PDA

View Full Version : An idea: Great Moments with Walt Disney?

Pages : [1] 2

Disneyphile
05-13-2003, 12:30 PM
Just rambling off another idea for the 50th:

How about putting an AA Walt in place of Lincoln, and have him do a little historical presentation about Disneyland, starting off with his opening day speech?

Or would seeing an AA Walt be just a little creepy?

I, for one, would definitely wait in line to see it! :D

lazyboy97O
05-13-2003, 12:38 PM
I think they'd have to leave Lincoln. Didn't people get upset when he left the first time? I think that would be rather cool though, yet I never saw Great Moments.

Why make an aa Walt when they could just go revive him. His cryo chamber is right their under Pirates.;)

Toady The Eighth
05-13-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Disneyphile
Or would seeing an AA Walt be just a little creepy?

:D Creepy for me I think... I'd rather remember Walt as he was.. Lincoln and all the Pirate's AA's would probably creep me out, if I had seen them live on TV personally..

Interesting idea though.

merlinjones
05-13-2003, 02:35 PM
I like this idea alot.

If Lincoln moved to Frontierland or New Orleans Square (Golden Horseshoe? Disney Gallery?), Walt could rule the opera house.

Pad the lobby with more memorabilia from the Archives... make it a true Walt Museum. Bring back the "stolen" office from WDW.

The theatre presentation could start with the "One Man's Dream" film, then open out to show Walt at one of his office sets (use the real props!), giving his Showman of the World speech, or a comparable assessment of the Disney touch and Disneyland in particular. In the end, AA Walt is surrounded by a montage film of his most moving accomplishments, along with the Wonderful World of Color song, the traditional fireworks, castle and Tinkerbell.

This would be a great addition for the 50th anniversary! And not really very expensive!

Disneyphile
05-13-2003, 02:52 PM
Oooooh, good ideas Merlinjones! :D

I'm already getting misty-eyed thinking about the impact a show like that would have.

I think Walt would be honored to have himself depicted as an attraction - he always was fascinated by technology.:)

Now, if they could take it an extra step and use that free-walking AA dinosaur idea, and have him actually walk the park and be available for photo ops......... er, no.... now that would be creepy. Plus, I'm sure some of us Disney fanatics would get upset at seeing some wisecrackers trying to push him over. ;)

innerSpaceman
05-13-2003, 02:53 PM
I have always thought that an AA Walt belonged in the Opera House, with Abe relocated to Frontierland or (gasp) retired altogether.

I wasn't even going to bother to post this, because merlinjones - who must have been separated from me before birth via split of a single embryo - has, as usual, already posted my exact thoughts above.

mousketeer
05-13-2003, 08:41 PM
I would only support this idea if Mr. Lincoln was given a proper home. This is one of Paul Pressler's only good achievements (that's not saying much, though), and is a must for every one of my Disney visity. I love the idea because it is original and new, but could also jeopardize one of Walt's crowning accomplishments - what's that saying for his park's 50th anniversary.

JenGood008
05-13-2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by merlinjones
I like this idea alot.

If Lincoln moved to Frontierland or New Orleans Square (Golden Horseshoe? Disney Gallery?), Walt could rule the opera house.

Pad the lobby with more memorabilia from the Archives... make it a true Walt Museum. Bring back the "stolen" office from WDW.

The theatre presentation could start with the "One Man's Dream" film, then open out to show Walt at one of his office sets (use the real props!), giving his Showman of the World speech, or a comparable assessment of the Disney touch and Disneyland in particular. In the end, AA Walt is surrounded by a montage film of his most moving accomplishments, along with the Wonderful World of Color song, the traditional fireworks, castle and Tinkerbell.

This would be a great addition for the 50th anniversary! And not really very expensive!

What a fantastic idea! That way we could have the best of both worlds. What a nice 50th b'day present it would be to have the creator of it all "back", in a way. Sorry if that was a bit cheesy, I couldn't help myself :D

merlinjones
05-13-2003, 10:21 PM
>>I wasn't even going to bother to post this, because merlinjones - who must have been separated from me before birth via split of a single embryo - has, as usual, already posted my exact thoughts above.<<

I'm hoping there will be some sort of Crisis on Infinite Earths when we finally meet!

Lashbear
05-13-2003, 10:27 PM
Well, I sincerely hope the Imagineers scan these boards to get ideas for attractions, because I for one would be on the first plane to the USA if they ever brought Walt "to life" in a presentartion of his own !!!

...Wouldn't Eisner find it a little threatening, though?

Disneyphile
05-14-2003, 08:11 AM
Well, if Eisner felt threatened, they can make a free-standing AA of him walk around the park. Now that's one I'd definitely tip over.

Hmmmm.... "Eisner-tipping" - it could be an attraction all to itself! :~D

I'm going to attempt to send in the Walt AA idea and see what happens. I'd probably just get the canned response, but who knows? Miracles can happen. :)

jrad32
05-14-2003, 08:41 AM
Nice "Crisis" reference Merlin. I just hope you guys don't end up like the Flash.

merlinjones
05-14-2003, 09:49 AM
>>Nice "Crisis" reference Merlin. I just hope you guys don't end up like the Flash.<<

I, for one, will go out like Supergirl.

