PDA

View Full Version : Rename Disneyland Park!

Kuzcotopia
05-14-2003, 09:35 PM
Here's my modest proposal. By word of mouth and the internet.

Please, Disney, PLEASE just stop with this whole "Disneyland Park" nonsense.

Sure, you think people are confused when you say "The Disneyland Resort". So you added the word "Park" to the name of Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure.

But you see Mr. Eisner... YOU didn't name Disneyland. Walt named it. And he didn't name it "Disneyland Park." In fact, "Disneyland Park" is a terrible name. Why say "land" anyway, if you are just going to say "park" after it? Why isn't it just "Disney Park"?

Walt Disney built Disneyland. Not Disneyland Park. He named it. The name should be changed back.

Mr. Eisner, if you REALLY want to restore the luster of Disneyland, stop with this Pressler-era renaming. I'll still let you say things like "Now open at Disneyland, at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim." Nobody would be confused by that. You can keep calling the new park "Disney's California Adventure Park" if you want, though it was a mouthful as it was.

Let's start of word-of-mouth campaign. Rename the park "Disneyland" for the 50th Anniversary.

Walt wanted it that way.

zapppop
05-14-2003, 09:42 PM
I doubt Eisner will do this. The whole reason why the name "park" was added was to remind guests that there's more than 1 park in the resort to visit. Tokyo Disneyland is now Tokyo Disneyland Park, and the disneyland in france is no longer Disneyland Paris, it's now Parc Disneyland, to remind guests of Parc Walt Disney Studios
This name change is the most ridiculous to me because the park has undergone 3 name changes within a 8 year period; opening as Euro Disneyland ( April 1992 - May 1994 ) , then for a brief period was Euro Disneyland Paris ( June 1994 - September 1994 ), then for a few years was Disneyland Paris ( October 1994 - February 2002 ) and then last year it became Parc Disneyland ( March 2002 - present ).
I think it's unnecessary to rename the parks, especially for the sake of just adding in the word " park " but Eisner disagrees. Let's hope Roy Disney will change the name when he takes Eisner's place.

Kuzcotopia
05-14-2003, 09:56 PM
That's why we need a word of mouth campaign. To shame them into changing it back.

As far as I'm concerned, they can rename all the other parks to anything they want. Rename Epcot "Mickey's Ha-ha Land", I don't care.

But Disneyland was Walt's creation.

"Disneyland Park" just confuses people more. It doesn't remind them there's more to do at the Resort. (The word Resort does that just fine.)

Hearing "Disneyland Park", people just think that there's now some green playground next to Disneyland. Which explains the even more bizarre wording on the Pooh ride billboards that read "Park Admission Required".

"Change the name back to Disneyland for the 50th." Pass it on!

zapppop
05-14-2003, 10:14 PM
Just do what I do when a name changes; ignore it and continue to go by the original name. I do it all the time.

Disney's Electrical Parade
Main Street Electrical Parade

Rocket Rod's queue/ track
CircleVision / PeopleMover track

Disney's California Adventure
Disneyland Parking Lot

Parc Disneyland
Euro Disneyland

Cinderella II: Dreams Come True
piece of crap

However, if it makes you feel any better, I'll send an email or two requesting the name be changed back to " Disneyland " and put in a comment @ City Hall during a future visit.

YellowMan
05-14-2003, 10:32 PM
Hmm...I seem to remember hearing it called Disneyland Park in an old special about the park back during it's construciton and early days. I believe they called it this to distinguish between Disneyland Park and the TV show about it (which was originally called Disneyland).

tazart
05-14-2003, 10:32 PM
About 11 years ago I was working in a small design studio that did a lot of work for the hotels in the Disneyland area. I remember the copy in the brochures we designed said "Disneyland Park" then. I don't know if it was a legal thing or what but it appeared there long before I saw the park itself using it as the common name. I think it's dumb also. I never say to my wife, "Let's go to Disneyland Park Sunday for lunch." Duh!

swtkissez
05-14-2003, 10:40 PM
Even though Disney calls it "Disneyland Park" doesn't mean the average guest has to. In fact i don't think i have heard a guest call it by its full name (margin of error...+/- 5%, hehe). So they can call it that if they want, it still includes Walt Disney's intentions (Disneyland), and it does ditinguish it from its entity (Dland resort), so this word of mouth campaigne (sp) isn't necessary.

boy, this soapbox is awfully high!!

:sleep:

JenGood008
05-14-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by tazart
I think it's dumb also. I never say to my wife, "Let's go to Disneyland Park Sunday for lunch." Duh!

