PDA

View Full Version : Good jobs?

TruCinderella
05-13-2003, 05:12 PM
I got a job offer at DLR, I asked to be put in attractions, and they agreed at first. But due to back problems they said perhaps I'd be better off somewhere else. According to my dr. i cant lift more then 20 lbs. So far the suggestions have been gift shop, or restuarants.
Has anyone had experience working in these areas? Are they good summer jobs?
Also any other ideas of good places to work in the park (keeping in mind my back restrictions:) )
thanks in advance

swtkissez
05-13-2003, 06:56 PM
I don't think foods would be good because alot of the times you might have to lift things over twenty pounds. what about the ticket takers or guest relations?? Just a suggestion, good luck to you.:)

Niwel
05-13-2003, 08:06 PM
I wonder where in Attractions they wanted to put you. I don't recall ever having to lift that much or on what attraction you would ever need to lift that much. I would think you'd have to lift boxes in ODV, food service and merchandise. I agree that ticket-taking would probably be the least strenuous on your back -- provided you don't have problems standing.
Being inside is a great advantage during the summer because you do get air conditioning. If you end up with a job at food register -- where you get to sit down -- it might work for you.

swtkissez
05-14-2003, 10:27 AM
What about costuming??? i know when people have medical restrictions they are sent to costuming (sometimes) for the duration of thier "restriction." But this might not work if u have your heart set on being in the park(s). Good luck again. :)

TruCinderella
05-14-2003, 01:20 PM
thanks guys. It looks like I'll be put in a store or restuarant. My brother has a friend who worked in costuming and said that it involves alot of lifting as well. He also said the best he could think would be in a gift shop.

And I dont think ticket taker would work because I can't stand in one spot for extended periods of time (I had scoliosis surgery, where they put steel rods on either side of my spine. So standing in a spot for a while becomes painful, and obviously I can't be lifting alot of heavy things)

So I'll just have to see how things turn out
thanks for the suggestions

PurpleR
05-14-2003, 04:18 PM
swtkissez-

i just got hired at dl but i'd rather work at dca. do you have any advice for me?

swtkissez
05-14-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by PurpleR
swtkissez-

i just got hired at dl but i'd rather work at dca. do you have any advice for me?

umm, i would say talk to scheduling to see if you've been crossed trained and then later transfer over...hope this helps..g'luck

:cool:

swtkissez
05-14-2003, 04:24 PM
if you could be cross-trained..my bad..hehe

bluepearl
05-14-2003, 05:06 PM
The thing that sucks about transferring is that you lose your seniority. But when my six months came up, I figured it wouldn't be a loss since my seniority was still pretty non-existant (yet I'm still in the same place, go fig).

I went to scheduling to find out if there were any open positions in places I wanted to transfer to and some of the schedulers told me to just submit my completed transfer application and cross my fingers.

And the summer job - it's gonna be an experience all right. You definitely get to meet a lot of new people to work with, as well as encountering hundreds of guests throughout the course of the summer. The hours can be very late, too. I don't recall having to lift many heavy things as an on-stage Merchandise CM (though if you're doing go-backs in a store like ours they do get heavy), but definitely if you're doing stock you'll be lifting heavy things. However, there are CMs that have limited work restrictions in stock and do other things.