PDA

View Full Version : wasted space?

Pages : [1] 2 3

nowen1
03-17-2011, 09:48 AM
I looked at a satelite map of DL and thought that the old hunchback theater and the princess fair area are kind of wasted spaces (many may argue with princess fair, and let them), but looking at the size of these two areas and comparing it to the size of other "lands" in the park why not add a new land?

oregontraveler
03-17-2011, 11:25 AM
You could make a arguement of the Festival Arena 'transferring' over to
Frontierland. But what would you put in there and how much space do you
really have. Same with the Fantasyland Theater. I would much prefer doing something with those 2 themes rather than a new land per se.

However, with the modest success with the Family Fun weekends this winter at the Festival Arena, plus they are doing a Pirates 4 preview there as well. I'm happy to see this space used again on a regular basis. And I wonder what would a park be like if every single inch of space was used
for attractions, retail etc. The fact that they took out the Maliboomer and replaced it with green space is a good sign.

nowen1
03-17-2011, 12:09 PM
an actual expansion into that space would be nice, like fantasyland in WDW.

ShelbyH
03-17-2011, 12:18 PM
Given the emphasis on renovating CA Adventure, particularly Cars Land (yay!), I think Disney's first goal is relieving some of the crowd at DL and funneling them into DCA to balance the parks. For me, if they're building new stuff, I'd rather see them do away with some more lame stuff at DCA and do it there rather than at DL.

I'm in agreement with oregontraveler, and I too am glad to see the Festival Arena being utilized again. Hopefully we'll get some good use out of the existing area.

kpcrone
03-17-2011, 12:58 PM
There was actually a rumor going around that the Frontierland expansion was going to include these spaces!

Bytebear
03-17-2011, 05:07 PM
I would like to see the Fantasy Faire area turned into a theater for Mickey's Philharmagic with an entrance under the train into Toontown. Then you can move the Faire to somewhere else like the Festival of Fools area.

But, I agree that with all the changes at DCA, I am just happy that Disneyland is getting Star Tours. It has plenty to do without a new land. Fix DCA first.

lauramaynot
03-18-2011, 07:05 PM
ITA. I wish they wouldn't just pile project upon project. Look at the impact closing critter country had and that is not nearly the size of fantasyland. Can you imagine if they closed all of fantasyland? I think they onely way they are getting away with it at WDW is that there are other parks to carry the crowds.

As for the fantasyland theater, that space was a people sucker upper - which is something that fantasyland really needs. A ride in the old motorboat area could do that as well as a show like philharmagic could do...definately focus on filling those empty holes first IMO.

IllusionOfLife
03-18-2011, 09:48 PM
The problem with porting Mickey's Philharmagic is that 3D shows are kinda old hat at this point. It's definitely a very good show, but if they were to bring it to Disneyland I'd give it five years tops before attendance drops down to HIStA levels.

Fact is, people can go see 3D movies for $10 every weekend, the novelty of a 3D show is gone. Yeah, the 4D effects are cool, and the shows are still good and charming, but it's just not enough to be compelling. I'd much rather see Imagineering come up with something new and cutting edge for the space than import an eight-year-old 3D show from Florida.

And don't even get me started on all the wasted space in Toontown… that land has lost so much of the charm it used to have now that everything has been stripped out by OSHA. The theming is still great, and Roger Rabbit's Car-Toon Spin is still a wonderful attraction, but other than that, it's a dead end of the park that doesn't have much going for it. That land needs a serious overhaul. As much as I'd love to see a new Tomorrowland, a new Toontown is much more needed.

MadasaHatter
03-19-2011, 07:08 PM
Amen to that IllusionofLife!

I lovelovelove the look of Toon Town. I was floored when it opened. I think Mickey's House with the meet and greet is really cool and clever. I love Minnie's House too. Roger Rabbitt is fantastic. And the Gadget Go Coaster is a great trainer for the little ones. BUT they need to have a CHIP N DALE DARK RIDE over where their tree house is.... and where GOOFY'S HOUSE and DONALD'S BOAT is should be another Dark Ride....any suggestions? THen there would be THREE dark rides over there and it would make it like a MINI- FANTASYLAND. Any other suggestion??? YOu could incorporate Donald into CHIP and DALE'S Ride and maybe PUT GOOFY in the other dark ride?