I actually don't think I've personally ever heard ANYONE refer to it as Disneyland Park! Even though they changed the name, people don't really seem to be falling for it and I think it's a pretty lame attempt to make people aware that there is another park. If DCA was a mind blowing experience all by itself, it wouldn't be necessary to try so hard to differentiate the two, but we have what we have, right? Whatever they want to call it, it will always be Disneyland to me :)

Not Afraid
05-14-2003, 10:45 PM
I never have and never will call it Disneyland Park. Even the logo shirts say Disneyland 1955 or DL an American Original, etc. When something has had such a strong market identy for almost 50 years, it's going to take more than the whim of Michael Eisner and Co. to change it.

California Aggie
05-14-2003, 10:51 PM
They still want we the customers to say and think simply "Disneyland." However, from a legal standpoint, in the fine print, they want it to be "Disneyland Park" since the lawyers believe they can more easily justify the trademark on the "Disneyland" name. You'll notice the word "park" is significantly smaller than Disneyland in any logo. Its similar to the way Frito-Lay, if you'll look closely at the package, sells "Doritos Brand Tortilla Chips" rather than just Doritos. However, they'd rarely mention that mouthful of a name in their marketing campaigns. Its also similar to the fact that "Walt Disney World" is now, in the fine print, "The Walt Disney World Resort." They are doing the same thing, justifying the trademark. There is really no other reason to tack onto WDW the word resort since there is no park that is called specifically Walt Disney World Park.

Personally, I think they should go back to "Disneyland, USA" That's how the park was often referred to in the early days, although I believe even Walt Disney himself refered to it as Disneyland park in some materials and promotions.

jtracy
05-14-2003, 11:15 PM
Out of curiosity, I typed in www.disneylandpark.com and... surprise... it redirected to Disneyland's Website.

When was Euro Disney... er... Disneyland Paris changed to Parc Disneyland? What a terrible name!!!

zapppop
05-14-2003, 11:21 PM
March 2002.

a non disney name change I noticed 2 years ago was Knotts.
Knott's Berry Farm is now Knott's Theme Park.

Geez :rolleyes:

Lashbear
05-14-2003, 11:26 PM
and to avoid confusion we could call rename "Disney's California Adventure Park" to the much simpler: "Deecap"

...Then when we get coffee we can order a "Double Deecap Latte"

Tref
05-15-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by zapppop
Just do what I do when a name changes; ignore it and continue to go by the original name. I do it all the time.

Disney's Electrical Parade
Main Street Electrical Parade

Rocket Rod's queue/ track
CircleVision / PeopleMover track

Disney's California Adventure
Disneyland Parking Lot

Parc Disneyland
Euro Disneyland

Cinderella II: Dreams Come True
piece of crap

Beautiful. The last one is especially funny.
I.r.

screamin4ever
05-15-2003, 06:53 PM
Shhhhhhhhhhhhh! Don't tell Eisner but the names among common folks are:

Disneyland

and

California Adventure

What are they doing with this name game? Waste of time...uh, Disney's California Time.

duffman03
05-15-2003, 07:06 PM
Actually, the names amongst common folk (everyone I know) are:

Disneyland

That new park next to Disneyland

I think that would be a cool name - I can see the billboards now - "Come on out to that new park next to Disneyland"

There is precedent to all this nonsense of course - trying to rename DisneyWorld "Magic Kingdom" and DisneyWorld was the 'Resort' This was back when they were trying to become the goliath destination they are now. When I was a kid, going to DisneyWorld meant the park they now call "Magic Kingdom."

Just imagine if they tried to do THAT and totally rename Disneyland (the park) and Disneyland became the whole resort name.

timl33
05-16-2003, 09:48 AM
I didn't even realize it was officially called "Disneyland Park" until this thread. I still call it Disneyland and That park with WWTBAM.

Originally posted by duffman03
Actually, the names amongst common folk (everyone I know) are:

Disneyland

That new park next to Disneyland

I think that would be a cool name - I can see the billboards now - "Come on out to that new park next to Disneyland"

There is precedent to all this nonsense of course - trying to rename DisneyWorld "Magic Kingdom" and DisneyWorld was the 'Resort' This was back when they were trying to become the goliath destination they are now. When I was a kid, going to DisneyWorld meant the park they now call "Magic Kingdom."

Just imagine if they tried to do THAT and totally rename Disneyland (the park) and Disneyland became the whole resort name.

XxJack SkellingtonxX
05-16-2003, 10:28 AM
Walt said that he wanted Disneyland to never stop growing never stop changing. I think the addition of a new park and the very slight change of the name of the park actually lives up more to Walt's dream rather then taking from it. Walt would have been happy with the change I think because although Disneyland is very historic it also must fight to keep tourists intrested in it and the new name is one more way of doing so. Besides, you can still call it whatever you want and it'll never stop being the Disneyland we all love today.

zapppop
05-16-2003, 10:31 AM
Does anyone else think the " Disney's " in Disney's California Adventure is unnecessary ?

Disney Nick
05-16-2003, 10:54 AM
How about Disney's Disneyland California Park inside of the Disneyland California Resortlandworld Disney sound for the new name of Disneyland?

That should justify all trademarks :fez: