778_b.jpg

MadasaHatter
03-21-2011, 10:46 PM
I cannot imagine that the gates would not be completely done by the summer to allow smooth flow for those busiest of months.

As for Buena Vista Street, I would also imagine that that would be done during the autumn and spring in time for a 2012 summer debut! Right?

greenie95125
03-26-2011, 08:44 PM
When we were there a couple of weeks ago both sides were open at rope drop. Everybody was following the crowd to the left side but then a CM came where the line entered the ropes and sent the tail of the line to the right. In the afternoon (during the woc entrance time) both sides were open again...so be sure to check if the line is going out into the esplanade.

That's one of the reasons we always saty at the Grand Californian... our own entrance to DCA! 28 days and counting!

Iceman
03-28-2011, 09:54 AM
That's one of the reasons we always saty at the Grand Californian... our own entrance to DCA! 28 days and counting!

Just so you know, you don't have to stay at the GC to use that entrance. It is open to any guest of any of the DLR hotels. And being a guest of the hotel is something as simple as having breakfast at Storyteller's Cafe--you don't even have to be an overnight guest.

Now that being said, I love staying at the GC and think there are a lot of reasons to do so even if the side entrance to DCA isn't truly exclusive!

QuiGonJ
04-02-2011, 07:52 PM
I have to think it will be finished for the opening of the Little Mermaid ride. Otherwise the media would have a field day laughing at DCA for having such a Mickey Mouse way into the park. :p

Tinkermommy
04-02-2011, 10:27 PM
Just so you know, you don't have to stay at the GC to use that entrance. ... nd being a guest of the hotel is something as simple as having breakfast at Storyteller's Cafe--you don't even have to be an overnight guest.

Although we've used this entrance many times after eating at Storytellers or Whitewater Snacks, the last two times we tried, they turned us away. They strictly enforced the guests-only policy, even after we offered to show our receipts. Neither was during a busy period.

greenie95125
04-05-2011, 10:28 PM
Good news - bad news...

The good news is DCA is still open during construction. They have walled off the center part of the entrance gates. You will enter to the left towards
Lost & Found. As you leave, you will use 'your other left' towards the exit gates. Both are well marked as you approach. They have already installed some of the steel supports for the new gates. Think of the Hollywood Studios
gates at WDW as a reference.

Bad news is Sunshine Plaza is no more as it will become the new anchor
of Buena Vista Street. Although it will only be the shell of the Carthay Circle
Theater, it is believed that it will have some interior use later on.

Progress, I guess. I loved Sunshine Plaza as the jumping off point to the rest of DCA. Oh well, I'll give my impressions after we go in a couple of weeks.

--Mike