Then again....I could be mad....

MermaidHair
03-26-2011, 03:01 PM
I like Mad's suggestions. How about a Fab 5 ride? Even just one more dark ride would make the land more complete.

PhiSigDuchessCV
03-26-2011, 03:42 PM
For the Fantasyland theater I wish it would come back to being a true theater not a place for meet and greet etc. Why can't they bring the Beauty and the Beast show from Florida, or even the Lion King Festival (haven't seen that one so don't know how it would work in Disneyland). Or even bring back One Man's Dream stage show from years ago

princessy777
03-26-2011, 07:04 PM
They should put Gaston's Pub there. Oh wait, no alcohol for Disneyland :( Near beer is not nearly as fun.

rokstedy
03-31-2011, 11:14 AM
Fact is, people can go see 3D movies for $10 every weekend, the novelty of a 3D show is gone. Yeah, the 4D effects are cool, and the shows are still good and charming, but it's just not enough to be compelling. I'd much rather see Imagineering come up with something new and cutting edge for the space than import an eight-year-old 3D show from Florida.

By that logic, there should be no reason why anyone would ever go on the dark rides in Fantasy Land. They are, after all, immensely out dated.

IllusionOfLife
03-31-2011, 12:10 PM
By that logic, there should be no reason why anyone would ever go on the dark rides in Fantasy Land. They are, after all, immensely out dated.

There's a big difference between the two. The Fantasyland Dark Rides are not only classics, but they're still something you can't experience anywhere else (I mean seriously, have you been on a dark ride at any other theme park? Yikes!); the 3D shows don't nearly have that same classic status, and they're something that you can experience at any major movie theater anywhere outside the Parks. Also, the Fantasyland Dark Rides draw huge crowds every day 56 years later, the same cannot be said for the likes of Muppet*Vision, HIStA, or It's Tough to be a Bug. Captain EO is getting larger crowds but there's still the element of novelty to that one and I would be shocked if it maintained attendance like that for many more years.

I'm not arguing that the 3D shows are bad, not by any means, I love Muppet*Vision and I'd hate to see it go, but I'm also aware that these shows are just not as special as they used to be, they're not timeless like the Fantasyland Dark Rides and Disney would be wasting money and space bringing in an attraction that is already starting to show its age.

Shunasee
04-01-2011, 11:52 AM
For the Fantasyland theater I wish it would come back to being a true theater not a place for meet and greet etc. Why can't they bring the Beauty and the Beast show from Florida, or even the Lion King Festival (haven't seen that one so don't know how it would work in Disneyland). Or even bring back One Man's Dream stage show from years ago

One Man's Dream was AMAZING!! I think that was one of the best stage shows they have ever done!

Festival of the Lion King, would not work in that space. :( Beauty and the Beast would work in the space and almost fit in with how its deocrated now.

I wish they would bring it back to stage and do shows there again. Mickey's Detective Agency was a ton of fun, and my son got to be in the show as one of the "usual suspects". They used to do Mickey's Nutcraker for the holidays. Heck, even Videopolis would be fun to have again (as long as they play the music they played there in the 80's ;) )

As much as I love the rides, I miss the stage shows. DCA has a dedicated theater, I just wish DL did too...

tylerbo20
04-03-2011, 05:32 PM
i think it would be awsome for a Robin Hood dark ride there...i think toon town went down when disney cartoons stopped having the impact they did in the 90s Ducktales, Darkwing Duck, Rescue Rangers, Goof Troop, and Tale Spin now they dont have those favourites and toon town has turned into Mickey and Mineys house and Roger Rabit i agree more dark rides back there to make it a little exciting...i was there a few years back and the tree and donalds boat sucked i thought...

revwog1974
04-03-2011, 08:29 PM
I think that the Mickey's Clubhouse show on Disney Jr. is creating a whole new generation of fans for these characters.

dban3
04-03-2011, 08:41 PM
i think it would be awsome for a Robin Hood dark ride there...i think toon town went down when disney cartoons stopped having the impact they did in the 90s Ducktales, Darkwing Duck, Rescue Rangers, Goof Troop, and Tale Spin now they dont have those favourites and toon town has turned into Mickey and Mineys house and Roger Rabit i agree more dark rides back there to make it a little exciting...i was there a few years back and the tree and donalds boat sucked i thought...