RStar
05-14-2003, 11:34 AM
They could make a "Roaming AA" be Walt rather than a dinosaur, so he can walk the park before opening.

No, too creepy..........

Nigel2
05-14-2003, 10:02 PM
I thought Walt didn't want an AA of himself?

Plus they did try to do a "Walt Disney Story" only attraction, if I remember correctly, and people wanted Lincoln back.

CrayZforDisney
05-18-2003, 06:41 AM
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln is not particularly popular, and I think if Walt Disney was put in Abe Lincoln's place, than it would definitely bring popularity to that area in Main Street. Great Idea :), Disneyphile!

Kuzcotopia
05-18-2003, 08:13 PM
I say do it!

With film footage, and a really really good animatronic.

But not a stilted "speech show" like Lincoln.

That's the real problem with Lincoln, they build it up with all these whiz-bang effects, then when the figure is finally reveals, he just stands and talks. SNORE.

The Walt I want to see, is the Walt from the old Wonderful World of Disney. The Walt who could do Magic himself. He would talk with tinkerbell. He could out-conjure the Magic Mirror. He had access to all the Disney magic.

Walt could be at his desk, talking about Animation. As he speaks, he could cross from his desk to the bookshelf. With a snap of his fingers, books would fly across the room, pages flipping, animation flipbooking as it goes. Another snap, and the classic images come to life before our eyes, filling the scene with color and life.

He could speak about animatronics, and Jose the Parrot could come to life, from sitting on a perch on Walt's desk. Walt could speak about animatronics, and could hint that the next step would be using the same technique on humans. Careful viewers would see Walt wink.

Disneyphile
05-19-2003, 08:03 AM
Wow!! What great ideas everyone has on this one. :D

I'm just going to send Disney a link to this thread and hopefully they'll actually read it. :)

raider
05-19-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Kuzcotopia
I say do it!

That's the real problem with Lincoln, they build it up with all these whiz-bang effects, then when the figure is finally reveals, he just stands and talks. SNORE.

The Walt I want to see, is the Walt from the old Wonderful World of Disney. The Walt who could do Magic himself. He would talk with tinkerbell. He could out-conjure the Magic Mirror. He had access to all the Disney magic.

Walt could be at his desk, talking about Animation. As he speaks, he could cross from his desk to the bookshelf. With a snap of his fingers, books would fly across the room, pages flipping, animation flipbooking as it goes. Another snap, and the classic images come to life before our eyes, filling the scene with color and life.

He could speak about animatronics, and Jose the Parrot could come to life, from sitting on a perch on Walt's desk. Walt could speak about animatronics, and could hint that the next step would be using the same technique on humans. Careful viewers would see Walt wink.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I would just add that I have always hoped that they could somehow incorporate (copy?) the effects used in Knott's Mystery Lodge attaction!

Nigel2
05-19-2003, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by CrayZforDisney
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln is not particularly popular, and I think if Walt Disney was put in Abe Lincoln's place, than it would definitely bring popularity to that area in Main Street. Great Idea :), Disneyphile!

Well a sit down show that is mainly historical in nature is never that popular to begin with.

Spot
05-20-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Kuzcotopia
I say do it!

Wow its like you read my mind. I often thought how cool it would be if they could replicate the Disneyland/Wonderfull World Of Color/Wonderfull World Of Disney with an animatronic Walt. Even all the spiffy F/X. They could program a bunch of shows so you would want to go back many times. Plus they coudl sell a bunch of the Disney Treasures DVD's as you leave.

smd4
05-20-2003, 01:55 PM
I say do it! With film footage, and a really really good animatronic.

Kuz! With all the lip service you paid saying that it was incredibly wrong for us to tell ghost stories about actual people killed in the park because it might upset their relative on the "Is Disneyland Haunted?" thread, I can't BELIEVE you're in support of this idea.

You really think the surviving members of the Disney family would enjoy seeing a robotic facsimile of their patriarch? Or even knowing one exists?

Why do all you folks want to defile the memories of Walt by watching some dopey imagineer's INTERPRETATION of him?

Shelve this idea, and QUICKLY!

Disneyphile
05-20-2003, 02:08 PM
Wow! Ya know, I never thought about that. I bet Lincoln's descendents are quite upset too. Better close down Lincoln. Oh, and Hall of Presidents at WDW too. And wait a second - what about the images of those in DCA's Golden Dreams attraction? Some are deceased. Gotta scrap that too. No sense in turning a dead person into an attraction. Nope. It's totally uncalled for. :rolleyes:

And I never knew "Dopey" is an Imagineer. I thought he was too busy working in the mines with his other 6 companions. Wow! Learnin' something new all the time! :p

Nigel2
05-20-2003, 09:39 PM
Try thinking a little more recent, Hall of Presidents anyone? I doubt that there are many complaints from the children of deceased presidents that served from the 1950's on.

Kuzcotopia
05-20-2003, 10:10 PM
I think Steve is pulling an old argument into a new thread. It's usually considered a faux-pas, as it pulls all topics off-topic.

Back to the discussion points, an animatronic version of Walt is just as respectful as any motion-picture or photographic or sculpted likeness currently on display in the park.

Animatronic Animation was, to Walt, a high art. As noble as the techniques of the old masters.