PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland set to open Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides – Sneak Peek

AVP
03-15-2011, 09:28 AM
With the success of the Tron: Legacy Sneak Peek offered in Disney California Adventure during ElecTRONica (a preview which still draws huge crowds despite the fact the actual movie debuted three months ago and will be released on DVD in three weeks), Disney will offer a preview of the upcoming Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides during a nightly "exciting new pirate experience" starting March 25th at Disneyland.

A post just released on the Disney Parks Blog (http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/03/pirates-of-the-caribbean-on-stranger-tides-sneak-peek-coming-soon-to-disneyland-park/) says that the 3-D preview will be exclusive to Disneyland, and will be presented "weekend nights from March 25 to May 30, and seven nights a week from April 15 through May 1." The preview will be held in the Festival Arena, at the back of Frontierland.

currence
03-15-2011, 09:46 AM
I'm glad to see that they are once again admitting that the Festival Arena exists and allowing more than just private parties back there. First the "special" weekends, now this. I wonder if they are working on anything for summer back there?

AJDerrick
03-15-2011, 10:07 AM
Signs of life in the festival arena!!! I don't care what they do back there, I'm just glad they're going to use it. Maybe if the turnout is good they'll put something more permanent in.

cstephens
03-15-2011, 12:16 PM
Signs of life in the festival arena!!! I don't care what they do back there, I'm just glad they're going to use it. Maybe if the turnout is good they'll put something more permanent in.

Just as an fyi, it's been used fairly often lately, for the Family Fun Weekends, other than for the Mardi Gras weekends. But I agree, it's nice to see activity back there for things other than corporate parties.

AJDerrick
03-15-2011, 12:51 PM
Ah you are right, I'd forgotten since we haven't been lately. I'm glad they're repeatedly using it. :)

dban3
04-03-2011, 07:47 PM
I didn't see it mentioned anywhere but about 90% of the people who see the Sneak Peak of POTC: On Stranger Tides are made to sit on the concrete ground of the Festival Arena. There is limited seating for the handicapped and those who can't sit on the ground. It would have been nice if there was some announcement of limited seating before the very long wait..... On the other hand, if Disney produced a poster of all the "mutineers" hung upside down on the Queen Anne's Revenge set against starlit sky, they would sell a million of them. It is an impressive visual.

As a point of history, POTC is a fictional story based on a classic ride. The inclusion of Blackbeard, a real life pirate and cut-throat murderer, is a bit disturbing.

olegc
04-03-2011, 10:23 PM
I didn't see it mentioned anywhere but about 90% of the people who see the Sneak Peak of POTC: On Stranger Tides are made to sit on the concrete ground of the Festival Arena. There is limited seating for the handicapped and those who can't sit on the ground. It would have been nice if there was some announcement of limited seating before the very long wait..... On the other hand, if Disney produced a poster of all the "mutineers" hung upside down on the Queen Anne's Revenge set against starlit sky, they would sell a million of them. It is an impressive visual.

As a point of history, POTC is a fictional story based on a classic ride. The inclusion of Blackbeard, a real life pirate and cut-throat murderer, is a bit disturbing.

2 comments - one, think of using the spoiler tags around things that reveal pre-released images or information. Second, there has been some speculation that Blackbeard never really killed that many people - that some of it was drummed up to increase the fear all had of him. His burning of the beard and dreads tended to be more of a visual scare tactic than just some crazy guy roaming the seas. Again - this was speculation reported by some historians. I luckily was never around at the time. argh!

chahn
05-05-2011, 06:47 AM
Can someone who has seen the sneak peek give me an idea of the format? The schedule merely says 8:10-11:45pm but it isn't really clear if that is a single session or if it repeats several times during that period. I'm actually more interested in the live stuff rather than the movie peek itself since I don't really watch many previews.

mlwalsh
05-05-2011, 10:15 AM
Can someone who has seen the sneak peek give me an idea of the format? The schedule merely says 8:10-11:45pm but it isn't really clear if that is a single session or if it repeats several times during that period. I'm actually more interested in the live stuff rather than the movie peek itself since I don't really watch many previews.

It repeats several times throughout the night. You go up to the area and if there isn't a session currently underway you walk in through the gates. Otherwise you wait. once you walk in you grab a standard pair of 3d goggles (borrowed from Midway Mania) and grab a seat on the ground in front of the screen. there are some pirate characters hanging around to entertain you before the show begins. then another character comes out ( i didn't catch his name) and talks about Capt. Jack and such, introduces the scene and then you watch the sneak=peek. Once it's over you make your way back out, being sure to drop off your double-eye patches on the way out.

BlkPearlCptn
05-05-2011, 11:14 AM
I waited three hours to see it (wound up being second in line. The line quickly filled up within 15 min of us getting in it). The show is fantastic and the sneak peek even more so. I highly recommend it. We were told that the later you wait to see it, the shorter the wait time. For me, it was worth the wait and hopefully will see it again.

Drince88
05-05-2011, 11:46 AM
Can someone who has seen the sneak peek give me an idea of the format?
This Disneyland Update (http://www.mouseplanet.com/9580/Disneyland_Resort_Update#news2), from shortly after it opened, probably can give you some additional ideas of how it works.

chahn
05-05-2011, 05:24 PM
Ah! You know we hadn't actually decided to visit in May when that update came out so I didn't think to look back for it. :)

Thanks all!

SigalTchelet
05-07-2011, 11:59 AM
I wonder how crowded will it be on the 20th, the day the movie is actually is released. I made 6:30 reservations at BTMR for dinner, thinking we could go to the preview right afterwards. Now I am thinking about trying to skedaddle over to IASW before they close the area behind the castle off, and head back to Festival Arena after the fireworks.