Just spent 5 and a half days at the DL and DCA and never set foot into Toon Town. The only reason for an adult to set foot in there is Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin but on crowded days (like this past week) and without a fastpass, that queuing line can be incredibly long (but also very entertaining). WDW MK did away with its Toon Town and maybe its time for DL to do the same. Maybe this years D23 Expo will bring some sort of future plan. I agree if you are going to do away with Toon Town (sparing Roger Rabbit and relocating Mickey's house) take the adjacent Fantasyland Theater with it. That is far too cavernous of a space to be used for what is essentially a princess meet and greet. The question is what is the highest priority, a re-imagineering of Tomorrowland, or the leveling of Toon Town? I don't know if DL can afford to do what has happened in DCA (multiple construction projects simultaneously). The daily attendance in DL remains 2 or 3 times higher than DCA though Carsland could change that.

nowen1
04-04-2011, 06:59 AM
They would not do the Tomorrowland update and a "Toon Town leveling" at the same time. With the Tomorrowland update scheduled for just after the DCA renovation is complete anything dealing with Toon Town will be a few years off yet.

cstephens
04-04-2011, 10:51 AM
The only reason for an adult to set foot in there is Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin

I completely disagree. I love the charm of Toontown, and I'm almost never there with a child. There are a lot of details to look at and just enjoy. There are things to play with on the right side of the land - manhole cover to stomp on, doors to pull, knobs to turn, phones to listen to. It's one of the great places for an adult to feel like a kid again. And of course, adults can go in and meet Mickey and Minnie as well.

familymemories
04-04-2011, 11:15 AM
I agree that they should do something fun with that area.

ScottC4746
07-08-2011, 07:07 AM
I saw somewhere WDW is/has closing/closed Toon Town and will be expanding Fantasyland into that area. Perhaps the same can be done with Disneyland. I think we all agree DL Fantasyland can get very clogged on busy days.

DwarfPlanet
07-08-2011, 09:47 AM
I completely disagree. I love the charm of Toontown, and I'm almost never there with a child. There are a lot of details to look at and just enjoy. There are things to play with on the right side of the land - manhole cover to stomp on, doors to pull, knobs to turn, phones to listen to. It's one of the great places for an adult to feel like a kid again. And of course, adults can go in and meet Mickey and Minnie as well.

or hear laughing water, a buzzing door (Electric Power), trains in boxes, explosions, dogs poking their head out the window,, sheesh I have fun wandering around there. Totally agree.

bumblebeeonarose
07-08-2011, 10:22 AM
I think a show would be great in the theater. Afterall, that is the purpose of a theater. I know there is the whole princess ordination thing, but that is not the same as a show. WDW has a LOT more shows. I saw both Lion King and Beauty and the Beast. They were both great, but I'd say keeping with the whole Fantasyland theme, Beauty would make more sense. Plus the Lion King theater was a very different shape, the audience sits around the stage and everything happens in the middle, like a circus.

I agree, there are too many 3D shows. I think that is the real problem with the 3D shows, there is EO (which was NOT busy when we were there in June, the theater was perhaps a sixteenth full and the park was BUSY!), Bugs Life, and Muppets. Personally, I hope that the Tomorrowland renovation changes EO. It is supposed to be temporary, right?

I don't think they should close Toon Town. Maybe update it with some kind of attraction or entertainment. It's too bad that so much of its charm was removed because of saftey concerns.

Where is the Festival of Fool area??

oregontraveler
07-08-2011, 10:35 AM
The Festival of Fools area is right next to the petting zoo and BBQ lunch area. They have used it recently for Family Fun weekends and the Pirates 3D preview.

The latest rumors/speculation is the Entertainment Dept. is going to put a daytime Princess Meet-n-Greet at the Carnation Garden Stage so that the Princess Fantasy Faire can become a theater again with a new stage show.