PDA

View Full Version : First trip to Disneyland & looking for input

disneyfan1973
05-15-2003, 06:36 AM
Hello, this is my first post here… I normally hang out over at WDW forums. The family and me (5 total, 3 boys 15, 7 & 5) are heading to Disneyland for the first time ever. We have reservations at the Grand Californian Hotel for 5 nights, June 19th -24th. We are pretty excited about this trip, hoping for some nice dry weather while we are there :cool:. Went to WDW last year for 8 days and it rain a lot… more than normal.

I am looking for advise/input on how to do Disneyland Resort. Is 5 day too short or too long, keep in mind that we may never get back out to CA, live in Ohio so we are using my frequent flyer miles to go west. We just love WDW and being inside the magic (5 family trips since 1986). I have been going to WDW since 1973 and know my way around it. This where I need your help!! I have read lots of good post here and a few Guide Books. But I am looking for your insight on Disneyland Resort.

The kids love rollercoaster…. The ones they can ride anyway (both the 7 and 5 yr olds are 46”). They loved Space Mnt at WDW, rode it half dozen times last year. I was bummed to see DL SM closed after we made plans back in February… but that’s the way it goes. I do have a few questions too:

1. Do they allow pool hopping between hotels? At WDW I know it’s not allowed.
2. Can you ride the front seat on the Monorail?
3. Do they have the resort mugs with free refills?

Sorry for the long post.
Disneyfan1973

Matterhorn Fan
05-15-2003, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by disneyfan1973
1. Do they allow pool hopping between hotels? At WDW I know it’s not allowed.
2. Can you ride the front seat on the Monorail?
3. Do they have the resort mugs with free refills? 1. Yes and no. It depends on which hotel you're staying at.
2. Not any longer.
3. Yes, at Whitewater, which is at the GCH.

With 5 days you should be able to see everything. Twice.

If your kids love Space at WDW, make sure they go on the Matterhorn. It's not in the dark, but it's very similar.

beast77
05-15-2003, 06:52 AM
Congrats on your first trip! I think that you will find that 5 days will be enough to enjoy both parks. I also feel that you will realy love DLR..... Not better or worse that WDW, just different.

To answer you questions:
1) I have been allowed to pool hop in the past.... dont know about an ongoing policy (I stayed when the Grand first opened)

2)YOu can no longer ride in the front of the monorail.... but the back is open to ride...

3) Yes mugs are avail at the snack shop at GCH

Niwel
05-15-2003, 02:46 PM
Make sure to visit the Disneyland attractions you can't find at the Magic Kingdom:

Main Street
Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln
Railroad (Make sure to ride the segment between Tomorrowland and Main Street.

Tomorrowland
Autopia (different from Grand Prix)

Fantasyland
Small World (it IS different)
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
Alice in Wonderland
Casey Jr. Circus Train
Storybookland Canal Boats
Pinocchio's Daring Journey
Matterhorn
Snow White Grotto and Wishing Well (not a ride, but one of the things that makes Disneyland so magical).

Toontown
Gadget's Go-Coaster
Roger Rabbit Cartoon Spin

Adventureland
Tarzan Treehouse
The Original Tiki Room
Indiana Jones -- A MUST, although you children might not be tall enough, yet.

New Orleans Square
Pirates of the Caribbean (This is also different)

Don't forget to have the kids get their "height bracelets" at the hub. The color coding corresponds to the signs in front of some of the attractions and lets you know what "color" can ride each attraction. Enjoy the trip

DisneyFan25863
05-15-2003, 03:36 PM
Sorry for the long post.
Disneyfan1973

Nice Screen Name! Very stylish....:fez:

disneyfan1973
06-28-2003, 07:21 PM
Wanted to thank all who replied. Just got home form DL and had a great time. The weather was a little cool, but great for doing the parks. Was very happy with DL itself.... the size compared to WDW-MK is much less notable than I was expecting so that was cool. Also it seems to me that DL/DCA has more street cleaners than I saw at WDW last year, saw one guy spot mopping the pavement. The parks and hotel were very very clean.... like I remember WDW being. One thing that I would have to ding DL on, is the viewing area for the Fantasmic show, no seating, the show itself was great. Having seen fantasmic at MGM, it’s much more pleasant with seating. Do not know if we will ever make it back to CA but if so would do DL/DCA again. I would forgo the Grand California Hotel and next time look at the Disneyland Hotel…. Looks to be more kid friendly.

Oh, one other thing the Disney cast members were all very nice and helpful thru the 5 day stay.

Thanks again.

MonorailMan
06-28-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Niwel
Don't forget to have the kids get their "height bracelets" at the hub. The color coding corresponds to the signs in front of some of the attractions and lets you know what "color" can ride each attraction. Enjoy the trip

Actually, the system didn't measure up (http://www.mouseplanet.com/parkupdates/dlr/index.htm) to it's expectations.

jerjer2005
06-28-2003, 09:29 PM
(the height braclet system is no longer being used at the DLR)

I wish you and your family the best on your trip!

it seems as if you have had all of your questions answered so i just leave u with this word of advice, dont just enjoy the attractions but enjoy the magic that the place holds. you can just feel a good energy throughout the place . and with 5 days you should be able to take your time, sit back and soak up the magic of Disney very well!

have a great and safe trip!

HBTiggerFan
06-28-2003, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by jerjer2005
I wish you and your family the best on your trip!

They already left and returned.

Welcome Home!!!!! I'm glad you had a great trip! The GCH is my *dream* hotel, but being a local (20 minutes away) I couldn't ever justify the cost.

I've heard that our Fantasmic seating has a "more intimate" feel, however you need to get there 5 hours ahead of time to get a good seat. I've never been to WDW but I have read about the bleachers.

Again, Welcome Home! :)

Rallymonkey23
06-28-2003, 09:40 PM
We are pretty excited about this trip, hoping for some nice dry weather while we are there :cool:.

So, how did ya like the weather? ;)

Welcome home BTW. :) Tell us about your trip!