PDA

View Full Version : A map with lofty ambitions

mousketeer
05-13-2003, 08:48 PM
Not sure if any of you have seen this, but here http://rotocat.tripod.com/westcot.htm is a link to a Disneyland Resort master plan from about 1990. Notice the lofty, pre-Euro Disneyland plans: a 5,000 seat ampitheater in the Esplanade, WestCOT Center with its 45 minute world cruise, lush gardens, and indoor future world, a Downtown Disney with lagoon, a curvy Disneyland Drive with several roundabouts, THREE new resorts, a completely re-routed Monorail with four new stops, an elevated shuttle system, a peoplemover system, and a future space for a third theme park. Boy, what a dream. Also note that, surprisingly, Discovery Bay is not seen in the Magic Kingdom - maybe that was already shelved at that time.

jrad32
05-13-2003, 09:23 PM
Damn that is frustrating. How cool would this have been? The map itself is cooler than DCA right now:D

DisneyFan25863
05-13-2003, 09:26 PM
That is one nice monorail :fez:

innerSpaceman
05-13-2003, 09:46 PM
And to think, at the time (huge Epcot fan that I am) I thought that the whole Westcot idea was a tacky copy that would succeed about as well as Florida's Tragic Kingdom copy of Disneyland did.

I could kick myself now.

(It's all my fault.)

swtkissez
05-13-2003, 11:14 PM
One word: wow

:eek:

California Aggie
05-13-2003, 11:36 PM
even though they ditched the Westcot theme, there is so much in this plan that they should have put to use when designing the current Disneyland Resort. One need only look at "Disneyland Center" (Downtown Disney) in the plan to see how much better this area could have been designed. I like Downtown Disney, but its a very oddly shaped and angled place that when you look at it from a map looks like its been squeezed into far too little of a a rather narrow space. DCA too should be the nice square shape instead of the odd diagnol that it occupies now. Looking at this plan it looks like space is used much more efficiently and people can get from place to place in a much more logical fashion.

gliterrboy
05-14-2003, 04:36 AM
that map and description are so beautiful! :crying: makes me sad that we will never see it created now!!! maybe when the economy picks back up Disney will do some new things that have elements of that map? But I guess that is very unlikely!

mousketeer
05-14-2003, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by gliterrboy
that map and description are so beautiful! :crying: makes me sad that we will never see it created now!!! maybe when the economy picks back up Disney will do some new things that have elements of that map? But I guess that is very unlikely!

A sad ending.:crying:

Subsonic
05-14-2003, 04:18 PM
Can someone upload the map to another site that has no bandwidth limitations?

Or directly to me and I'll put it up at a site.

mousketeer
05-14-2003, 09:49 PM
http://web.archive.org/web/20010218100753/http://rotocat.tripod.com/maps/westcot-map-color-large.jpg

The image was too large, and it has now been edited.

cemeinke
05-14-2003, 09:56 PM
Hey! If that's Kosher - I want my Avatar back!

zapppop
05-14-2003, 10:23 PM
ditto !

mousketeer
05-15-2003, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by cemeinke
Hey! If that's Kosher - I want my Avatar back!

Subsonic asked for me to post it.:)

stinkerbell
05-15-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by cemeinke
Hey! If that's Kosher - I want my Avatar back! That's what I was thinking!

But what a COOL map, thanks!

Bill Catherall
05-15-2003, 11:46 AM
Don't worry folks. Someone will be here to fix it momentarily. Meanwhile...

How do we know that map really is what it claims to be? I mean, it looks neat and everything, but how do we know that it wasn't created by some fan and put up as if it were really what was planned?

Andrew
05-15-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Bill Catherall
How do we know that map really is what it claims to be? I mean, it looks neat and everything, but how do we know that it wasn't created by some fan and put up as if it were really what was planned?

It's real. I have a copy of the WESTCOT press kit somewhere. In the early 90s, there was a WESTCOT information center over at the Disneyland Hotel--in that odd sunken building next to the TravelPort. They had maps, information booklets, and a scale model.

The map and model were later altered when WESTCOT was scrapped in favor of DCA.

Bill Catherall
05-15-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Andrew
It's real. I have a copy of the WESTCOT press kit somewhere. Then I guess that settles it. :D

screamin4ever
05-15-2003, 05:59 PM
Exactly what I have from the Daily Breeze article oh so many years ago. Too bad we didn't get the connected waterways with water taxis. That would have been fantastic.

MonorailMan
05-15-2003, 08:44 PM
WAH! I wanted people movers from the garage! Not just some stinky tram! :crying: