PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter Lite Day at Disneyland

Tinkermommy
03-11-2011, 05:53 AM
It occurred to me that I haven't seen anything posted here, but Sunday 3/13 is Harry Potter Lite Day at Disneyland. There's a group of Harry Potter fans that holds an annual day at Disneyland (like Bats Day), and they're having a scaled-down version Sunday.

I don't think it will affect crowds (I read somewhere they get around 150 people), but wanted to mention it in case anybody else is into Harry Potter. A group of us is taking our kids (and trying to figure out how much we can get away with in terms of costumes...:p)

rph13
03-11-2011, 06:06 AM
my kids would love this. too bad I am on the wrong coast:eyeroll:

I would think that anyone who is dressing up as one of the main characters could get away with the school uniform and a cape. The cape may have to be removed for rides as it may get in the way. But the rest just looks like normal clothes.

Tinkermommy
03-11-2011, 08:18 AM
They're going to wear their uniforms for sure -- in fact, they've worn them to Disneyland several times on "normal" days. (We have weird kids. They also went in Kingdom Hearts wigs once with Organization 13 shirts they made.)

I'm wondering if they can wear the robes. I'm sure they'll get too hot to wear them before long, but I'd LOVE to get a picture of them in front of the castle in their wizard robes! I suspect not, but I've seen some pretty costume-y costumes on Bats Day...maybe I'll just bring it and hope for the best.

cheshirecatgirl
03-11-2011, 08:35 AM
Ooh, I would like to go!

lola2009
03-11-2011, 10:03 AM
Oh my best friends DD would love this. I hope you post pics Tinkermommy

MatthewHansen
03-12-2011, 08:49 PM
My wife and I are heading down in the morning and you totally just added to our excitement! :)

cheshirecatgirl
03-12-2011, 08:50 PM
I'll be there tomorrow, too!

disneylandkitty
03-12-2011, 10:20 PM
I don't think disney would have a problem with robes... i go every weekend and have seen alot worse.

kelli1rose
03-13-2011, 01:56 PM
We saw three "students" while in line for Tangled........ hope they enjoyed the Harry Potter meet up!

Tinkermommy
03-13-2011, 05:49 PM
Had a great time! We sent the four "Hogwarts students" to the first meet-up while my bff and I went for pedicures at the Mandara Spa at the Grand Californian (for her birthday. LOVED that!).

We returned about half an hour into the meet up to find them playing Potter-themed charades. Very nice group -- around 50 -- and the kids had a lot of fun. I love times like this when strangers with common interests meet for the first time and hit it off immediately!

The group was planning another meet-up for Turtle Talk with Crush and dancing at Electronica, but our pals had a long drive so we left before that took place. We're very much looking forward to the full-blown Harry Potter Day at Disneyland in November.

The answer to the robe question is "nope." The kids wore them into the park, and we got some wonderful pictures at the train station (Platform 9 3/4 doesn't work there, in case anybody was wondering :p); outside the fire station (wand salute to Walt) and outside the castle, but we were then approached by security, who asked us to have the kids take off their robes. The rest of the school uniform was fine. They were VERY nice about it, and they waited to say anything until we got our castle picture (by the owl statue!), which we thought was very nice. So we rented a locker, stored the robes, and had an awesome rest of the day. Good times!

leota's necklace
03-14-2011, 10:12 AM
That photo is aDORable.

lola2009
03-14-2011, 10:14 AM
That photo is aDORable.

I second that!

cheshirecatgirl
03-14-2011, 10:28 AM
I ran into the group a couple of times. I had to stop and admire some of their shirts and outfits. One girl had a Wall-E backpack which she'd embellished with Harry glasses and a Gryffindor tie! One lady was dressed in Gryffindor colors, but hippie style! I saw a girl with a T shirt that said Slug Club. There was a boy with a Felix Felicis shirt, and another boy dressed as Professor Quirrell with the purple turban. Very cute! I may have to attend the big day in Nov!

Oh, I see the turban guy in your picture, Tinkermommy! And I also saw a girl decked out as Luna Lovegood, with spectrespecs and dirigible plum earrings.

Tinkermommy
03-14-2011, 03:05 PM
I see the turban guy in your picture, Tinkermommy! And I also saw a girl decked out as Luna Lovegood, with spectrespecs and dirigible plum earrings.

Yes indeedy, that's my bff's son! The girl trying to push them through the platform was also Luna. She has the perfect hair for it! These kids were part of a huge group of us that went to the midnight showing of the last HP film. We had a Hagrid, Trelawny, Molly Weasley, Bellatrix, Quirrell, Mad-Eye Moody, a dementor, students from multiple houses -- even Moaning Myrtle. It was so much fun -- people in line for the movie kept asking to be photographed with our group.

We had so much fun taking the pictures at DL. We got another one at the train station with a conductor pointing the way to the train to Hogwarts, and another of the four kids standing under Walt's window with the tips of their wands pointed up and touching. We took another from the side of the castle where the owl statue is. It was fun while it lasted! (I wish I'd thought to ask security to take a pic with them -- that's something we'll likely never see again! :p)

We're normally rule-followers. The only reason we thought the robes might be allowed and took the chance was because I thought about all the over-the-top costumes I've seen on Bat's Day. They explained to us that they don't want guests confusing other guests in costumes with official characters. I get that -- we were immediately stopped on Main Street by some guys who wanted a picture with the kids. In any case, it all worked out and was a lot of fun.

Thanks for the comments on the picture -- our kids are big goofballs who never seem to mind having it captured on film!

CariBelle
03-14-2011, 04:03 PM
I'm glad they had a great time TinkerMommy!

dlfansx4
03-14-2011, 04:05 PM
Oh, that looks like it was so much fun! I love the picture at the train platform!!